Free Agency Orazio Fantasia - will join Carlton as a delisted free agent, 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Did not expect that.

I have posted a lot over the years about Orazio. I really rate him. But his body has failed him plenty.

We have a spot open so I was expecting a link somewhere but this was not what I had in mind.

Thought we’d go SSP or MSD or even elevate 2 rookies instead but here we are.

2 years is a risk no doubt. I thought he’d surely retire. In all likelihood his body doesn’t hold up.

But now is time to be bold and with a need for more forward half fire power, I can see the logic.

I’m…not unhappy about this at all.

Blues have the worst small forwards of any team in the top 8 so I guess it's a punt worth taking. If by some miracle we got 15-20 games out of him we'd definitely be better for it, getting 15-20 games out of him is an entirely different proposition though

Blues have the worst small forwards of any team in the top 8 so I guess it's a punt worth taking. If by some miracle we got 15-20 games out of him we'd definitely be better for it, getting 15-20 games out of him is an entirely different proposition though
Getting 15-20 GOOD games out of him would be some miracle

Getting 15-20 GOOD games out of him would be some miracle
Happy Festivus GIF by MOODMAN

Hopefully we get 20 games out of the 2 years. 6 or so that help us win. 1 of the 6 or so to be against EFC.

And lets be honest, the last point is the most important just for the sh*ts n giggles.:)

Good cheap pickup I think. Small forwards is an area where they aren't strong, they have most other areas sorted.
He battling, but Orazio is good for a couple of cracking games a year, if anything he might put pressure on Durdin and Owies to lift

They've done well this off season, I'm expecting big thing for the blues next season

Huge watch for me...

I don't understand the 2 years at all (he damn well better be on the minimum), especially after offloading Fisher (contracted) in a display of soft negotiations from us IMO.

Fantasia hasn't delivered for a long time, he's always struck me as talented, flashy but pretty selfish and defensively questionable and someone who's allergic to the gym. Port fans?

I have question marks over Austin as our list manager. Will be thrilled be proven wrong about this and other moves, but a few things are pilling up for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if the Blues small forward stocks are ordinary, the decision to add another ordinary player is puzzling.

Since Silvagni was sacked, list management has improved at Princes Park. I guess they are entitled to make the odd error.

I think Fantasia is at the point where you don’t even try to get him back for a full season. Just hope you can get his body right at some point then manage him heavily through the season. Something like 8-12 games and fit for finals would honestly feel like a miracle at this point.

Big fan of the player and his talent.

No issue with one year but I spose they needed to offer two to get him across. The risk is they have burnt a list spot on this guy. He probably cost Dow or LOB their spot, or a late pick but I think that’s a risk that fans should be ok with.

If he gets his body right he slots straight in.
He’s good for a goal or two a game.

The other smalls will need to work harder with Charlie, Harry and Orazio being non- existent when it comes to defending when the opposition have the ball.
This will be their biggest concern with him in the side, the turnover from forward 50 entries.

Very very ordinary player
Has kicked 5+ more times than:
Rankine
Rachele
Bailey
Motlop
Schultz
Hill

That’s just from the starting forward pockets from the first four clubs alphabetically - of those clubs only Charlie Cameron and Jamie Elliott have put 5+ through on more occasions.

Pretty good company for a bloke we picked up as a DFA. Port and GWS were satisfied enough with his medical to throw him a year despite him rarely getting on the park over the past three so clearly he’s in good shape at present.

If he plays, he will be huge for us. If he doesn’t, it’s no loss. Someone will pick up Sam Simpson who hasn’t been on the park in years gone by and the same debate will rage.

I back our club him and am tentatively excited by the prospect of adding a dangerous small forward to our ranks.

No issue with one year but I spose they needed to offer two to get him across. The risk is they have burnt a list spot on this guy. He probably cost Dow or LOB their spot, or a late pick but I think that’s a risk that fans should be ok with.

If he gets his body right he slots straight in.
He’s good for a goal or two a game.

The other smalls will need to work harder with Charlie, Harry and Orazio being non- existent when it comes to defending when the opposition have the ball.
This will be their biggest concern with him in the side, the turnover from forward 50 entries.
Fantasia has had 72 tackles in a 19 game season. Jamie Elliott is considered to have good defensive efforts and had a PB of 70 tackles over 25 games this year.

He is probably a bit above average as a harassing small by way of forward pressure. I don’t think this is an issue as most are stating.

Fantasia has had 72 tackles in a 19 game season. Jamie Elliott is considered to have good defensive efforts and had a PB of 70 tackles over 25 games this year.

He is probably a bit above average as a harassing small by way of forward pressure. I don’t think this is an issue as most are stating.
Hmm let’s see.

I don’t see a lot of run and chase in his game, but you and I obviously have different views on whether he’s a liability when his side doesn’t have the ball. The year you quoted was 8 seasons ago, he hasn’t come close to that since.

If it’s no issue and he stays fit, he’s a great asset to that side.

If he’s not the player that will run and chase and put those 1%ers in when they are needed, your other smalls better work on their running as they will be carrying another player in that side when the ball shoots out of the 50.

No doubt Carlton supporters will be gushing over the goal or two he kicks per game, but it’s not this side of his game they should be evaluating.

And by the way, my view is it’s a potential low risk high reward move and worth the punt from Austin and Co.

Huge watch for me...

I don't understand the 2 years at all (he damn well better be on the minimum), especially after offloading Fisher (contracted) in a display of soft negotiations from us IMO.

Fantasia hasn't delivered for a long time, he's always struck me as talented, flashy but pretty selfish and defensively questionable and someone who's allergic to the gym. Port fans?

I have question marks over Austin as our list manager. Will be thrilled be proven wrong about this and other moves, but a few things are pilling up for mine.
GWS might have offered 2 years on minimum wage, or 1 year then an option.
Carlton had to better that offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back