Our forward line is the envy of the comp because...

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 14, 2012
Los Santos
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Nick Diaz, Exers
We're coaching now. The majority of us on this board don't believe he is performing so:

Out:
images

In: upload_2014-8-20_20-9-2.jpeg

So last week NM lined up:

Firrito Thompson McDonald

Atley Grima Wright

* Hansen is a "Test" this week.

So what Fwds should we play? Taking into account the match-ups do we play all 3 tall-fwds? Does it depend on Hansen getting up?

Now after picking our team where do we play them? Will we use a decoy. Should we isolate a particular match-up? Who should lead up the ground and which players stay back?

I'd personally go with the following line up:

Cameron Pods Danger

Jenkins Walker Betts

KPF:

I'd use Walker to draw Thompson, their only KFB that I genuinely rate, out of the Fwd line allowing Pods to have a chance at a contested mark. I think it's safe to say Thompson will be sent onto Tex. Tex is also very good at delivering I50.

I'd expect Firrito to go with Pods as he is the only other big bodied defender that could go with Pods. I can't see them sending Hansen to him since Hansen seems to be a loose man type player. Pods would have the upper hand in this exchange.

Jenkins will have Hansen sent to him as he is the last of their tall defenders. I would instruct Jenkins to lead up to the wing and hang around the 55-60m mark. This will negate Hansen's great intercept marking. It will also allow Jenkins to burn Hansen when he runs into the 50 after we've gone I50 meaning he can do what he does best. That is out-sprinting his opponents to receive a kick or handball and run into a relatively open goal.

Small/Medium Fwds:

I'm not sure on the match-ups in this case. If people more knowledgeable on North's smaller defenders could comment and suggest match ups it would be appreciated.

Danger needs a rest and if we are going to do anything in the finals, if we make it, he needs to be as fit as can be. He should be used as our lead up forward I50 this week. All of north's defenders can't keep up with him and his marking overhead is terrific. We complain about there being no movement and leads in our fwd line well put him there and open it up with Walker and Jenkins drawing out their usual third man ups then Danger should have the space. Remember him in his first few years he was unstoppable on the lead.. We'll just tell him not to play on or run into a goal-post.

Cameron will be instructed to buzz around Pod's feet at all times. He doesn't get a lot of possessions, he's still learning, but if we can make sure he stays inside 50 he'll do damage. I'm sick of seeing our KPFs put the ball to ground without Cameron or Betts on the ground waiting for it.. Cameron this week you will be 10m away from Pods whenever possible.

Betts is great at passing to leading players I50 and knowing when to break out the back of the pack. He can hang around 35-60m out. He will either crumb Danger's leads, lead up to the 50-60m mark and deliver it, or break from packs. He also has the pace to run back after Cameron crumbs Pods receive a handball from Cameron and goal it. He will swap roles with Cameron during the night.

I understand players rotate but obviously this is a simplistic view however this is game-plan A i would go with.

I'd also man-up any loose man. I'm over us getting killed by their 7th defender. Smith will just have to run off his man.

What match-ups and structure would others go with?

* Was considering naming this thread "Bickley has been sacked" but knew I'd be carded because of the excitement I'd have caused.

Last edited:
On paper, not a bad call

Why the **** isn't footy played on paper!!

Exactly what I was thinking after I posted this. It's easy to type it out however the rolling zones have pretty much nullified a lot of strategy. It means you have to play on the moment.

However if we can try to implement these sort of match-ups when it is possible then it would work. The problem is that we don't seem to even apply a thought out structure even when it is possible. There have been 100's of times we have entered the 50 and seemingly had no structure. So often it is us bombing it onto 2 KPF's head or bombing it on Eddies head. Yes it is not on paper but proper coaching surely wouldn't allow this to happen.

Why is Eddie on his own I50? Surely we didn't need all 3 KPFs outside 50. Can't we have 1 KPF I50 and 1 crumber? Can't we create space when entering 50 allowing someone like Danger to lead into? I can only really recall Tex finding true space when leading I50.

