Our Age Demographic in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

With the retirements of Jack, Cunners, Hally and Howe, plus Goldy's (incredibly stupid decision to play on at *essendon. Apart from port adelaide, any other club would be okay), those 5 alone equate to 70 years more than our 5 draftees in age terms or roughly reduce the age demographic by around 1.60 years across the list.

Surely we will have close to the youngest list in the competition next year?

With the retirements of Jack, Cunners, Hally and Howe, plus Goldy's (incredibly stupid decision to play on at *essendon. Apart from port adelaide, any other club would be okay), those 5 alone equate to 70 years more than our 5 draftees in age terms or roughly reduce the age demographic by around 1.60 years across the list.

Brady said we will be the youngest this morning on SEN

Yep. Very young.

Positive Spin: We were young in most core areas last year and had interrupted years in particular from a few of our key age / experience players - LDU, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Thomas chief amonst them. Have also brought in a couple of experienced players from Carlton & Sydney right in that prime age group.

Negative Spin: We are still very vulnerable to injury.

For mine I'm expecting us to now start climbing the mountain again but this is a very young group if we have injuries to key players.

our average age decreases a lot but the overall change is that previously we had a lot of guys who were past their prime and a lot of guys who weren't at their prime yet. we lose the guys who are past their prime, and the younger guys keep moving into their prime.

13 players between 18 and 20 (as at start of 2024 season)
10 players between 21 and 23
13 players between 24 and 26
and only 6 players 27 and over.

The next year or two will primarily be about development as we build up the youngster strength and endurance and getting them up to speed with the gameplan, but you just feel that if their talent matches their draft selection the rise up the standing will be pretty rapid. There is too much talent not to rise quickly after another year or two of inconsistency.

Yup. Average 50.3 games and 23.4 years old over the current whole list. North Melbourne Playing List for 2024 - Draftguru

Hence the reason there was no way we could have contemplated trading next years First Round Pick. We could be more competitive and win more games but still end up collecting another wooden spoon, though my tip for that "honour" remains the Eagles.

our average age decreases a lot but the overall change is that previously we had a lot of guys who were past their prime and a lot of guys who weren't at their prime yet. we lose the guys who are past their prime, and the younger guys keep moving into their prime.
I agree completely - but they have to be able to get on the park for 18+ games a year. Say what you will about some stalwarts in recent years with form up or down - blokes like JZ got on the park and stayed on the park. That stability in your core group 23-30 is what wins games.

Last in age, games, goals and the most new players of anyone else.

We need a good 5-6 players to have breakout seasons (and one or two to have phenomenal seasons) or we will be in the bottom 2 again.

View attachment 1858697

Yeah. I think if we can get debut seasons somewhere in the middle ground between Sheezel (outrageous and available all year) and Wardlaw (brilliant but missed a lot of footy) out of our #2 & #3 picks and get 20+ games out of LDU, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Thomas etc we can get some wins on the board. The ones we need to take that next step up 20% are types like Bergman, Goater, Curtis and maybe even Ford. We need a competent ruck performance out of Xerri for close to a full season as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time the youngest list in the league finished outside the bottom 4?

Must be a rarity.

For the record I’m excited by the clubs direction but this reeks of one more year of pain. That said not many of those teams could boast the potential (such a dirty word but still) we have.

Just had a look at the list and realised there is no-one pre-2020 who has won the B&F! Only 4 years ago!

Only 3 players LMac, Jyx2, Sheezel.

Inexperienced is an understatement.
I didn't realise LMac had won our BnF! That gives me hope that last year was just a blip. Has he normally performed a lot better, or was the BnF the blip instead?

I didn't realise LMac had won our BnF! That gives me hope that last year was just a blip. Has he normally performed a lot better, or was the BnF the blip instead?
He had a good year. But since then seems to have lost his way a little. I'm not as critical as some. That said, he can be prone to what looks like panicking and poor decision making - which is frustrating. Has the physical attributes.

When was the last time the youngest list in the league finished outside the bottom 4?

Must be a rarity.

