Opinion OFFICIAL: Josh Walker traded for Brisbane's 2016 3rd Rd pick (Jansen = steak knives)

Remove this Banner Ad

22 years old 30 games over half played out of position good tank sound body and some up side,will he be A grade no B grade doubtfull,the question of make it is one that baffles me, what is make it? and when has some one actually seen as made it.

at the end of the day, he's done just enough to remain on the list. It is not as though he has been completely overawed. He has not spud it up every game. There has been inconsistencies but he's helped in ruck, taken plenty of one-on-one marks and provided much needed support for Hawkins.
He's clearly good enough to get a gig next year (if not with us, some other club).
Whether he starts next year or not is irrelevant. What he does with those limited opportunities will make or break his career so he'll need to ensure he's ready for when that time comes along.

I'm guessing he won't have to wait long if Mitch Clark is part of the future plans. That bloke is as injury-prone as they get.

When looking at shot accuracy you can't just stick with Goals and Behinds, it is necessary to look at how many shots the players take that don't register a score. While has a comparable Goal scoring percentage, a significant amount of his shots don't result in a score. My theory is that people perception of accuracy is more affected by how frequently a player messes up rather than there goal kicking percentage. A good example of this is comparing the Goal kicking accuracy of Lonergan(in 2008) and Mooney (in 2009) both at the time had the perception of being ordinary kicks for goal, even though Lonergan had a respectable 56% goal accuracy it is because on averaged a shot that didn't result in a score every second week. While Mooney who earned his reputation had an awful goal kicking percentage of 46% was similarly missing all scores with a set shot almost every 2nd week. In recent weeks Walker has had a particularly poor run of shots including multiple out on the fulls which naturally makes people doubt his goal kicking skills.

View attachment 167852
I was looking at the goal kicking accuracy of Hawkins and Walker last night, 10lana. Tom's was 68-something, Walker's 61%- both quite respectable. Not sure if that was career or just this season.
Are your stats just from this year for both of those players?

Edit- dumb question. Just looked at the goal tallies and I have my answer. :oops: sorry. I just homed in on the %s.

Unless specified the stats are career wide at Geelong

After the Brisbane match, Walker was close to Hawkins in Goal accuracy, he's just had a horrible month. He's running at 51.6% this year while Hawkins is at 59.7%.

Unless specified the stats are career wide at Geelong

After the Brisbane match, Walker was close to Hawkins in Goal accuracy, he's just had a horrible month. He's running at 51.6% this year while Hawkins is at 59.7%.
I had looked up the AFL stats site- assume that was just for this year because it listed all players.

Forget Marcus he shouldn't be on that list 5 games and look at the rest.
Walker 31 games for 32 goals 19 behinds.Still on the list age 22
Brown the bloke everyone tells me is a great kick 15 games for 9 goals 9 behinds so you can put that down as bullshit.Delisted age 24
McCarthy 22 games for 24 goals 13 behinds delisted at age 24.
Playfair 52 games at Geelong kicked 29 goals 21 behinds,left Geelong at age 24 and went to Sydney played 16 games for 14 goals 11 behinds retired age 27.
As you can see If you indeed want to Walkers a better set shot on goal than the lot gets more opportunities and is two year younger.Josh was also the youngest to debut.
goal kicking is the least of walkers problems.

Oh there were a HEAP of posters who said Blicavs wouldn't make it, Seeds- as well as refused to acknowledge that he was better learning on the job in the seniors, he was such a quick study.
I think it was more learning on the job at the detriment of team success. He was awful in the 2013 and 2014 finals series, although in the latter we didn't have any choices, in 2013 we should of gone with West. There may of been some who thought he would never make it, but I don't think their were many. It was more about him playing early on and in the ruck that myself and others questioned. Whilst he will never be a first ruck I have changed my mind on his ability to play a second ruck role though.

I think it was more learning on the job at the detriment of team success. He was awful in the 2013 and 2014 finals series, although in the latter we didn't have any choices, in 2013 we should of gone with West. There may of been some who thought he would never make it, but I don't think their were many. It was more about him playing early on and in the ruck that myself and others questioned. Whilst he will never be a first ruck I have changed my mind on his ability to play a second ruck role though.

Very well summed up.

Maybe I misinterpreted all the rubbish being spouted about him in his first two seasons- perhaps it was frustration at him playing seniors.
How do you see that decision now, Seeds. Was it the right call to fast-track him or do you think he'd have been better off in the VFL?

IMO he'd have been too good for VFL and wouldn't have benefited as much if he'd spent 2 years there. Especially with his keenness to learn and develop. Now we've reaped the benefits of that exposure to senior footy- he has an extra 40+ games under his belt than he'd have otherwise had.

Maybe I misinterpreted all the rubbish being spouted about him in his first two seasons- perhaps it was frustration at him playing seniors.
How do you see that decision now, Seeds. Was it the right call to fast-track him or do you think he'd have been better off in the VFL?

IMO he'd have been too good for VFL and wouldn't have benefited as much if he'd spent 2 years there. Especially with his keenness to learn and develop. Now we've reaped the benefits of that exposure to senior footy- he has an extra 40+ games under his belt than he'd have otherwise had.
if Stanley, Clarke & Vardy are available do you think that he will get a game in the seniors?

I know this wasn't directed at me but I'm eating humble pie with blitz, and pleased to be.

If you read some of my older post you would think I was a loon.

