Free Agency Orazio Fantasia - will join Carlton as a delisted free agent, 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll have to delist him since the trade period is past. They can't force him to re-sign. If he has to delist himself he'd end up in the draft, which is mean and pointless for someone they had no intention of keeping.

The list lodgement date should be soon, usually October 31, so they need to tell the AFL who is still on their list and how they plan to pay them next year and stay within the salary cap, so we should find out like tomorrow.

If they still have him on their list then it'd go against their list spots and their salary cap position, meaning they can't take as many picks to the draft and whatever. All delistings have to be finalised by this list lodgement.
Legend, thank you for the detail!

Feels like a move a team already challenging for a flag makes as the extra cream on top, low risk, high reward. The Blues, even with the impressive back half of the season still aren’t in that echelon. Making finals again would be a success in my eyes.
What echelon must a team be in to be worthy of picking up a delisted player?

Port and gws apparently offered 1yr on the rookie list.
Not sure about Port.

Had they offered him a contract I don’t believe he’d have been eligible to join Carlton as a DFA.

It would have had to have been via the draft.

Massive risk imo but he's an easy upgrade on what we have for very little.

How is it a massive risk?

We’ve given up nothing to get him and we’re likely paying him * all.

Sure the risk of injury is significant - his history tells us that - but if it happens the club hasn’t exactly lost much.

Not sure about Port.

Had they offered him a contract I don’t believe he’d have been eligible to join Carlton as a DFA.

How is it a massive risk?

We’ve given up nothing to get him and we’re likely paying him * all.

Sure the risk of injury is significant - his history tells us that - but if it happens the club hasn’t exactly lost much.
On the rookie list meant de list and redraft.

Not sure about Port.

Massive risk of him becoming injured again based on his history, not a massive risk of us losing out fwiw.

What I heard and also read on here was that he was 'not offered a contract' at port but the preliminaries started in a delist/rookie type deal but he preferred to test the market and port didn't stand in his way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back