Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our key defenders always look good pinch-hitting forward but when the opposition get the chance to plan for them it's a different story.

Convinced we need Bellchambers back as a FF and would think long and hard about moving Carlisle back and dropping Fletch so we can go with a more mobile forward line.

I think we might be underestimating how much carrying the ruck load for 2 weeks took out of both Carlisle and JD. Both struggled to work hard tonight and put distance on their opponents. Hopefully with a light week they will be fresh for Friday.

I think we might be underestimating how much carrying the ruck load for 2 weeks took out of both Carlisle and JD. Both struggled to work hard tonight and put distance on their opponents. Hopefully with a light week they will be fresh for Friday.

No one wins coming back from Perth either

I have come to the conclusion that Ambrose is the key man.

His work rate is absolutely first class, he opens up the space behind him and works back towards goal just as hard. We just looked so much better going forward when he was out there

I have come to the conclusion that Ambrose is the key man.

His work rate is absolutely first class, he opens up the space behind him and works back towards goal just as hard. We just looked so much better going forward when he was out there
Any word on when he is expected to be back? He's missed 3 weeks now.

it's pretty weird how the forward line looks good when the midfield is firing and it looks bad when the midfield isn't firing. i wonder if there's anything in th sack bassett

To be fair though (a) the midfield isn't going to dominate every time, and you need to be able to eek out scores when they're not; and (b) the forwardline didn't dominate every time the midfield did last year.

There are clearly big issues.

The good:
Kyle Hardingham (9 goals)
Paul Chapman (9 goals)
Brent Stanton (8 goals)
Brendon Goddard (5 goals)
Jason Winderlich (5 goals - 2 games)

The bad:
Joe Daniher (5 goals - 4 games)
Jake Carlisle (3 goals - 5 games)
Paddy Ryder (2 goals - 3 games)
Paddy Ambrose (3 goals - 2 games)
David Zaharakis (1 goal - 5 games)

Coleman medal leader right now is Nick Riewoldt & Jay Shultz with 17. Hardingham is 17th, equal with Stew Crameri.

I'd argue that Hardingham is in the bad category and Joe is in the good category, but that's neither here nor there.

There are clearly issues, but the most frustrating part is that it's not week in and week out.

for the first 3 weeks there was a pretty good flow to it, really good actually, considering how bad it has been

The good:
Paul Chapman (9 goals)
Brent Stanton (8 goals)

The bad:

Coleman medal leader right now is Nick Riewoldt & Jay Shultz with 17. Hardingham is 17th, equal with Stew Crameri.

PADDY AMBROSE! is hardly classified as bad. He bobbed up like a MFer when required. Would've been handy these past two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good:
Paul Chapman (9 goals)
Brent Stanton (8 goals)

The bad:

Probably should have clarified that these numbers are purely goals related! These guys are forwards but struggling for any such major impact.

3 goals against the reigning premiers in your 2nd game of AFL..... me gusta.

I want to keep seeing Ambrose in the team.
If/when Fletch retires: Hurley/Hooker/Carlisle back, Ambrose/Bellchambers/Daniher forward

Id always envisaged the taller Bellchambers in the ruck and the more nimble more accurate Ryder up forward.

Seems I was wrong. TBC is better up forward and Ryder in the ruck.
When Bellchambers puts a full season together he'll be a 40 goal player for us IMO

clearly the symptom of the failing forward line can be traced back to the times when we are forced by the opposition to move the ball in slowly thus having it all clogged up?

we need the plan b that isnt boming to the square to a pack of 40 players.

it is our ball movement that is the biggest problem.. we still don't look for targets.. we move it slowly and by the time it arrives.. all our forwards have at least 2 defenders to deal with..

Ambrose is a bigger out than he's been given credit for imo. The amount of unrewarded running he put in that help spread the opposition's defence combined with his relentless defensive pressure helped our forward line function properly.

I agree that we need his work rate because it seems to be automatic rather than conditional (as it is with some of our players).

Think that we are also clogging our forward half up with slow ball movement.

It's a bit chicken and egg. We probably can't pull the trigger on 40 to 60 meter kicks from half back if the forwards don't move but then there is no space to lead if we take 20 seconds to move the ball forward.

I also think that the message is confused. I still cannot believe that Myers, being the prime example, doesn't even look for the 50m to 60m pass when about 100m to 120m from goal and that no one even leads at him. Think that in the message the balance between risk taking and ball retention is not as clear as Bomber likes to think it is.

The one constant is that we need the mids and small forwards working bloody hard the way they did when we played well in the first three rounds because this helps to create space and even out the numbers in our forward line.

Cannot believe Bomber's comments on Carlisle in today's presser. Think that he's used the media to fire a few up in the last few days. He can't have that short a memory.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back