I thought he was an athlete not a footballer and would never make it :drunk:

Forget Marcus he shouldn't be on that list 5 games and look at the rest.
Walker 31 games for 32 goals 19 behinds.Still on the list age 22
Brown the bloke everyone tells me is a great kick 15 games for 9 goals 9 behinds so you can put that down as bullshit.Delisted age 24
McCarthy 22 games for 24 goals 13 behinds delisted at age 24.
Playfair 52 games at Geelong kicked 29 goals 21 behinds,left Geelong at age 24 and went to Sydney played 16 games for 14 goals 11 behinds retired age 27.
As you can see If you indeed want to Walkers a better set shot on goal than the lot gets more opportunities and is two year younger.Josh was also the youngest to debut.

do you even watch the games?

for starters Walker gets goals by being slightly bigger than his sometimes smaller opponents and marking in the square, he also gets a lot of Joe the Goose goals

the problem with him is that he has limited upside due to his kicking skills and ability to read the play, this means that against top sides with good defenders (who match him for size) he tends to get beaten fairly easily

Mitch Brown, everyone's favourite scapegoat is a way better kick, you only need to watch his field kicking

saying Walker is a better kick because his goal kicking efficiency is higher is laughable, lets be realistic

22 years old 30 games over half played out of position good tank sound body and some up side,will he be A grade no B grade doubtfull,the question of make it is one that baffles me, what is make it? and when has some one actually seen as made it.

Yep, both his defensive work and his durability seem to be being ignored by those who are critical. He also doesn't have that strut that people like to see in key forwards. I would like him to be kept, although I've got my doubts about him moving to defence. Physically, yes, but not sure about his distribution under pressure. Mind you, worked for Lonergan who went from fringe to lynchpin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't the right call for our 2013 campaign where we were a serious shot at a flag and in the end winning flags is all that matters. As for his own development it certainly would of helped Blicavs become a better ruckman and midfield player although it's been at the detriment of him learning to be a defender. We probably will never know now how good he could be as a third defender or centre half back.

Exactly. And the truth is until Clark and Stanley went down walker was never gonna play 1's - he's a backup forward on a minimum contract. And that's how he plays. I've realised that most of life's disappointments come from unrealistic expectations.

So with walker - understand tht he's not a senior afl forward. He's a good vfl player. No crime in that! But don't have an unrealistic expectation. He's never gonna win you a game or kick 8 in a game. He'll kick 5 in a mauling of the substandard lions. Cos that's vfl intensity and opposition. As next year if es still on the list - if Clark, Hawkins, Vardy ad Stanley are fit, he'll play vfl all year.

Oh that is so cruel and so true.

Big "if" though - Let's imagine Clark might not be there, and one of Vardy or Stanely injured, potentially both. (Just like this year.)

Because part of those unrealistic expectations, club's and fans', seems to be that everyone will be recovered from their injuries next year and there won't be any new ones. Durability is under-rated, and some players (like Mackie) who don't miss games almost seem to be under-rated because they are never a drama.

Walker helps to cover for Hawkins' immobility in the forward half - how often do we see an opposition halfback flanker or pocket run around Hawkins and set up the next attack? That's why we can't work on the Mooney principle of batting it down to crumbers - because if Hawk doesn't take a clean mark, it's usually back at halfway in about five seconds. Would much prefer Walks was kept, and at least tried down back.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I'm eating humble pie with blitz, and pleased to be.

If you read some of my older post you would think I was a loon.

I thought he was an athlete not a footballer and would never make it :drunk:

you are not alone..
some very astute posters missed that one. And fair enough too. The odds are very against. And for mine its not always about how got it ought or wrong, but more about the fact they can admit the outcome was bette than they thought it would be and that the club is better off for it…

Go Catters

If Hawkins is an 8/10 key forward, mooney is a 7, pods a 5.5... Then walker is a 3.

A solid option to have on your list for soley a back up to play 3-5 games a year to only maintain structure when the first choice CHF is out, but nothing more than that.

The fact we happen to have an injury prone chf is the only reason he is in. And it has cost us.

Walker = playfair = McCarthy = journeyman without the talent to take us back into premiership contention.

If anyone thinks walker is our long term plan at chf they are kidding themselves and need to take the blue and white glasses off. We won't have a premiership forward line with someone of such low quality in such a key post.

Yes I do- sorry, just realised you might think my post above was about Walker but it was referring to Blicavs. Walker- no. Blitz - yes, as a midfielder.
Yes I do- sorry, just realised you might think my post above was about Walker but it was referring to Blicavs. Walker- no. Blitz - yes, as a midfielder.
sorry, did think you were talking about Walker. The only question about Blitz is to find his best position.

Second ruckman would be my bet right now. Allowing him to rotate through the middle as well. That way he doesn't need to get 20+ touches as a midfielder, nor get 30 hitouts to be effective.
My dream would be Stanley as no 1 ruck, with Clarke & Vardy sharing second duties. Blitz either ruck rover or on the wing.

My dream would be Stanley as no 1 ruck, with Clarke & Vardy sharing second duties. Blitz either ruck rover or on the wing.
Stanley isn't a no 1 ruck though. He is a excellent 2nd ruck / 3rd tall forward but a number 1 Ruckman never will he be.

Stanley isn't a no 1 ruck though. He is a excellent 2nd ruck / 3rd tall forward but a number 1 Ruckman never will he be.
still a better ruckman that the alternatives we have IMO

Which is why we should be chasing a Ruckman as a priority this offseason
agree in theory, and we aren't the only club in that boat. But if we are truly in line for Danger, Selwood V2 & Henderson it's a bit hard to see.

wish we had got Big Boy McEvoy .....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back