Remove this Banner Ad

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Why do you think it's so impossible for him to go back to the Force? The whole coaching team has changed there.

I doubt he'd go to Japan at this stage in his career. He'd be more likely to go to league.

I think he'll stay in Australian rugby though. While not a 10, he is still a gun player. Surely the reds have space for him with Ioane leaving?

For the same reason the Rebels let him go, the Force know exactly what JOC brings on and off the field. The kid is a disruptive influence. The off field stuff outweighs the on field and that's saying something considering how talented he is.

The Reds head coach will be Richard Graham and a certain Quade Cooper has been incident free for a good year. I think that's enough to rule out the Reds.

The Brumbies have publicly ruled out going after JOC after they were linked to him. Even if they were interested, it really wouldn't be worth it Toomua, Lilo and Mogg occupy the positions he would potentially play, unless he wants to play wing. I don't think there's a chance JOC would be willing to play on the wing at Super rugby level.

The Waratahs are the only viable option. They've already made clear they're going after Beale and if they get him, JOC is sure as hell not following him. Folau's price has also gone up considerably so salary could be a potential sticking point.

JOC could very well end up in league, but a year in the wilderness to burst that ego of his will be good for him, if it comes to that.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Why do you think it's so impossible for him to go back to the Force? The whole coaching team has changed there.

I doubt he'd go to Japan at this stage in his career. He'd be more likely to go to league.

I think he'll stay in Australian rugby though. While not a 10, he is still a gun player. Surely the reds have space for him with Ioane leaving?

Yeh surely the Reds will go for him. Hometown, playing with his mates (although that could be unwanted, who knows).

A friend of mine who works at one of those big sporting management companies told me last week that Kurtley is a Waratah already. Perhaps a contract hasn't been signed but he is as good as delivered, he told me. Make of that what you will but he has a decent track record with these things.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Yeh surely the Reds will go for him. Hometown, playing with his mates (although that could be unwanted, who knows).

A friend of mine who works at one of those big sporting management companies told me last week that Kurtley is a Waratah already. Perhaps a contract hasn't been signed but he is as good as delivered, he told me. Make of that what you will but he has a decent track record with these things.

I've heard the same regarding Beale, but that was well before the Rebels started to show interest again.

There's more to the story than the press are reporting. JOC will find it hard to play for another Australian team. The Western Force are apparently open to him, which is a great surprise considering some officials hate his guts. I doubt they will be once they hear the latest on JOC.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I guess it will come down to whether the ARU re-signs him. If they do then one of the super rugby teams will be obliged to pick him up as was the case with Rocky Elsom a few years ago.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...ck-james-oconnor/story-fndptz3t-1226676494594

"He has been an outstanding player for the club and he is a Wallaby. No one questions his playing ability," Higginbotham told reporters.
"It was more a selection issue and how the club felt he fitted into the team dynamic.
"With a lot of young guys coming through and new guys shining, it was a time start fresh.
"It was a good opportunity and I think it's just what had to happen."

Pretty scathing from a player who doesn't mind a drink himself. Higginbotham is becoming a real leader at the Rebels, should be captain next year.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Higginbotham is becoming a real leader at the Rebels, should be captain next year.

Basically already is. Delve has been played off the bench after his early season injury and thus Higginbotham has been the Starting Captain. No reason he won't continue next season in the full role.

Melbourne developed their original squad based on team ethics and leadership and the likes of O'Connor, Beale and Vuna have decided that they want to work outside those areas. The club has already released Vuna for his contract early and not offered O'Connor a new contract in the hope of regaining Beale with him and O'Connor not being together helping him.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
EFA?

But go on.

Bad phrasing on my part.

Apparently Beale is off to the Tahs; talk of the Rebels trying to retain him is a smokescreen. They're after a bigger fish.

* All from second hand information. Could be all BS.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I see. A NSW-born, QLD-origin-representing, Mormon fish?

Yep, he could be the highest paid Australian player by the end of the month.

James King, JOC's roommate, also apparently tweeted that JOC will leave Australia.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I see. A NSW-born, QLD-origin-representing, Mormon fish?
Yep, he could be the highest paid Australian player by the end of the month.

While a move to Melbourne would be a return of sorts, even I just can't see it happening....but if true, one hell of a smoke screen.

James King, JOC's roommate, also apparently tweeted that JOC will leave Australia.

Not that JOC's inner-circle tweets are well informed:D

With some Force players not warm to the idea of him returning, I'm not too surprised at such a move. Most French clubs have their imports selected for next season and thus not a huge market for him, so I still think a year in Japan looks the most likely route for JOC at this stage before either returning to Australia or moving to Europe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Some of the press have started to run the story that I was told earlier this week. JOC missed the debrief after the game on Saturday. He was the only player missing. I was absolutely staggered and bewildered when an ARU official told me that on Sunday. He deserves to get cut, he will never ever learn.

