Open training session tomorrow (Sat 19th Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't so long ago he was supposed to be the new Alex Rance.

Imo, the only reason he's being moved to the forward line is to allow for the development of Gibcus and/or Miller in defence. Our other defensive talls (Tarrant, Broad, Grimes) are genuine defenders and not forwards. Grimes plays tall or short. Having those 3 in defence plus Balta leaves little room for playing either or both of Gibcus and Miller.

Personally, I'd like to see him make CHB his.

Me too. I like him at CHB and I'd prefer him to settle in one spot. I can understand if he is moved around just for this season (to an extent) as with Tarrant coming in we look to have enough down back without him and with Jack getting older and Lynch having injury issues, he will be needed in attack at times with the lack of other options.

Here's hoping Balta, Gibcus and Bigoa (or possibly Miller who I'm not high on) are our long term key backs.

Been saying it for 12 months .....
Baker in the midfield.
Do it!
Canna see him playing in there full time...lil fella like him is eventually going to be banged up by the larger bodied oppo/mids..
Forward is where i see him playing...with the occasional chop out in the middle...

Last edited:
Enjoyed watching the match simulation. I am extremely bullish on us this year - think we're star-studded at every line and plenty of competition at the junior level to keep the senior guys fighting for spots.

Going through each line:

Defence: Rock solid and versatile. Grimes, Tarrant, Vlastuin, Broad, Short as the core (3 players with B&Fs (incl. RT)) with strong potential/talent in Gibcus, Ralphsmith, Mansell to keep spots competitive. I think Balta to forward line makes sense based on a few factors; 1) Gibcus making an immediate impact in maiden preseason 2) Coaching staff's high appraisal of future prospects of Ben Miller and Bigoa 3) Lack of quality tall forwards particularly in Riewoldt's likely departing year.

Midfield: Offensive machine with excellent running power. Literally salivating at the thought of Martin, Bolton, Baker, Edwards, Lambert rotating through the half-forward line and midfield. Genuine cannon power here. Inside grunt / accumulators well padded out with Prestia back running in top form, supported by Cotchin, Graham, Nankervis with hopes that one of the younger guys can make their mark (RCD / Ross / Sonsie). Soldo coming back gives us a real advantage aerially and versatility against multiple rucking groups and our tall wing depth in McIntosh, Caddy, Parker excel in contest, strength, running power and versatility.

Forward: Dominant talls (Riewoldt / Lynch / Balta) supported by offensive midfielders (e.g. Baker, Martin, Bolton) and by reliable mid-sized options in Castagna, Caddy, Parker, Aarts. Baker likely spends more time up forward this year and think he combines really well with George as they are both quick, strong, can tackle, and mark well for their heights. We're definitely lacking a pure-play creative crumbing forward so am hoping to see good signs of development in some of our project players (Rioli, Clarke) otherwise think this is a priority for us in the trade / FA period for us this year.

In summary, a lot to be excited by the quality of our list this year. Hope the coaching staff have nailed game plan / structures and group is motivated as a flag is definitely in reach.

Enjoyed watching the match simulation. I am extremely bullish on us this year - think we're star-studded at every line and plenty of competition at the junior level to keep the senior guys fighting for spots.

Going through each line:

Defence: Rock solid and versatile. Grimes, Tarrant, Vlastuin, Broad, Short as the core (3 players with B&Fs (incl. RT)) with strong potential/talent in Gibcus, Ralphsmith, Mansell to keep spots competitive. I think Balta to forward line makes sense based on a few factors; 1) Gibcus making an immediate impact in maiden preseason 2) Coaching staff's high appraisal of future prospects of Ben Miller and Bigoa 3) Lack of quality tall forwards particularly in Riewoldt's likely departing year.

Midfield: Offensive machine with excellent running power. Literally salivating at the thought of Martin, Bolton, Baker, Edwards, Lambert rotating through the half-forward line and midfield. Genuine cannon power here. Inside grunt / accumulators well padded out with Prestia back running in top form, supported by Cotchin, Graham, Nankervis with hopes that one of the younger guys can make their mark (RCD / Ross / Sonsie). Soldo coming back gives us a real advantage aerially and versatility against multiple rucking groups and our tall wing depth in McIntosh, Caddy, Parker excel in contest, strength, running power and versatility.

