Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Aph should be back from Chaddy later this afternoon, so I'm guessing it's up tonight.

ODN is doing the Rnd 1 preview.

Hayward is guy we really need but he is a pipe dream now he’s in their leadership group so I’d definitely be looking at McInerney or even Cuningham.

I’d also be looking at Melican to replace Plowman when we delist him at the end of the year and possibly have to make a call on the always injured Marchbank and Gov.

The Swans have so much good depth - look at how good Hewett and Newman have been for us - it’s a testament to their development program.
Hayward is guy we really need but he is a pipe dream now he’s in their leadership group so I’d definitely be looking at McInerney or even Cuningham.

I’d also be looking at Melican to replace Plowman when we delist him at the end of the year and possibly have to make a call on the always injured Marchbank and Gov.

The Swans have so much good depth - look at how good Hewett and Newman have been for us - it’s a testament to their development program.
With so much injury risk in our back half - I don’t think it’s smart to delist Plow - for me he’s still our best lockdown defender of a small forward, that allows the run and carry players to focus more on that aspect. If we put a Saad or even Doc on the best oppo small, it negates to much of the offence they can create from the back half. Sure they’d do a job as a true lockdown role, but that robs Peter to pay Paul for me. The new boys have shown promise for sure, but in my opinion we don’t want to throw them to the wolves on a Charlie Cameron type player just yet. And I sure wouldn’t want someone like Lewis Melican playing that role either.

ODN is doing the Rnd 1 preview.

My bad Aph. ODN, are you back from Calvin Klein?

It is a concern that McGov ,Martin and Marchy have played zero pre season minutes and not sure why Neman didnt play v Sawns? (Did enough first game I presume?) I doubt all three mentioned first will play v Tigers but hoping Gov in particular is ready.

Loving Cowans and Hollands as are all on here and the latter may well have gone past O Brien for one of the the rd.1 wing spots .

Cincotta looking a good pick up too .

Sorry but we have gone way past E. Curnow and it may be harsh but he should have been de listed last year and a youngster
given an opportunity/ list spot.

The Swans game was a poor showing and not the way we played last year but plenty of kids out there and still some real positives.( Doc, Hewwy, JSOS
and the rookies )

Can't wait for Thursday week.

Last edited:
With so much injury risk in our back half - I don’t think it’s smart to delist Plow - for me he’s still our best lockdown defender of a small forward, that allows the run and carry players to focus more on that aspect. If we put a Saad or even Doc on the best oppo small, it negates to much of the offence they can create from the back half. Sure they’d do a job as a true lockdown role, but that robs Peter to pay Paul for me. The new boys have shown promise for sure, but in my opinion we don’t want to throw them to the wolves on a Charlie Cameron type player just yet. And I sure wouldn’t want someone like Lewis Melican playing that role either.
Personally, in terms of smaller types I’d have him behind Doc, Saad, Williams, Newman, Boyd, Cowan and probably Cincotta.

For more medium/3rd types I’d have him behind Gov, Marchy, Kemp and even SOS, who I’m still not convinced about down back outside of when he drops back at the end of quarters as an extra number.

Vossy is so very locked in to his midfield drednought mentality.
I'm not confident about this single minded contested football beast that blasts the ball forward everytime to god only knows who is going to carry us deep into the finals. A bit more finesse with short passing and deadly handball skills might compensate for our lack of pace and create better options than using Harry & Charlie so predictably.
Lets see how the season starts before any over reacting, but I'd like to see some of the fringe players on our list given a go if we begin to struggle against good transition sides. ******* anyone of Carroll, Dow, Kemp, Cunners are capable alternatives that offer a point of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, in terms of smaller types I’d have him behind Doc, Saad, Williams, Newman, Boyd, Cowan and probably Cincotta.

For more medium/3rd types I’d have him behind Gov, Marchy, Kemp and even SOS, who I’m still not convinced about down back outside of when he drops back at the end of quarters as an extra number.
I guess my point was more in line of the specific role of a shutdown first player. I’d rather have someone dedicated for that role, allowing the likes of Doc/Saad to be more offensive - which gets taken away by playing on a Cameron/Toby Greene type. If both fit, Newman/Plow the best 2 options. But Newman’s not fit. Nor is Boyd. Nor is Williams. And the younger boys, in my opinion, shouldn’t get those types of roles just yet.
In terms of medium/3rd tall, which isn’t Plow’s strength, he’s very much a backup for that role - and given Gov’s history, and the fact Marchbank has been basically non-existent the past few years, and the fact Kemp seems to be a way off yet in the eyes of the coaching staff, it’s a perfect example of why there should be an ongoing list spot for him.
Just my opinion - I know not many agree, but I’m looking at it from a holistic view, where I expect the injury concerns to remain on trend until I’m proven otherwise.

Players I see making way from the practise match (potential replacements)
O’Brien (Newman)
Dow (Cripps)
Cincotta (Durdin)
Honey (McKay)
Plowman (McGovern)
Carroll
Durdin

Ed Curnow will be 23rd man.