Let's see, in the space of one week he's been able to do:

-Be out at 4am with Kurtley Beale, who has been receiving counselling for alcohol related problems.
-Miss the team bus on the eve of one of the most important matches in Australian history.
-Apologize in front of teammates in a sarcastic manner.
-Go out the night after a pretty disastorous defeat at King Cross at 5am.
-Miss the team debrief and Deans last address to the players.

Great way to show respect to a coach that pretty much backed him 100% in the face of popular opinion. It's no surprise the McGahan and the Rebels cut him loose hours later.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
For all Lions talk of the Rebels going after Folau, surely they'll need to try and find a decent play maker. Not many creative players in their squad for next season!

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
For all Lions talk of the Rebels going after Folau, surely they'll need to try and find a decent play maker. Not many creative players in their squad for next season!

We're certainly losing a lot of 'pizazz'. Hegarty showed some good signs last night, and I was disappointed that Stirzaker didn't get a run-but obviously Hill didn't want to disrupt the momentum of the game-so hopefully those two will really step it up next year.

If we can play a whole game like we did the last 30 minutes last night, I think we'll be A-OK. The club culture should definitely improve so hopefully that can be replicated on-field also.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We're certainly losing a lot of 'pizazz'. Hegarty showed some good signs last night, and I was disappointed that Stirzaker didn't get a run-but obviously Hill didn't want to disrupt the momentum of the game-so hopefully those two will really step it up next year.

If we can play a whole game like we did the last 30 minutes last night, I think we'll be A-OK. The club culture should definitely improve so hopefully that can be replicated on-field also.

Hegarty looks like he could be good but at this stage he wouldn't start at 10 for any other team in the competition. And what if he's injured?

9 isn't a problem for you. Burgess and Stirzaker are both good. It's 10 and 12 where the rebels look really weak. They'll have to make a smart buy in that area. Probably an import.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy

Yeah, I think the Rebels going on the front foot regarding Beale means that they've given up on Folau. I wouldn't be surprised if Folau is announced on Monday or Tuesday.

I don't think the Rebels need a star player. I think they'll look around the Shute shield and Premier grade for replacements. The likes of Sam Lane and Sam Greene should be high on the Rebels list and they should be enough to consolidate their list.

Bryce Hegarty didn't get the same hype of JOC, Quade Cooper, Kurtley Beale or Matt Toomua coming out of school, but he was every bit as talented. His 2 years in Rugby League didn't really help him out but he's shown steady improvements and looks a future Wallaby. Jason Woodward is the big one IMO. I reckon he's the reason why JOC and Beale were discarded so ruthlessly. I'm going to say it now, he'll be better than both of them in a couple of years. Angus Roberts is no slouch aswell. I reckon they've got JOC pretty much covered. Beale is probably their best flyhalf but Hegarty has shown enough to make his dispensable.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Jason Woodward is the big one IMO. I reckon he's the reason why JOC and Beale were discarded so ruthlessly. I'm going to say it now, he'll be better than both of them in a couple of years. Angus Roberts is no slouch aswell. I reckon they've got JOC pretty much covered. Beale is probably their best flyhalf but Hegarty has shown enough to make his dispensable.

Wholeheartedly agree on Woodward. He has flashes of brilliance at the moment, with a bit more experience he will be a superstar.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Benji Marshall could be an option? The Rebels could easily pay his wage without any assistance from the ARU.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Benji Marshall could be an option? The Rebels could easily pay his wage without any assistance from the ARU.

I would have thought the max they would be able to offer under the cap to any single player would be in the vicinity of 450-500k? Benji would get a lot more in league or Japanese rugby. Though maybe there's some big sponsorship agreement lined up for him.

I think the marketing aspect would be a big reason for any club to sign him. Marshall is a household name in NSW and QLD but would he really bring in more bums on seats in Melbourne? Would the rebels be getting good value paying top dollar for him?

I can't imagine how the tahs could even get close to affording him unless Folau is leaving.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I would have thought the max they would be able to offer under the cap to any single player would be in the vicinity of 450-500k? Benji would get a lot more in league or Japanese rugby. Though maybe there's some big sponsorship agreement lined up for him.

I think the marketing aspect would be a big reason for any club to sign him. Marshall is a household name in NSW and QLD but would he really bring in more bums on seats in Melbourne? Would the rebels be getting good value paying top dollar for him?

I can't imagine how the tahs could even get close to affording him unless Folau is leaving.

Benji Marshall would be included as a foreign player. The Rebels could pay him 1m+ per year and it would go down as 148k~ in the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back