News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

That (what happened) was completely taken out of context by the media. He made an honest mistake that was misconstrued. If anything he was TOO competent for the job! Besides the point, I think you are right about his current job. From all accounts he’s loving it and enjoying looking after the women’s team too. I hope they don’t just settle for someone though.

God, you got to hand it to them. They can sell the same thing to the fan base time and time again and they'll keep buying it.

Club: Don't you worry about this thing that's happening. It's only happening because of something far far better that will happen in time, but we can't reveal to you right now. All will be made clear in time. Trust us.

Crows fans: Wow, I can't wait to see the suprise! You beaut!

What's annoying too is the club created the whole problem by waiting until the end of the season to decide on the review and then spent weeks getting it organised.

Sapwell would be getting the job based on a recommendation from Phil Smyth. If there was an interview process it would of been for show.

Think that’s a stretch - recommendation of 1 person? Sapwell is a bit of a strange pick on face value but he’s got a very good reputation around town for his work with young people (i.e high school) and sport. I’ve heard Jenny Williams speak very highly of him.

This club is epic hahaha

Cornes and Bicks were laying the groundwork for Harper about 3 weeks ago. Obviously got the memo to soften up the members after Rowe and Ch 7 went with the "we're still relevant and almost have Vozzo over the line" move.

Pander to expectation and prepare the ground for the inevitable let down.

Looks like the senior coaching assistant we’re going to dispense with for soft cap expediency

Wonder if this makes a new footy ops manager more or less likely to be appointed?

given that both of the previous employees of those roles were toxic to success, it’s highly unlikely that an inanimate carbon rod would be worse. Having nobody in those roles is better than Campo or Burto remaining.

What's annoying too is the club created the whole problem by waiting until the end of the season to decide on the review and then spent weeks getting it organised.
You are spot on and whole thing has dragged on so badly ,that you just want now it looks like appointments will be finished ready for season ahead , you want to put some positives out there .
But really what the hell .
After a disastrous season we have replaced a experienced coach with a rookie coach (yes very experienced assistant who we hold hope on.)
But did we bring in another assistant from maybe a successful club to provide some backing .
Hell no we have him backed up by Clarke and ex SANFL coaches .
We even kept the coach nobody wants and who we wanted to dump last year but then had to keep and then after very successfully stuffing up our forward structure this year.
Now we waited all this time to fix up the very important role that previous incumbent put club on its knees.
To give this very very important role to Harper . He might be doing good job behind the scenes but totally over his head years ago when did job when it was a Mickey Mouse role not like it is these days.
Though prefer his dumb look to that smug look ego man had in interviews etc.
Not to sure how important the new role is but picking Rupert is certainly a bargain basement decision though a nice guy which a start I guess.
Look forward to first team photos in big colourful Hawaiian shirts.
Lets hope the draft delivers some positives.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked him as a basketballer, but that moves just reeks of finding the cheapest guy you can.
I worked with him a bit while coaching at Norwood Flames, nice guy, cares about the kids and always willing to help and pass on knowledge. Not sure what his qualifications are for this role. I actually didn't expect someone from a sport background, more of an academic, psychologist type first, sport second.

Harper was my year 8 football coach. He was by far the softest coach I had in my career.

Absolute joke this club is. Are we serious? Learnt nothing from the review. It’s shameful.
If it was truly a one year fill-in until someone like Vozzo can wrap up his obligations at the Eagles then it's fine, I just have absolutely zero faith they'll try and look for someone else once Harper is in the chair.

If it was truly a one year fill-in until someone like Vozzo can wrap up his obligations at the Eagles then it's fine, I just have absolutely zero faith they'll try and look for someone else once Harper is in the chair.
This is my problem. They have form in not attempting to find someone better.

Trigg
Burton
Chapman
Hart
Campo
Poulos

There‘s really not much left to do anyway. The rest of the departments are locked in and I expect Fagan, Nicks and Roo will be fielding enquiries from potential coaching recruits. I don’t imagine Harper getting involved in any key decisions. My money is on there not even being an announcement, rather the role remains unfilled and Harper’s dept will pitch in if something low level or administrative needs doing.

I could get down with the "Harper's too smart" theory.

Too smart for that role. Way overqualified. We're holding you back, Phil. Fly away free bird

He really should be continuing the work of the late Stephen Hawking instead of wasting time at the AFC. We need to release him for the benefit of the world.

The concern I have ( of many) is that we seemingly dont future plan. Sure I dont know what goes on inside the 4 walls - but from outside it tends to be a very cosy place to exist.

There was a great deal of talk about ''competitive tension'' and how sportspeople thrive on it. Yet there doesnt seem to be competitive tension anywhere in the internals of the AFC

Chairman oversees terrible events - carry on
Board members - job for life if one wants - carry on
Football operations - and here we have 2 examples of incompetence being rewarded.
Coaching staff - job for life boys

Why should I try and perform at 100% when 75% keeps me in a job?

Where is the headhunting that should start BEFORE a person is pried out of that sticky chair. Any organisation needs to identify future leaders and managers before they leave the shop floor. Any organisation identifies external talent and asks the question well before they are needed.

To be fair this may have been something Dunstall identified in Burton ( and the club) ie part of Football Ops would be identifying coaches and fitness people , medicals , analysts etc that are up and coming and asking the question months/years out.

Its symptomatic of our culture that seniority is lauded and youth are told to bide their time. Get the balance right and watch us soar

Dunstall was employed to review the football department, which resulted in the sackings of Burton (tick) and Camporeale (tick), and Pyke walking (ultimately, based on results, a tick). He also identified the need for a position to oversee culture. Dunstall did his job well.

However, the people who make the appointments - the administration - once again go unscathed, because they were conveniently left out of the review. If a true club-wide external review process occurred by an independent organisation, the administration of the club would be turfed.

Until the actual function of the club changes, then nothing will change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back