Old Scholars Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone on here might set me straight but I've heard from two different people that OHA are no longer playing over at the Shipyard at Gielston Bay?
I've not heard or read anything else that backs up that story, nothing even over on the Ships facebook page.
Is that true or are they talking rot?
If they have vacated, where did they move to?

St Virgil’s again by the length of the Elwick home straight! Uni weren’t even close on GF day and have lost Glover and Cleary so hard to see them getting closer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I give the ships a chance against the Saints. they look to have recruited some reasonable players.

What are the lights like over at OHA?
Hopefully better than the lights at TCA. DOSA v Hutchins called off after half-time in Seniors. A light tower went out. DOSA were well ahead.

What happened at the TCA, heard the game got called off at half time?
The bank of floodlights in front of the kiosk just near the Hobart stand blew a circuit breaker 22 minutes into the 2nd Quarter with DOSA being 32 points ahead.
Umpires called half-time early and after about 45 minutes the light tower was still out so it was agreed by both captains and umpires to call a halt to it.
Scores to stand as they were at the time of the match being stopped – DOSA 10.2 (62) to Hutchins 5.0 (30).
Was actually pretty fortunate for Hutchins as they were about ready to get blown right away there.
Cassidy had five by 15 minutes into the 2nd Quarter and was well on the way to double figures.

The bank of floodlights in front of the kiosk just near the Hobart stand blew a circuit breaker 22 minutes into the 2nd Quarter with DOSA being 32 points ahead.
Umpires called half-time early and after about 45 minutes the light tower was still out so it was agreed by both captains and umpires to call a halt to it.
Scores to stand as they were at the time of the match being stopped – DOSA 10.2 (62) to Hutchins 5.0 (30).
Was actually pretty fortunate for Hutchins as they were about ready to get blown right away there.
Cassidy had five by 15 minutes into the 2nd Quarter and was well on the way to double figures.
Were you there? I've just got back home to FNQ after spending the week in Tassie, and was based for the last few days right next to KGV until this morning. Was thinking of going to the TCA just to get a footy fix last night, being the only live game on...!

Were you there? I've just got back home to FNQ after spending the week in Tassie, and was based for the last few days right next to KGV until this morning. Was thinking of going to the TCA just to get a footy fix last night, being the only live game on...!
Yes mate. Up in the Smith Stand.
Timekeepers have moved permanently upstairs with me now as the old box on top of the Hobart changerooms on the wing got condemned during the week and pulled down.
Was actually a good game of football until the lighting failed. One of DOSA's players told me the same tower conked out briefly at training on the Wednesday night, Hobart hosts Lindisfarne under lights next Friday night so that'll be interesting. 20240412_202533.jpg

Didn't the lights keep failing a few years back causing games to keep getting called off?
Caused a big stink at the time

Didn't the lights keep failing a few years back causing games to keep getting called off?
Caused a big stink at the time
No, they didn't actually turn on in the first place!
Happened about five matches in a row in 2019 where night games were being played and it caused two to be abandoned (a Hobart Womens and a Hobart Colts game).
Three further matches (Hobart Colts and two STJFL games) almost didn't go ahead after that for the same reason, one of them was a Duff TV game.
At the time the club or league would book to hire the ground and a request for lights would be put in along with that and what times they would be required to be turned on/off by a timer.
None of the tenant clubs of the venue or the STJFL had keys to the light tower box at that time (ridiculous) and panicked phone calls to the council to send someone up to turn them on because the automated system failed yet again, ensued.
I remember Southern Storm doing their warmups in front of the electronic scoreboard with bright ads playing as everywhere else was pitch dark.
Thankfully they all have keys to it now.
There's also been three break-ins at the ground since Easter and vandalism taking place repeatedly so that also may be an issue.
Electricians have been up there since Sunday working on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back