Opinion Our home ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looking at the MCG right now, I can’t help but feel triggered that we barely get to play there. Saints and Dogs fans prob feel the same. It was our home ground before “close the roof” stadium was built - which incidentally is never ever open anyway 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️. I for one don’t like marvel. I hate not being able to watch footy in the sunshine and always feeling enclosed there. I don’t like the atmosphere there.

Do you think that us having to play at that stadium

a) works against us getting players as they know they have to play there?

b) triggers our own players who barely get to experience the G (note: Tarrant having played like 12 MCG games over his entire career up until now)

C) is a massive disadvantage should we ever make a grand final again?

Or

D) is actually good for the smaller clubs as the stadium doesn’t look quite so barren when we get a small crowd like the G did the other week when melb played GWS?

(And FYI this is just about the Melb based clubs - I don’t want to discuss how the interstate clubs don’t play there either as 1) they’re interstate and 2) their stadiums are all outdoors so at least they get that. And yeah we get Hobart but I would prefer us to stop playing there so we can see more home games in Melbourne).

It probably is a disadvantage not being able to play at the G, but I love how easy Marvel is to get to in comparison. I also reckon the atmosphere goes way up with the roof open at Marvel - they should 100% keep it open more often.

It probably is a disadvantage not being able to play at the G, but I love how easy Marvel is to get to in comparison. I also reckon the atmosphere goes way up with the roof open at Marvel - they should 100% keep it open more often.
The G is easy to get to though.

The G is easy to get to though.
Eh, I live in Yarraville so it’s a 15 minute drive or 10 mins via train to Marvel for me. Feels like there’s heaps more parking options around there too? I could be confused on that though as the last time I went to MCG was round 1 when they shut the car park.

Eh, I live in Yarraville so it’s a 15 minute drive or 10 mins via train to Marvel for me. Feels like there’s heaps more parking options around there too? I could be confused on that though as the last time I went to MCG was round 1 when they shut the car park.
Yeah I suppose it depends where you’re based. That’s interesting about round 1 because we trained in but got a lift back with a family member who’d parked in the ground. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Docklands is better suited to our club. It's closer to our base and it's a smaller stadium and thus better suited to our membership. It has also been our home ground for longer than the MCG ever was.

Docklands is better suited to our club. It's closer to our base and it's a smaller stadium and thus better suited to our membership. It has also been our home ground for longer than the MCG ever was.
Only if we can get 30k to 40k to home games would even make it better since in the 2nd of the season we will have a lot of 1:10pm and 4:40pm games on a Saturday and Sunday with good ole Foxtel/Kayo doing the games.

Yeah these points I get but:

1. It’s always indoors and I hate that. It could be a beautiful 22 degree day outside and we’re stuck inside a grey, concrete monolith.
2. We don’t get to practise on the ground the GF is played on, should we ever get there again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back