Forward: Dominant talls (Riewoldt / Lynch / Balta) supported by offensive midfielders (e.g. Baker, Martin, Bolton) and by reliable mid-sized options in Castagna, Caddy, Parker, Aarts. Baker likely spends more time up forward this year and think he combines really well with George as they are both quick, strong, can tackle, and mark well for their heights. We're definitely lacking a pure-play creative crumbing forward so am hoping to see good signs of development in some of our project players (Rioli, Clarke) otherwise think this is a priority for us in the trade / FA period for us this year.

In summary, a lot to be excited by the quality of our list this year. Hope the coaching staff have nailed game plan / structures and group is motivated as a flag is definitely in reach.
Good post and certainly glass 3/4 full

Still thinking we are that Big inside beast that wins center clearances 30+ times a game

Not much more to add to what has already been said.

Sonise and Gibcus look like they will make it at this early stage.

Edwards hasn't missed a beat and again looked good in traffic. Baker on track for big numbers this year.

I cannot see how Rioli gets a start down back.

Caddy probably gets his opportunity to press for selection in Rd 1 in these next two practice games.

RCD is ahead of Ross for mine, but only barely.

If everyone is fully fit our VFL side will be stacked with talent.

Going to be some hard luck stories for Round 1 selection. Either way Carlton looking at a ten plus goal defeat.

R

Going through each line:

add Dow and stack you’d hope will be pressing for midfield berths ,, Martyn maybe , see how these lads go in vfl

Just watched it.
2 things stood out.
Dimma please have Baker as part of the midfield group.
RCD despite spending time with Lambo has not improved his tank.
The thing that stands out with RCD is he still hasn't lost his puppy fat. He should be a lean mean fightin' machine by preseason 3.
I also hate how he jogs with his hands loosely flapping out front like a T-Rex.

Sucks mate, I hear paraumbilical and inguinoscrotal hernias can be a real game changer.

P.S. DO NOT Google image search these conditions Mr Unbelievable!
200.gif
glasses judging GIF by Pearle Opticiens Belgium
Stare Staring GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Great post. I think you might've meant Pickett?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pleased with the structures, starting to gel.
All I want to see this year, apart from Richmond success, is Melbourne deprived of a B2B.
I do rate them as a strong side, hopefully, we and other teams can break their spirit.
To maintain our B2B legacy as a minimum.

Pleased with the structures, starting to gel.
All I want to see this year, apart from Richmond success, is Melbourne deprived of a B2B.
I do rate them as a strong side, hopefully, we and other teams can break their spirit.
To maintain our B2B legacy as a minimum.
Let's kick 50 shades of shit out of them in the GF, their bandwagon fans will be back on the slopes in no time.

Watched the game for the first time last night, so had the luxury of looking at it with all the commentary about certain players. Watched the young players the closest of course and you'd have to be pretty happy with how most of them went.

The old brigade looked great, Edwards, Prestia, Vlastuin looked really trim and sharp. Cotch was good when he wanted to be. The big difference in the scoreline was mainly due to the sharp skills of the black side who transitioned the ball much better.

Thought the young mids of Ross and RCD matched their seniors at the coalface but didn't have the quality around them to move the ball as well.

A lot of commentary on Ross and RCD. Ross was pretty good in my eyes. He set up as the defensive mid at nearly every centre break because he is our best defensive mid, in fact he's probably our only defensive mid. He often had the heat of the pack coming at him and he stood his ground and generally distributed pretty well. It is the first proper hit out so all players bar the ones that could cruise like Edwards and especially Prestia, who just ran forward of the ball and did not want to get in the heat in just a scratch match. Looks to be a player they want in due to his setting up around the ball. The Dogs could have done with one on GF day when Melb. just sauntered forward of the ball. Maybe that is a change of set up to combat the Melb. type of forward thrust. Cotchin can do it also, but can't leave it all to him, and Ross seems a bit more of a natural accumulator than Cotch. Think he is in for a good year.

RCD was good also but he really needs to hit the packs harder. No point being an outside player when you are his size. Might take a few games to get his fitness and second efforts up as although he played a consistent game over 4 Q's he still jogs a lot for a mid. He has put on size so it might take him a bit more footy until he gets that constant movement going. Is good off the deck for someone so big.