It's all about being well drilled.

Last edited:

I understand the whole try and take Thompson away from the 50, but I so very much prefer Tex closer to goals.

Ideally I would drop Pods for Lynch and let Lynch be the workhorse up and down the ground. Look at Tex vs Brisbane (I know Brisbane were poor and lack key defenders) but Tex was the main man up forward and relished in the responsibility.. He seems to get a bit lost with Pods in the line up.

I understand the whole try and take Thompson away from the 50, but I so very much prefer Tex closer to goals.

Ideally I would drop Pods for Lynch and let Lynch be the workhorse up and down the ground. Look at Tex vs Brisbane (I know Brisbane were poor and lack key defenders) but Tex was the main man up forward and relished in the responsibility.. He seems to get a bit lost with Pods in the line up.
Isn't lynch gone for the year? Or have they back flipped on that?

Lynch has a broken neck, out for 6-8 weeks

Exactly what I was thinking after I posted this. It's easy to type it out however the rolling zones have pretty much nullified a lot of strategy. It means you have to play on the moment.

However if we can try to implement these sort of match-ups when it is possible then it would work. The problem is that we don't seem to even apply a thought out structure even when it is possible. There have been 100's of times we have entered the 50 and seemingly had no structure. So often it is us bombing it onto 2 KPF's head or bombing it on Eddies head. Yes it is not on paper but proper coaching surely wouldn't allow this to happen.

Why is Eddie on his own I50? Surely we didn't need all 3 KPFs outside 50. Can't we have 1 KPF I50 and 1 crumber? Can't we create space when entering 50 allowing someone like Danger to lead into? I can only really recall Tex finding true space when leading I50.

It's all about being well drilled.

Good points!

--------------------------------
Betts Walker Kerridge
Douglas Jenkins Cameron
--------------------------------

Some interesting reading here.

Inquirer_Round22.jpg

Didn't know Rory was Top 5 for assists.

On a bright sunny September afternoon our forward line could rip anyone apart. I remember Craig use to tell us he was trying to implement a game style that would win in September. He use to tell us that sometimes you lose games in April May march June and July as a result. There was no point qualifying for finals with everything you got and have nothing for the next level.

We actually have as good as finals style of football as anyone, we have the best forward line for that sought of footy as well. Its just our defensive action, we don't have any multi dimensional midfielders and our defenders are yet to graduate from primary school.

When footy becomes more of the one on one contested s**t late in September, some really good teams would struggle against us.

I remember Craig use to tell us he was trying to implement a game style that would win in September. He use to tell us that sometimes you lose games in April May march June and July as a result. There was no point qualifying for finals with everything you got and have nothing for the next level.

Craigy certainly ignored his own philosophy when it came to Andrew McLeod and Jason Porplyzia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie has annoyed me this year.

Yes, he's kicked plenty of goals and set a bunch up but he so often seems to turn the ball over or have no impact in a contested situation.

This is probably impacted by the amount of high ball we send his way where he is dominated in the air (often against two opponents) but I can't get the memory out of my head of his and Douglas' turnover just outside our forward 50 against the Hawks...

Eddie has annoyed me this year.

Yes, he's kicked plenty of goals and set a bunch up but he so often seems to turn the ball over or have no impact in a contested situation.

This is probably impacted by the amount of high ball we send his way where he is dominated in the air (often against two opponents) but...

But? But?

Tough crowd :D

Just need to kick straighter at times. And not turn over. Turn overs killed us this season.

Was there ever a time when our kicking for goal was good? I can't remember it. There was that one time we played Essendon and kicked like 21.4 or something like that. Nothing else comes to mind.

Your right about the turn overs. In particular scores from turnovers. Nothing worse than seeing us cough it up with the handball chain coming out of defense.

"The game is not played on paper."

Screw that.. How many countless throws in did we have 70m out and a quick kick would go in with one KPF there and 3 Defenders.

Structure and Drilling a side well means everything this is a joke.. So many of our goals are simply created through individuals or a bounce going our way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back