our pick in the PSD - WHO ???

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not sure that we could take Tippett as one of the zone picks in the rookie draft - isn't that for first timers?

Did we not take Corrie with a zone pick a couple of years ago?

List management wise would we be better taking Davis, & re-rookie Joel?Thats assuming that we are serious in regards to Davis. If we do have concerns re: the ruck during the year we could elevate Joel if & when required.

I am still all for recruiting Nick Davis. Additionally, Joel or any other one rookie is eligible for senior selection after round 11 without a primary list player being injured.

That profile of Ian Richardson sounded pretty good. He's pretty short, but his other abilities would appear to outweigh any disadvantage he have as a result of his height. Although he's not AFL experienced, he is established as a senior footballer in a state league and he could pose as another stroke of "mature-age recruit genius", to go alongside Patfull and Dalziell. I reckon mature-age recruits who have been performing well in state leagues are the ideal sort of players to go for in the pre-season draft.

I for one hope we do NOT seriously entertain recruiting Richardson. Have seen him first hand numerous times over the years and I am dead against it. If we do not take Davis, I don't mind the sounds of Rockliff, but each unto their own.

Did we not take Corrie with a zone pick a couple of years ago?

I thought,but I am just not sure,that we took Corrie in round 1 and then Clouston,Dzufer,Kiel and Tippett as zonal concessional picks.The number of concession picks depends on how many are on the veteran list.

The only decent pick is the outcast..Cousins..but who wants the legendary modern day champion of AFL?..

Hes just to hot to handle

Why is that, Dylan?

I saw a fair bit of him at colts level, even when he was botom age and I remember thinking back then how skinny he was and importantly how one dimensional he was. I know he had a good 2008 in the seniors and I must say I only saw him once when I was over in Perth this year and he still hadn't appeared to have gained much weight.

I personally think he is too slight for AFL and against stronger bodies than WAFL players, will easily be out-muscled in the AFL. He physically hasn't changed a lot and to kick as many goals as he this year was definitely a good effort, and considering he doesn't offer us anything more than a small forward, I would pass.

Thanks for the first hand re Richardson, I have not seen him live but was impressed with his stats.

I am still all for recruiting Nick Davis.

I for one hope we do NOT seriously entertain recruiting Richardson. Have seen him first hand numerous times over the years and I am dead against it. If we do not take Davis, I don't mind the sounds of Rockliff, but each unto their own.

I saw a fair bit of him at colts level, even when he was botom age and I remember thinking back then how skinny he was and importantly how one dimensional he was. I know he had a good 2008 in the seniors and I must say I only saw him once when I was over in Perth this year and he still hadn't appeared to have gained much weight.

I personally think he is too slight for AFL and against stronger bodies than WAFL players, will easily be out-muscled in the AFL. He physically hasn't changed a lot and to kick as many goals as he this year was definitely a good effort, and considering he doesn't offer us anything more than a small forward, I would pass.

Re the weight issue, it is Interesting to note that Ian Richardson is listed as 3cms taller and 2kgs heavier than Craig McRea… oh and I take it you have no concerns regarding the weight of Nick Davis. [wink]

179 cms - 74 kgs / Richardson
182 – 82 / Rolfe
183 – 83 / Rockliff
184 – 85?? / Davis
187 – 87 / Mangan

I also agree with Stocka re the PSD selections need to be ready to play in 09, especially now with the uncertainty of how the Hooper situation may evolve but happy for the rookie selections to continue to be project types and possible pre GC17 draft guesses.

Phil Matera was a fair bit shorter and just slightly heavier than Richardson. I'm not equating Richardson with Matera but there are some similarities, both in terms of their size and early playing careers. Having seen him play, Dylan12 is more qualified than I am to make a call. It is interesting to note though that Dylan saw a lot less of him this year when he seemed to make his mark. Personally, I think Richardson ticks a lot of the right boxes as far as the last spot on the list goes. But if our recruiters don't think he is capable of playing senior footy, then the fact that he is a mature aged, goal kicking small forward means bugger all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a fair bit of him at colts level, even when he was botom age and I remember thinking back then how skinny he was and importantly how one dimensional he was.

In what way Dylan? What was the dimension? Not grilling you but am interested in your strong views on this guy.

Reading the press reports, it seems that Richardson spent a bit of time in the midfield as well as in the forward line this year. He might have developed another string to his bow.

Robbie Copelend - Seriously I have read the Corrie/Hooper discussion on this and other treads. As far as I can recall, Bushy played more as a defensive goal kicking forward than Corrie did. He is a completely different player to Hooper, but if Hooper does not play again (or has a delayed start to the year) we know we would get half a dozen reliable games from Bushy while others develop into the role. Would be a great role model captaining the magoos. He is reliable, well motivated and trouble free. And he is probably cheap. Come on Vossy give Bushy a call. ;)

I can't understand why we were chasing Peter Street so hard. He really didn't perform on a consistent basis with 2 clubs.

You can't go after a guy who pulled out of the draft and openly said he isn't leaving Victoria.

Robbie Copelend - Seriously I have read the Corrie/Hooper discussion on this and other treads. As far as I can recall, Bushy played more as a defensive goal kicking forward than Corrie did. He is a completely different player to Hooper, but if Hooper does not play again (or has a delayed start to the year) we know we would get half a dozen reliable games from Bushy while others develop into the role. Would be a great role model captaining the magoos. He is reliable, well motivated and trouble free. And he is probably cheap. Come on Vossy give Bushy a call. ;)
No thanks.

I am not sure that we could take Tippett as one of the zone picks in the rookie draft - isn't that for first timers? - we might have to take him in round one (before others possibly doing so),although there is that supposed gentleman's agreement.

We get up to 3 priority zone selections in the Rookie Draft. These can be used on previous rookies of ours - we did this with Will Hamill in 2006 after he'd been with us for 2 years, and can easily do it again with Joel.

Anthony Corrie was not a zone selection in 2006 Rookie Draft - he was our first live pick (pick 4).

We should be looking at a deficiency and that is a crumbing small forward. With Hooper causing uncertainty with his playing future, Ian Richardson wouldnt be too bad of a choice especially if Nick Davis is not being drafted.

I don't mind the look of Sharples. His kicking seems to lack penetration but he shows good touch, has great pace and he's a ferocious tackler.

[youtube]jrT8zu7Y0hQ[/youtube]

On tha AFL site Sharples is listed as training with Hawthorn - noticed also that Spackman (training with Lions) is described as Brisbane Lions rookie.

I was truly surprised not to hear Rockliffs name called on draft day. I was waiting for it and it just never came. Natural goalkicking crumber with that 6th sense McRae had for always knowing where goals are and the same sneaky ability to create offload play when opposition come to him to try'n stop him. Hands & brain of a midfielder around the forward 50. And if Hoops dun wanna work, all reports suggest this lad would work his butt off. I'd be chuffed to see him at our club.

I was truly surprised not to hear Rockliffs name called on draft day. I was waiting for it and it just never came. Natural goalkicking crumber with that 6th sense McRae had for always knowing where goals are and the same sneaky ability to create offload play when opposition come to him to try'n stop him. Hands & brain of a midfielder around the forward 50. And if Hoops dun wanna work, all reports suggest this lad would work his butt off. I'd be chuffed to see him at our club.

Rockliff turned down the opportunity to train with Port leading up to the PSD. That gives me concerns over his attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back