News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

I bumped into a GWS player on the weekend who basically said Nicks is a ready made coach who installed a real resolve and toughness in the playing group he also went on to say that he rates Wayne Campbell highly (seems to be the reflection of the playing group) and believes a potential Nicks - Campbell combination would be a real winner

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was right. That picture from the Essendon coaching box during this year epitomises the ridiculousness that AFL has become.
View attachment 777252
I don't really see the issue with this myself.

The sport has grown a hell of a lot from the 'old school'days where you have an entire team to support assistant coaches and the head coach to try push the message out. Not sure what's so ridiculous about it.

Adam Kelly’s an interesting one,very different background to Burton and sounds like he’d be brought in to counter Fagan’s perceived lack of football background. More a corporate style with a good understanding of football, rather than your footballer who has an understanding of the corporate.

He very much seems like one you’d bring on as a potential to take on the CEO role in time.

Interesting to combine with Jars rumour of Vozzo being a year away.Are Fagan’s days numbered and we’re creating a succession plan? Kelly for 1 year as football ops with Fagan CEO, then Fagan departs(there were rumours a year or so ago that he’d be gone, or had other plans), Kelly takes over as CEO and Vozzo takes over football ops?
I have heard that Kelly is not a fan of Fagan or the Crows due to dealings he has had while at the SANFL. I don't know if it would affect his desire to accept the position if he was interested.

I think he would be a good appointment if it happens, totally different skill set to Burton and as an outsider would bring in totally new ideas and methodologies. Seems to be a good fit for what we need atm.

I don't really see the issue with this myself.

The sport has grown a hell of a lot from the 'old school'days where you have an entire team to support assistant coaches and the head coach to try push the message out. Not sure what's so ridiculous about it.
Footy is not that hard. They’ve just made it complicated to justify the ridiculous money being spent on it.

To be fair, Bolton was hamstrung by SOS’s shit player selections and list management.
To be fair Bolton was hamstrung by no clear game plan.

Teague had the same players winning...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that was true, we'd see teams cutting their numbers in half, especially given the cap restrictions.
Some teams are going with less coaches these days though, not all clubs have senior assistants. Of course the stock standard mid/forward/ruck/forward coaches will be around, and then others who deal with things outside of match day (eg development coaches), but there’s no need to have more than 5 in a coaching box on game day (excluding the one or two stats people).

Some teams are going with less coaches these days though, not all clubs have senior assistants. Of course the stock standard mid/forward/ruck/forward coaches will be around, and then others who deal with things outside of match day (eg development coaches), but there’s no need to have more than 5 in a coaching box on game day (excluding the one or two stats people).
I think you'll find there's a few more than one or two stat people. Whilst their job mightn't seem that important compared to the assistant coaches, they're still apart of the cog that works towards that same goal. They'll be feeding line coaches with data they require, compiling footage to either provide to those coaches during the game or to the players during quarter breaks etc.

There was an article online earlier in the year which had a pic of who Collingwood had in the box - https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-07-12/explainer-whos-that-in-the-coaches-box

In this case you've got 6 coaches, 7 that are in an analyst/data kind of role (plus an intern) along with whatever category you want to put a game intelligence manager (oppo scout?).

I can't help but imagine most big clubs are going to have a similar number instead of this 6-7 number you're suggesting.

I think you'll find there's a few more than one or two stat people. Whilst their job mightn't seem that important compared to the assistant coaches, they're still apart of the cog that works towards that same goal. They'll be feeding line coaches with data they require, compiling footage to either provide to those coaches during the game or to the players during quarter breaks etc.

There was an article online earlier in the year which had a pic of who Collingwood had in the box - https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-07-12/explainer-whos-that-in-the-coaches-box

In this case you've got 6 coaches, 7 that are in an analyst/data kind of role (plus an intern) along with whatever category you want to put a game intelligence manager (oppo scout?).

I can't help but imagine most big clubs are going to have a similar number instead of this 6-7 number you're suggesting.
7 in a data analyst role does seem excessive though. 5 coaches seems pretty standard based on the post in the other thread.

Looks like the senior coaching assistant we’re going to dispense with for soft cap expediency

Wonder if this makes a new footy ops manager more or less likely to be appointed?
For me its not if thats the concern ( I think there will be an appointment) its who and why the who?

( oh and its not John Who ;) )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back