I'm not confident about this single minded contested football beast that blasts the ball forward everytime to god only knows who is going to carry us deep into the finals. A bit more finesse with short passing and deadly handball skills might compensate for our lack of pace and create better options than using Harry & Charlie so predictably.
Lets see how the season starts before any over reacting, but I'd like to see some of the fringe players on our list given a go if we begin to struggle against good transition sides. F*****g anyone of Carroll, Dow, Kemp, Cunners are capable alternatives that offer a point of difference.

Agreed. There won't be many worries about this practice match if we come out and spank Richmond round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went hard early last week. Foot off the pedal tonight. Couldn’t care less about the score ( 3 less scoring shots). Key outcome is no injuries and a Brownlow all, a Coleman medalist, and a 3rd place getter in a Brownlow not playing. Bring on 2023
One other factor I don't think has been mentioned is the weather we played in against the Pies. Over 32 degrees playing smack in the middle of the day. They struggled against the wooden spoon favourites, so it was likely a factor in our sluggishness.

It is a concern that McGov ,Martin and Marchy have played zero pre season minutes and not sure why Neman didnt play v Sawns? (Did enough first game I presume?) I doubt all three mentioned first will play v Tigers but hoping Gov in particular is ready.

Loving Cowans and Hollands as are all on here and the latter may well have gone past O Brien for one of the the rd.1 wing spots .

Cincotta looking a good pick up too .

Sorry but we have gone way past E. Curnow and it may be harsh but he should have been de listed last year and a youngster
given an opportunity/ list spot.

The Swans game was a poor showing and not the way we played last year but plenty of kids out there and still some real positives.( Doc, Hewwy, JSOS
and the rookies )

Can't wait for Thursday week.
1. I thought Newman got a knock or minor injury out of the Collingwood game, but not sure what it was. Nothing was published about it. Club should be more transparent with their supporters about injuries, or is it tactically better, not to disclose injuries prior to a big game?
2. Missed entire season last year, may have lost some pace, but has been one of the best runners in the club, and wonderful RUNWITH player. Intermittently, he could be utilized from game to game with the task of stopping (tag) an opposition damaging midfielder.
3. Some of the senior players, the ones that know they are safe for Round 1, looked like they were going through the motions. (get through the game ok without any injuries) The players intensity was average compared to the Swans. They came to play. After the game Voss didn't look too concerned, and I'm not too concerned as well. Six months pre-season training and our tweaking the game plan will surprise the Tigers, and I am expecting to have a comfortable win.

Time to move on to the first round. Hopefully we get back as many of our best 22 as possible. The new guys have presented the MC something to think about in determining our best available squad. This is a good thing.

Cincotta, Cowan and Hollands have done their chances no harm at all.

The bulk of the team need to channel the disappointment they felt after that last game last year and continually use that to drive us forward.

If we play with the intensity required and are a bit smarter in clutch moments we'll go OK this year.

Having a 23rd now gives teams the opportunity to play a player that may not be 100%.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
A couple variations really. You could play the below par player on field for a half or 3/4. Or you could leave him on the bench as a break glass. Could we put Walsh in this position.

It would of been handy years ago when Carlton was limping Marc Murphy to 300. 23rd man still gets a game on the record.

I guess my point was more in line of the specific role of a shutdown first player. I’d rather have someone dedicated for that role, allowing the likes of Doc/Saad to be more offensive - which gets taken away by playing on a Cameron/Toby Greene type. If both fit, Newman/Plow the best 2 options. But Newman’s not fit. Nor is Boyd. Nor is Williams. And the younger boys, in my opinion, shouldn’t get those types of roles just yet.
In terms of medium/3rd tall, which isn’t Plow’s strength, he’s very much a backup for that role - and given Gov’s history, and the fact Marchbank has been basically non-existent the past few years, and the fact Kemp seems to be a way off yet in the eyes of the coaching staff, it’s a perfect example of why there should be an ongoing list spot for him.
Just my opinion - I know not many agree, but I’m looking at it from a holistic view, where I expect the injury concerns to remain on trend until I’m proven otherwise.
Have I missed an injury to Newman?
A couple variations really. You could play the below par player on field for a half or 3/4. Or you could leave him on the bench as a break glass. Could we put Walsh in this position.

It would have been handy years ago when Carlton was limping Marc Murphy to 300. 23rd man still gets a game on the record.
The risk is though that someone else goes down really early and now you’re carrying that 75% fit player for a whole game.

If you’re not got enough to play the whole game, you’re not fit enough to be selected in the 22 or be the sub.

Have I missed an injury to Newman?

The risk is though that someone else goes down really early and now you’re carrying that 75% fit player for a whole game.

If you’re not got enough to play the whole game, you’re not fit enough to be selected in the 22 or be the sub.

Agree however I can assure you teams will play unfit players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back