Media #okey400

Remove this Banner Ad

This week, one of the most enduring and polarising characters of the Sweet FA, former Administrator okeydoke7, reaches an important milestone - game #400.

Anyone who has spent any time here will know okey's resume. Debuted in S9 for the Mt Buller Demons, he developed a reputation as a glory-hound full-forward, and an intense rivalry with Tarkyn_24. He succeeded boncer34 to the Admin position for S18, and remained in the job until S20; he is a Hall of Fame player who is one of only two players to kick 1000 career goals; he has won the Alf Andrews Medal (now the Fred Medal) in S11; he has been a leading goalkicker at several different clubs, and has played for 8 different clubs (many of them on multiple occasions); he has been All-SFA five times and made the ceremonial All-Time All-SFA team in S30 as a forward pocket, to much mirth. He remains relevant to this day, winning the TFLUA-Tiger award as the Committee's best player just last season, and is a respected leader of the community.

SEASON BY SEASON TALLY
1709520850066.png

OVERALL STATISTICS
1709520361342.png

I sat down with okey this week to reflect on his journey and discuss his achievements:

Hello okeydoke7. As we launch this week-long celebration of your career, thank you for taking the time to reminisce with me.

You debuted way back in round 9, for the Demons. Do you remember what brought you into the Sweet FA to begin with?

okeydoke7: Yes, two guys named Tiger Glory and Thatday, both no longer on the site, let me know about a fantasy footy game I might enjoy. Little did they know I’d grow to become the face of the league.

Why did you choose the Demons?
o7: Those guys played there at the time. And I have fond memories of learning the game under EBIAC who was a good captain.

You've been through a lot of clubs - Demons, Dragons, Bombers, Hawks, Royals, Wonders, Gumbies and now the Swamprats, and you've rarely stayed at a club for more than two consecutive seasons. What is the reason for this nomadic lifestyle?
o7: I’ve crafted a persona over many seasons and I am very well known and constantly tagged as the egotistical self-obsessed full forward of the league. I think club hopping to seek personal glory fits well. But I’ve always been of the mentality that if things get even a little stale, a fresh start is good. Why be loyal and burn out? It’s a footy forum, we are here for fun. Many of those clubs I’ve played at twice, as well!

Or even three times, in the case of the Demons and Bombers! I feel privileged to finally play alongside you. You have now played with the Swamprats for 5 seasons, talk us through the circumstances of your arrival and how settled do you feel?
o7: It’s rare for me to play this long at a club. I’m not sure I ever have. I suppose I have just been so happy playing at a club that resurrected my career, got me invested again, gave me my 1000 goal moment, etc. it’s a great group at the Rats.

OK, moving on. Let's discuss your leadership of the League. You were Administrator of the league from S18 - S20 (which coincidentally were my first seasons in the league). Can you tell us about your Administration - what initiatives did you bring in, any controversies that may have happened? Were you a dictator, or a negotiator?
o7: I probably brought in genuine consultation with the wider league for the first time, it was well overdue.

I welcomed two new clubs into the competition, admitting the Warriors and Bears.
I streamlined the over stuffed and non functional committee.
I created the multi simmer system still in use today.

I initiated the first ever league charity match, raising over $1,000 for beyondblue.
So it was a productive few seasons. But I was a bit over it by the end!

Your admin period coincided with the explosion of posting in match threads. Do you believe that your leadership was a factor in this?
o7: I don’t think so. I think this was a natural progression as the league got bigger and posters became more enthusiastic and connected because we had so much more than just fantasy games by then.

As a respected former Admin, would you like the proceedings of the Committee to be publicly visible, so all players can read it?
o7: Not quite. More transparency is always good. I was far more consultative than my predecessor and made things far more visible, and that was taken a step further still by The Filth Wizard who was outstanding in opening things up with the visible tribunal hearings, etc.
But some discussions should remain for the committee. There is some genuine talk there which should remain private and not become a populist, commentary driven thing.

One of the first controversies that I recall was when your successor, @tThe Filth Wizard , brought a BTGID charge against you, which was ultimately upheld. What are your memories of this time?
o7: Basically, some rules were changed in Season 21 which opened up a major loophole. I enjoy stirring some controversy so I thought it’d be fun to expose the loophole and create some chaos. I PMd TFW about my plans and got his go ahead, but when the league masses cracked the absolute sads he thought it reflected poorly on him, and early in his admin reign he probably cared too much about what internet people thought of him. SO he created a NEW rule which allowed him to punish me for something retrospectively despite it breaking no rules at the time. And he refused to grant me permission to publish our PM exchange as evidence.

However, he clearly felt bad and saw logic by eventually waiving the charge. And I was never suspended.

We have moved on from it and I admire TFW for everything he’s achieved in this league.

You are known across the league for your public persona of an arrogant aristocrat who takes more than the usual amount of pride in his many achievements, but I hope it doesn't damage your reputation too much if I reveal that this is just a front, and the okey I know is actually a consummate team man in private, who likes to create controversy to generate activity and banter. Have you ever cared about your image, or tried to soften your persona?
o7:
I think most who have played with me know this. I considered softening it, and adopted the alter ego ‘wokeydoke7’ for a few weeks. But it sucked. I enjoy the way I post. It’s so different to how I usually am, and it adds to the fantasy element for me. I do think my own ego probably means others downplay my achievements, and I’m confident it’s directly cost me some awards. But I like it, so I don’t care! As long as my teammates always know I’m slightly less of a flog than I act in the match threads, that’s all that matters to me.

