One-Hit wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most total one-hit wonders – yet a song I have never seen requested in 29 years since it was a hit and I sang “moo, moo, moo” in place of the real “boom, boom, boom” – is Paul Lekakis:

According to a 3XY chart book covering the period from 1960 to 1989, ‘Boom Boom (Let’s Go Back to My Room)’ was the 49th biggest single of the 1980s, yet I had before googling never heard of any other Paul Lekakis song. He did record one album – not released until 1990, by when the openly gay Lekakis in the decade when gay liberation became a political issue had been diagnosed HIV positive – and several other singles for soundtracks, but not one was ever a hit anywhere except the US Dance charts.

That's a relatively rare type in that Boomtown was at the time very much a critically lauded record and has not had it's reputation deteriorate so much as most commercial music of the eighties.

This is another song that, like Life At The Outpost, took me years to find online.

Another one that took me years to find and was a one hit wonder is Screaming Jets by Johnny Warman with Peter Gabriel on backing vocals.

OHW status depends on your standpoint. I listen to BBC radio and heard them list famous OHW songs. One was Howzat by Sherbet, who had a mass of hits here
The UK band Squeeze is known here for just one hit but had heaps at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back