Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what got me about the whole Boyd saga- the way that even after Tom requested a trade, so many so called experts stated that the deal would not happen.

I was looking at the cards on the table thinking surely this has to play out now - and for a multitude of reasons, not least the afl's stake in the whole thing- but then questioning whether as a Dogs fan I was getting carried away or losing perspective.

Pretty glad it all went through and validated my initial thoughts, because I had pretty much talked myself out of it.

You know what got me about the whole Boyd saga- the way that even after Tom requested a trade, so many so called experts stated that the deal would not happen.
That's because the "reporters" didn't really look at the facts or anything.

They just saw that the Dogs were looking for a huge deal, and wrote it off immediately. It was unfathomable that the Dogs actually do something big or shake up the competition in any way!

I was pretty confident reading a few posters thoughts that have contacts on the dogs board but even up to about 30 minutes before the deal being done was I ridiculed for suggesting it will by opposition and our own supporters

I was pretty confident reading a few posters thoughts that have contacts on the dogs board but even up to about 30 minutes before the deal being done was I ridiculed for suggesting it will by opposition and our own supporters
Put it this way, on the night before and the morning of, the 15th, I knew it was happening, however closer to the time I couldn't get any more info, I was getting a bit antsy. There are parts of the story I didn't know (obviously) until the deal was done but most of it I knew.

The thing about the media is that they call it on whatever facts they have in front of them. I don't think that puts them in the best position because the people they talk to are all going to play a straight bat and give them line and length answers. Unfortunately for them it's people who have inside knowledge that have more detailed knowledge. I said at the time that Barrett (who I don't mind but he treats all clubs like shit, not just us) was saying it wouldn't happen because of what Dave Matthews said, but what would you expect DM to say? His prized no1 draft pick was upping and leaving after 10 months and he's just going to let him call the shots? No way. He did what he could to strengthen his position, which is absolutely expected and reasonable. Yes DM made a rod for his own back with his initial statement that he wasn't goin to be traded "under any circumstances", but what did you expect, especially as the club trying to get him was offering up a 28yo midfielder as the trade? At the end of the day my view was that it was always going to happen because having 2 players wanting to play somewhere else, playing for other teams, serves no purpose for anyone.

I, for one, am rapt Jesus came. Structurally, as long as he competes and can catch it, he is going to be so important for the team. A few of us always said how important players like Campbell, Jones and Cordy could be because of their size... Well imagine having a genuinely good version of them? Hallelujah.

Yes, I agree we paid overs, but do you what? I don't care. Get the kid in, worry about the fall out later. If he leads out in rd1, takes a mark and kicks a goal, I won't give a shit what we gave up. I'll just sit back and bask in the greatness.

Personally, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck when I heard.

I think Cam Luke had it exactly right saying the Bulldogs wouldn't let Griffen run the club, allow the coach to be sacked and then walk away. Griffen is a child. No comprehension of his responsibility to his employer.

We lose a spineless child for a developing leading forward with plenty of spine. First one we've landed in decades.

All that matters is im so pumped to see him play for us. Imagine the roar if in round 1 first min of the game libba wins the clearance goes long inside 50 where Boyd takes a strong one on one grab and slots our first goal of the season.

The hype from something like that would sell another 1,000 memberships before the end of the game.

For people upset about the amount of money he's being paid, that's 30% of his average annual salary right there...

I remember sitting in the car in the CBD texting a mate at 7am telling him to listen to the radio because the Dogs will be announcing they're going after Boyd. I didn't know at that stage how far negotiations had gone, only that an offer had been made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could have fair dinkum heard my old fella slam into the underside of my desk as I listened to that live that day.

From feeling down as buggery to being a pig in shit in the space of Five seconds.
Ahh the blessings of the third-leg up be upon thee!

I was sitting at work pretending to be busy while refreshing the trade tracker on the AFL site.

Had to go for a walk to calm down

I was sitting at work pretending to be busy while refreshing the trade tracker on the AFL site.

Had to go for a walk to calm down

Have to admit I was pretty much useless at work as well. Even told my receptionist I was unavailable to take calls so I could listed to trade radio, refresh the afl website and post on here.

I was a roller coaster of emotion, I did no work once Boyd declared us, and then felt like we had won the lottery once the trade was done.

I remember being at uni, and then I happened to go online and check the AFL website for some reason. I saw Boyd was a dog, had no idea about it actually happening, and let out a small giggle where I got weird looks.

So I went outside and ran around and started hyperventilating and then I went to the music studios and created the Boyd song, which reads as such:

BOYD IS OURS
SUCK IT GWS
DOGS ARE AWESOME
YOU'RE ****ING PRICKS

It was a good day.

The Tomminator has dislocated a finger!!!!
AmbulanceRushing_fct1024x630x45_t460.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back