Although your persona is that of glory hound, you have rarely, if ever, played in the Mobbenfuhrer Medal- winning position of rover or ruck-rover. Do you not rate these awards as highly as the Fred/Alf Andrews Medals?
o7: Yes it’s been very rare for me to play there. I have always thought about having a season or two through the middle in the hope of adding yet more awards to my CV, but I’ve never pulled the trigger. Playing as a forward is my identity. Kicking a bag fires up my ego and makes me a better and more engaged poster. Maybe one day…

You're known for your rivalry with Tarkyn_24 and the race to be the first to 1000 SFA goals. History shows that you lost that race, but that your goal average of 2.6/game is vastly superior to Tark's 1.9. Do you have any comment about this?
o7: I’ve always loved and respected my rivalry with Tarks. We have been at each other’s heads but there has always been a healthy respect. I do classify myself as the better out and out forward and the best typical full forward to ever play the game. Tarks would agree he has played many positions over a longer time, hence the lower goal average and substantially longer time it took him to get to 1000. I’ll forever be known as the egotistical full forward hog and an amazing goal kicker. Tarks has been good for a long time and is a fun poster.

Did it irk you that Tarkyn_24 was named full-forward in the All-Time All-SFA team in S30, while you were shunted to a pocket?
o7: I just assume the decision was made to have Tarks play a decoy role, taking the best defender out of the way to let me do even more. But did it irk me? Not really. Tarks is an immortal, and I’m always spoken about as his main rival. In some respects, I’d say I have him covered. I do believe I’m a better forward, but Tarks has done it for longer and I respect that.

In my earliest memories, a post from okeydoke7 was an essay. Are you beyond the magnum opus stage now?
o7: I’ve definitely moved beyond that, but still pull out the essays occasionally. I used to have far more time on my hand and loved this joint so would go to town with exceptionally long pieces! I think one of my most underrated career achievements is what I did with media. It existed when I started, but mainly in the form of player movement announcements, stats and rankings threads. I was one of a few who revolutionised and expanded this, bringing in real media pieces, investigative pieces and incredible breaking news. I was the first poster to use my username as a brand - Okeydoke media - something STILL imitated by many to this day without them knowing it.

Even a legendary goalkicker such as yourself only has a best tally of 80 goals in a season, in S26. Do you think anyone will ever crack the ton in a season again, bearing in mind it has only been done twice, both in S4?
o7: Not unless we have a change in season length or a change in the sim. But as much as I would love to see the return of the 100 goal season, I wouldn’t support either. The shorter seasons allowing two seasons per calendar year are far better for engagement. And the sim should reflect the real stuff as much as possible, so we shouldn’t see crazy bags of goals on the regular, as much as I’d love it.

Can you give us your evaluation of the players you played against over the years - in your humble opinion, who have been the best you have played against?
o7: Great question. Some of the very best I’ve ever played against who come straight to mind are boncer34 beez Eth Mobbs Headless PVF Kennedy Parker Tarkyn_24 and many many more fantastic posters.

400 games is an epic milestone, you are the 30th player to reach this summit. Do you think that the modern player has enough appreciation for the efforts of giants such as yourself that kept this great league viable?
o7: I think it is appreciated, even if the banter suggests it’s not. It’s designed to antagonise and get a reaction, and it does get a laugh. Good on the new players for being upstarts and challenging us older posters, that’s how I started!

I would’ve played far more than 400 but ‘retired’ a few times when I was inactive rather than plugging away and racking up stats when I wasn’t posting. Unlike a fair few of the top 30 who have inflated games and other stats because of inactive periods.

okeydoke7, thank you for sharing your thoughts with everyone today, and congratulations on reaching the 400 game milestone. I ecpect that the Swamprats can lift for you, and that the sim is generous for this auspicious occasion. Just a few more questions, if you will, kind sir.

Are you a dog, or a cat man?
Dogs. Definitely.

Saint, or sinner?
Off the qooty field I’m a Saint. Don’t do much wrong, follow rules, I’d like to think I’m polite and easy to talk to. On the qooty field - sometimes a sinner! I’ve enjoyed being the antagonist at times when it’s been needed.

Beer, or wine?
Beer in summer, a nice red in winter.

Or whiskey/rum/bourbon all year round.

Pineapple, or anti-pineapple?
Very pro pineapple. On pizza. In a can. In a fruit salad. Wherever, I like it.

Apple pies, hot or cold?
Hot is the only answer to this question.
Thank you for your time.
It’s been a pleasure mate thanks for your efforts here, it’s much appreciated.

Congratulations okeydoke7 on a remarkable career.

A well deserved milestone to add to your CV as you head towards immortal status.

An absolute legend of the league.
Tag me coward

Congrats on 400 okeydoke7
I’ve always enjoyed your pompous blustering and I hope you bluster for another 400 games 👏🏻

ps. you were always my fav ff but I couldn’t say so while Tarks was a team-mate 🥰;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

breaking.png

The Sin City Swamprats would like to congratulate okeydoke7 on reaching the 400 game milestone. A huge achievement that very few Sweet FA players make it to.

okeydoke7 is in his 5th season at the Rats, and was unlucky not to receive the All SFA jumper for his season at CHB in season 36.

Stay tuned for some exciting announcements later in the week.

Congrats okeydoke7 on 400!

Excited Happy Birthday GIF

Still not as many games as larrikin.
And still not as many clubs as akkaps.

But well done :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back