Our bottom 5 players

Remove this Banner Ad

dermie52

Rookie
Feb 10, 2009
Caulfield
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you think that it's the bottom 5 players that determine the quality of your team.
Who do you think were the bottom 5 players of our round 1 team?
Mine are:
Anderson
Duryea
Ceglar
McEvoy
Suckling
That is why we are a fantastic team!!

If you think that it's the bottom 5 players that determine the quality of your team.
Mine are:
Anderson
Duryea
Ceglar
McEvoy
Suckling

I know where you're coming from, but it's interesting if you think about how these guys all played in round one, I wouldn't think they were our bottom five?

What I'm saying is, that you can have in your mind that players are the bottom 5 in a 22, but when they're still decent players, they can quickly be in the best 5 on the day. Ceglar was named in the best on the weekend in some reports and I couldn't argue with them.

You really shouldn't put people like Jed in there as his only played about 8 games, after a season or 2 he wont be any where near bottom 6 (Touch wood)
Also the fact the Suckling is a bottom 6 player makes me realise just how good this team really is.

You really shouldn't put people like Jed in there as his only played about 8 games, after a season or 2 he wont be any where near bottom 6 (Touch wood)
Also the fact the Suckling is a bottom 6 player makes me realise just how good this team really is.
That's exactly why he should be there though because right now he would be in the last 5 picked for the team

Don't forget that Birchall wasn't playing on the weekend either, which would drop one of those 5 out of the 'best 22'.
Our depth atm is scary good.

In addition to Birchall who missed on the weekend we also have Whitecross, O'Rourke, Lithers, Shoey, Spangher and Hartung who would all get games as best 22 players for other clubs.

Mine are:
Anderson
Duryea
Ceglar
McEvoy
Suckling

Yeah I'd say it would come from those guys and Poppy and Langers.

Scary that most would walk into every other team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to BF our bottom 5 is:

Hodge
Lake
Gibson
Hale
Frawley

And the rest wouldnt get a game at other clubs.:drunk:

Although the underrating on Hodge recently is bordering on insane, the underrating of Josh Gibson is almost unbelievable.

Go read an opposition matchday preview. So often you will hear how Gibson can't defend at all and that he is overrated, and how their teams should be trying to play through his man. Insanity.

Gibson beats basically whoever he plays on. He has had bags kicked on him by Hawkins and Cloke a few times (Usually when one out and conceding 10kg / 10cm), but he got bags kicked on him as rarely as ANY other of the best key defenders. In fact, Gibson has never been beaten as badly as the demolition job Tex did on Scott Thompson last weekend, yet no one will ever question Thompson.

Apart from being able to beat guys bigger than him, which he has proven to be able to do CONSISTENTLY, He is also quick and able to play on mid sized/smalls. He is probably close to the best reader of the play in the comp, the best at intercepting contests and knowing when to peel off, his disposal and rebound is up there with the best running HBF and in congestion, his contested ball work / handballing under pressure is as good as an inside midfielder.

He is probably one of the most underrated defenders of ALL time, and is almost the perfect modern day prototype defender, that can do absolutely anything. The guy is a dead set star.

Although the underrating on Hodge recently is bordering on insane, the underrating of Josh Gibson is almost unbelievable.

Go read an opposition matchday preview. So often you will hear how Gibson can't defend at all and that he is overrated, and how their teams should be trying to play through his man. Insanity.

Gibson beats basically whoever he plays on. He has had bags kicked on him by Hawkins and Cloke a few times (Usually when one out and conceding 10kg / 10cm), but he got bags kicked on him as rarely as ANY other of the best key defenders. In fact, Gibson has never been beaten as badly as the demolition job Tex did on Scott Thompson last weekend, yet no one will ever question Thompson.

Apart from being able to beat guys bigger than him, which he has proven to be able to do CONSISTENTLY, He is also quick and able to play on mid sized/smalls. He is probably close to the best reader of the play in the comp, the best at intercepting contests and knowing when to peel off, his disposal and rebound is up there with the best running HBF and in congestion, his contested ball work / handballing under pressure is as good as an inside midfielder.

He is probably one of the most underrated defenders of ALL time, and is almost the perfect modern day prototype defender, that can do absolutely anything. The guy is a dead set star.
B&F winner in a premiership year pretty much sums up Gibbo's worth

Gibbo is in our top 3 with roughy and hodge. No AA is quite a big snub. An injury free year will see that changed if Monday is any guide.

As for our bottom 5, ours is clearly the best in the league. We have players with weaknesses like every other club but as a squad we have no weaknesses apart from star chf's playing for box hill (but who has them??).

I think with the addition of frawley we have the ideal structure for the modern game. Mobile talls up forward supported by a swarm of fierce tackling little men. Mids who are elite at winking their own ball. The two best wings in the Comp. two aa level kpd. An array of other defenders who can play talk and small. The best kicks off hbf in the comp. amazing depth in all positions and three ruckman who can play forward. Outstanding recruiting and player development.

couldn't think of 5 so i just did 3 players
In order:
Anderson
Suckling
Ceglar

if u were to do the worst 5 just from the round 3 game,
it would be(not in order):
Anderson
Suckling
Ceglar
Bruest
Smith

Bottom 5 of what I see as best 22 (uninjured) based on form this year

Frawley - still integrating into system
Ceglar -but very good as a second ruck
Smith - seems to have been shut down/ out
Langford - particularly on round 2 output seemed off
Whitecross - still adjusting to pace from injury

FWIW that's from a 22 of (may not have the exact positions right):

FB Gibson Lake Frawley
HB Suckling Stratton Birchall
C Hill Lewis Smith
HF Puopolo Gunston Rioli
FF Breust Rough Burgoyne
Foll McEvoy Hodge Mitchell

I/C Ceglar Langford Shiels Whitecross

Anderson, O'rourke, hartung, could be substituted with Whitecross. Yes, that's a scary bottom 5 - 7

Doesn't he play as the first ruck, McEvoy is the second ruck. That's why Hawthorn played McEvoy in the forward line all nab challange. Ceglar is the better tap Ruckman.
So I may have to take Cegs out of bottom 5 and put Suckling in then... it'll make me look like one of the haters but I can't really find an alternative (I rate puopolo highly)

So I may have to take Cegs out of bottom 5 and put Suckling in then... it'll make me look like one of the haters but I can't really find an alternative (I rate puopolo highly)
I rate poppy, he is a pocket rocket. Suckling hasn't been performing, another couple bad weeks from him and he is out of the team IMO.

Doesn't he play as the first ruck, McEvoy is the second ruck. That's why Hawthorn played McEvoy in the forward line all nab challange. Ceglar is the better tap Ruckman.

I think that's as much about the fact that McEvoy has elite endurance for a big man so can spend more time on the ground, hence is more likely to be up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back