Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you compare our fwd line to the bench mark...Adelaide. They have got Betts and Cameron. We have Fant and Walla. Im happy with were we sit there going forward. But their bigs....Walker kicks plenty, Lynch (seem to remember him kicking 10 in a game) and Jenkins has kicked bags of 6 or so. Just cant wait till Stewart elevates himself to at least what Hooks gives us up there. There are reasons why the crows are where they are and even though our fwd line is functioning great, we can become more potent.

If you compare our fwd line to the bench mark...Adelaide. They have got Betts and Cameron. We have Fant and Walla. Im happy with were we sit there going forward. But their bigs....Walker kicks plenty, Lynch (seem to remember him kicking 10 in a game) and Jenkins has kicked bags of 6 or so. Just cant wait till Stewart elevates himself to at least what Hooks gives us up there. There are reasons why the crows are where they are and even though our fwd line is functioning great, we can become more potent.

Lynch is about 1.5 goals a game.

IMO how they compare:
Daniher > Walker
Fantasia < Betts
Walla > Cameron
Hooker = Jenkins
Stewart < Lynch

Once we start getting it in there more we should see a lot more improvement from all our forwards.

Personally I would like to see the mids get involved more also. I think that will come though once Langford and Begley are introduced too the midfield in coming seasons.
upload_2017-8-22_14-14-23.png

It's nice to not *need* to do anything to the best 22 in this part of the field, given where we started from at the beginning of this thread.

Hopefully this group keep on keeping on though. There's obviously an issue when we lose Hooker as well, so possibly some depth is needed there (perhaps that would typically be Mitch Brown? Although he was injured when Hooker was so never got to take up that spot).

FORWARDS
Midfielders/forwards:
Orazio Fantasia, Jackson Merrett, Jayden Laverde, Ben Howlett
General forwards: Josh Begley, Josh Green, Mason Redman, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Jake Long
Key forwards: Joe Daniher, Cale Hooker, James Stewart

Summary: As one of the highest scoring sides in the competition this year, Essendon has no problems in attack. Their three key forwards worked well together this year, and there's a bunch of smaller options as well.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-13/the-dons-depth-chart

I think a top end kpf draftee is required in the next 3 yrs.
I like that our forward line could be close to the same mix for at least the next 5 years. That's the hardest thing to get right and it's very young.
A little strange not having to worry about our fwd line.

The blend of Daniher, Hooker, Stewart, Fantasia, Tippa, Laverde and Begley is almost perfect. No, I don't rate Green and there is nothing I've seen from him this year that indicates that he play a game next year unless we have injury problems (his problems are compounded by his foot injury which, contrary to what people may think, does not give me any joy). My only real gripe is that Daniher is still rucking and he shouldn't be - that heated contest with Sam Gilbert where they were both leading with their knees is the stuff of nightmares.

The quality of our depth of talls and smalls is only average and needs to be worked on.

I'd have already been on the phone to Jon Freeman to tell him to come down for training at the earliest possible opportunity. He'd only have to prove to me that he's fit and that he's got the desire. At worst he's a target-man we can use to cover for Hooker for a few years because one thing he has done quite regularly is take big pack marks close to goal - I'd have much more faith in Freeman to be effective as a deep forward than McKernan (who is not horrible but not good either). At best he's a long term replacement. I wouldn't read too much into his being de-listed as he has struggled with injury and has fallen down a long list of quality young talls.

I'd also make a point of ensuring that Boyse doesn't slip through our grasp which probably means using at least our third round pick. Given his physical attributes and natural athleticism he has 22 AFL games in him for 2018 (remember that he is already 23). We might not necessarily need it but it would give us the flexibility to enable us to focus on the development of the young mid-sized forwards as the midfielders that we need them to be.

Last edited:
Yeah we definitely need some KPP depth but at the same time I'd be looking for someone that could develop into a good 2nd tall to replace Hooker and work with Joey in a couple of years. Not sure what sort of KPF prospects are available in the draft this year as any good ones will probably taken high anyway.
If one was available at pick 11 do we choose him as they take longer or go for the mid we more desperately need now.

Yeah we definitely need some KPP depth but at the same time I'd be looking for someone that could develop into a good 2nd tall to replace Hooker and work with Joey in a couple of years. Not sure what sort of KPF prospects are available in the draft this year as any good ones will probably taken high anyway.
If one was available at pick 11 do we choose him as they take longer or go for the mid we more desperately need now.

Freeman is one and I reckon that Ottavi is another. I'd almost clear a list spot deliberately just to get Ottavi into the system. I reckon that he'll be on an AFL list in 2019 but it will be a more expensive exercise.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back