Bolton was the standout for me. He has put on a bit of size but lost none of his movement. Could be anything this year.

Stack was quite good and looks better up the ground than deep. Small forward role is not his, it is a killer unless you are a Castagna type runner. Stack is so much better with ball in hand running towards goal. It is just good to see him close to match fit at this time of the year.

Knocks on Rioli's kicking, but he ran his guts out. It's pretty normal at this time of the year to miss kicks due to lack of match fitness. But his run and rebound was really good. Why does he stop every time he marks the ball. Takes an eternity to make up his mind to move it on. Perhaps that will come with game fitness.

Mansell looks the best of the small back besides Rioli. Just tough and quick and looked composed with the ball. Hugo was very impressive. A bit more VFL footy at half back wing and he will be pushing.

How good does Gibcus look. Surprisingly good off the ground and with the ball for someone who is so good in the air.
Sonsie looks a good mover, but didn't get a lot of it which is because without a proper preseason it is hard to play that constant moving player. Classy.
Cumberland looks good to. Reckon he will be a handful especially at AFL level where the big grounds will suit him. Great athlete and agility and loves a one on one contest.

We have the best depth I have seen at the club in decades, and most of them will get a taste or cement themselves this season or next.

Last edited:
The thing that stands out with RCD is he still hasn't lost his puppy fat. He should be a lean mean fightin' machine by preseason 3.
Post needs more Jordan Pickford

external-content.duckduckgo.gif

Watched the game for the first time last night, so had the luxury of looking at it with all the commentary about certain players. Watched the young players the closest of course and you'd have to be pretty happy with how most of them went.

The old brigade looked great, Edwards, Prestia, Vlastuin looked really trim and sharp. Cotch was good when he wanted to be. The big difference in the scoreline was mainly due to the sharp skills of the black side who transitioned the ball much better.

Thought the young mids of Ross and RCD matched their seniors at the coalface but didn't have the quality around them to move the ball as well.

A lot of commentary on Ross and RCD. Ross was pretty good in my eyes. He set up as the defensive mid at nearly every centre break because he is our best defensive mid, in fact he's probably our only defensive mid. He often had the heat of the pack coming at him and he stood his ground and generally distributed pretty well. It is the first proper hit out so all players bar the ones that could cruise like Edwards and especially Prestia, who just ran forward of the ball and did not want to get in the heat in just a scratch match. Looks to be a player they want in due to his setting up around the ball. The Dogs could have done with one on GF day when Melb. just sauntered forward of the ball. Maybe that is a change of set up to combat the Melb. type of forward thrust. Cotchin can do it also, but can't leave it all to him, and Ross seems a bit more of a natural accumulator than Cotch. Think he is in for a good year.

RCD was good also but he really needs to hit the packs harder. No point being an outside player when you are his size. Might take a few games to get his fitness and second efforts up as although he played a consistent game over 4 Q's he still jogs a lot for a mid. He has put on size so it might take him a bit more footy until he gets that constant movement going. Is good off the deck for someone so big.

Bolton was the standout for me. He has put on a bit of size but lost none of his movement. Could be anything this year.

Stack was quite good and looks better up the ground than deep. Small forward role is not his, it is a killer unless you are a Castagna type runner. Stack is so much better with ball in hand running towards goal. It is just good to see him close to match fit at this time of the year.

Knocks on Rioli's kicking, but he ran his guts out. It's pretty normal at this time of the year to miss kicks due to lack of match fitness. But his run and rebound was really good. Why does he stop every time he marks the ball. Takes an eternity to make up his mind to move it on. Perhaps that will come with game fitness.

Mansell looks the best of the small back besides Rioli. Just tough and quick and looked composed with the ball. Hugo was very impressive. A bit more VFL footy at half back wing and he will be pushing.

How good does Gibcus look. Surprisingly good off the ground and with the ball for someone who is so good in the air.
Sonsie looks a good mover, but didn't get a lot of it which is because without a proper preseason it is hard to play that constant moving player. Classy.
Cumberland looks good to. Reckon he will be a handful especially at AFL level where the big grounds will suit him. Great athlete and agility and loves a one on one contest.

We have the best depth I have seen at the club in decades, and most of them will get a taste or cement themselves this season or next.