For the record I’m excited by the clubs direction but this reeks of one more year of pain. That said not many of those teams could boast the potential (such a dirty word but still) we have.
It looks like there's a bit of history if the youngest sides playing above bottom 4. The list is below. I've removed the first few years of GWS and GC where they were ridiculously young and bad.

2023 - Hawks - 16th
2022 - Crows - 14th
2021 - Crows - 15th
2020 - Suns - 14th
2019 - Suns - 18th
2018 - Suns - 17th
2017 - Lions - 18th
2016 - Lions - 17th
2015 - Giants - 11th
2014 - Power - 5th*
2013 - Power - 7th*
2012 - Tigers - 12th*
2011 - Demons - 13th*
2010 - Roos - 9th
2009 - Hawks - 9th
2008 - Blues - 14th

*expansion teams removed

I would be happy with 14th or 15th place on the ladder. I think we will be better than WC, maybe Hawthorn and a couple of sides might drop down.

It looks like there's a bit of history if the youngest sides playing above bottom 4. The list is below. I've removed the first few years of GWS and GC where they were ridiculously young and bad.

2023 - Hawks - 16th
2022 - Crows - 14th
2021 - Crows - 15th
2020 - Suns - 14th
2019 - Suns - 18th
2018 - Suns - 17th
2017 - Lions - 18th
2016 - Lions - 17th
2015 - Giants - 11th
2014 - Power - 5th*
2013 - Power - 7th*
2012 - Tigers - 12th*
2011 - Demons - 13th*
2010 - Roos - 9th
2009 - Hawks - 9th
2008 - Blues - 14th

*expansion teams removed

I would be happy with 14th or 15th place on the ladder. I think we will be better than WC, maybe Hawthorn and a couple of sides might drop down.
Gee & Tigre’s may drop down
* may too if they don’t start well

2023 - Hawks - 16th
2022 - Crows - 14th
2021 - Crows - 15th
2020 - Suns - 14th
2019 - Suns - 18th
2018 - Suns - 17th
2017 - Lions - 18th
2016 - Lions - 17th
2015 - Giants - 11th
2014 - Power - 5th*
2013 - Power - 7th*
2012 - Tigers - 12th*
2011 - Demons - 13th*
2010 - Roos - 9th
2009 - Hawks - 9th
2008 - Blues - 14th

*expansion teams removed

Why can’t we follow the 2010 team. I reckon 9th is doable

2023 - Hawks - 16th
2022 - Crows - 14th
2021 - Crows - 15th
2020 - Suns - 14th
2019 - Suns - 18th
2018 - Suns - 17th
2017 - Lions - 18th
2016 - Lions - 17th
2015 - Giants - 11th
2014 - Power - 5th*
2013 - Power - 7th*
2012 - Tigers - 12th*
2011 - Demons - 13th*
2010 - Roos - 9th
2009 - Hawks - 9th
2008 - Blues - 14th

*expansion teams removed

Awesome work thanks!

The short term prospects are definitely not as bleak as I'd thought although it's become more difficult in recent years. The 2010 team should be the goal but anything 14th and up would be a success.

It'd be interesting to see a comparison between the teams.

13 players between 18 and 20 (as at start of 2024 season)
10 players between 21 and 23
13 players between 24 and 26
and only 6 players 27 and over.

The next year or two will primarily be about development as we build up the youngster strength and endurance and getting them up to speed with the gameplan, but you just feel that if their talent matches their draft selection the rise up the standing will be pretty rapid. There is too much talent not to rise quickly after another year or two of inconsistency.

Internally we should be bullish and not talk about a “year or two of inconsistency” because that creates lows standards. We should aim high and really anything is possible. All the young blokes we have a high achievers who are used to winning in junior footy. Time to start building the winning culture again.

Once we get a taste for it I reckon we will just rise rapidly. Could even happen in 2024

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hence the reason there was no way we could have contemplated trading next years First Round Pick. We could be more competitive and win more games but still end up collecting another wooden spoon, though my tip for that "honour" remains the Eagles.

Must be a rarity.

Look I was at the last match of the season in Hobart and I am telling you if we play that type of game with that style of game plan after a full preseason we will be winning a minimum of 10 matches in 2024 bookmark it Stern:Look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back