Just had a decent look at the game too.

Agree, blacks had the better midfield (that is a multiple premiership midfield) and looked sharp at times. Some of Cotch and Prestia's work was absolutely A grade.

Couple of comments

We look to be moving the ball zig zag from kick marks. The wave of handballs happened a bit, especially yellow. But block's skills meant they could open the play up. Players running from behind for a handball and moving the ball quickly from beyond the mark is a big tactic. So very much what Melbourne did last year.

Gibcus has an amazing leap. JR did him when they were moving a lot - but gave the ball away most of the time to someone else. But, I love what we are seeing. Seriously looks the most likely to mark the ball when it's in the air, against JR!

Sonsie, lots of talent. But saw team mates yelling and waving at him a lot to get into position. Not a shock for a first year player who has been injured to not know where to be. But that they played him as first choice mid says a lot. Some great displays of footy nouse too.

Balta looked good on the move, as a forward and ruck. But when he is forced to play body on body he wasn't great. So to me that means paly him in a running role - lead up forward. Leave JR and Tom deeper.

Soldo and Nank look great. Soldo seems to be moving a bit better and skills may have improved.

Cumberland nice. Martyn nice bits.

Ross and RCD did really well against A grade opponents. They both look to be better physically developed and I was impressed. If they can keep building through the year they will both play games and do well. Neither looks A grade to me. But both look like they could be good B graders - which is awesome. I did notice RCD run Castagna down, and George ain't slow.

Not a huge amount of pressure in the game. Although MRJ applies an absolute heap of pressure - fast hard at it and looks up to the pace and size.

A lot to like in that hit out. The A team was very good, as you'd expect. Back line was great, midfield very good and attack good if patchy (smalls looked good though). Add Dusty to that mix and we are in for a good season.

Biggest thing was a game plan that actually suits the stand rule. Short kicks to free targets, and fast run on football. Open the oppo up and move it into the forward 50 cleanly.

Surprised by how many people down on RCD and Ross, they weren’t perfect but they went up against a premiership midfield and did a good job. RCD had 5 centre clearances from memory.

The biggest difference in the two squads were the respective forward lines. RCD, Ross and co had no one to kick to up front and it made them look way worse. The yellow team kicked 5 goals and I think 4 were from RCD, Ross and Martyn.

The match turned me around on Balta forward, we desperately need some forward talent waiting in the wings. The backs look stocked and as solid as ever.

As for the rest, Bolton, Cotch, Edwards, Prestia and Baker looked primed.

Sonsie and Gibcus have some clear elite traits, can see Gibcus playing early. Sonsie still needs to understand structures etc… but class around the ball.

Surprised by how many people down on RCD and Ross, they weren’t perfect but they went up against a premiership midfield and did a good job. RCD had 5 centre clearances from memory.

The biggest difference in the two squads were the respective forward lines. RCD, Ross and co had no one to kick to up front and it made them look way worse. The yellow team kicked 5 goals and I think 4 were from RCD, Ross and Martyn.

The match turned me around on Balta forward, we desperately need some forward talent waiting in the wings. The backs look stocked and as solid as ever.

As for the rest, Bolton, Cotch, Edwards, Prestia and Baker looked primed.

Sonsie and Gibcus have some clear elite traits, can see Gibcus playing early. Sonsie still needs to understand structures etc… but class around the ball.
Ross and RCD first 5 minutes was actually electric. They were everywhere. Dion and Cotchins experience came through but Ross accumulated really well but he’s just really untidy but foot. His hands were actually pretty impressive and if he can build on that going into the Geelong praccy and really get into the contested footy he might just find himself a spot.

Ross and RCD first 5 minutes was actually electric. They were everywhere. Dion and Cotchins experience came through but Ross accumulated really well but he’s just really untidy but foot. His hands were actually pretty impressive and if he can build on that going into the Geelong praccy and really get into the contested footy he might just find himself a spot.
First hit out so you expect that a bit, not on his own. Not so much untidy but trying to bite of inside passes that weren't there. Kicks went where they were directed but got chopped off. A bit reckless and will be brought up in the review. His short kicking was okay and banged a few floaters forward under a fair bit of pressure. He is no Nathan Buckley that is for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back