Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
With Spida more or less gone, what are your opinions on our Ruck division? Are RC, ST and MB going to be enough to get us through, and get us to finals in the coming years, or should we chase something in the draft/trading? What do you think Clarko and the coaching/recruiting staff would be thinking at the minute???

Rob Campbell, and Max Bailey will be good enough. Max not in 2007.

Simon Taylor how can you give this guy a 2 year contract?

Leunberger is needed! Hope he slips through. Hopefully doesn't go top 3, and Brisbane won't go him beacsue they don't need ruckamn. Port are the danger as they have two good ruckman, but are getting old.

Yep and yep.

We've been full-on with our 'no guts, no glory' approach to recruiting up and now, so why change midstream.

I'd run with Leundberger at pick 6, hoping that Campbell, Bailey & Taylor can all stand up in 2007 while the new guy puts on some muscle and gets a feel for things at Box Hill.

McEntee is an interesting one. Will he be willing to spend another year on the rookie list?

This would be ideal, as we could see how he progresses in 2007 with a view to shafting Taylor and upping him for 2008.

Even if he does come on, I suspect McEntee will never be a pure ruckman as such, but could be handy as a mobile relieving option playing up forward.

if the burger slips to 6, we have to take him he will be a star. He is already the right size to walk straight into the AFL. Also how good will burger and bailey be in couple years times, most dominant ruck duo in comp. Also give us a chance to have Campbell in forward or back line, would be very hard to match up on as a forward.

This would have a forward line of

HF: Crawf, Roughead, Dowler
F: Willo, Campbell, Dicko

This could also mean you could move franklin up on wing, or midfield as he could be the next Goodes.

MC_9 said:
if the burger slips to 6, we have to take him he will be a star. He is already the right size to walk straight into the AFL. Also how good will burger and bailey be in couple years times, most dominant ruck duo in comp. Also give us a chance to have Campbell in forward or back line, would be very hard to match up on as a forward.

This would have a forward line of

HF: Crawf, Roughead, Dowler
F: Willo, Campbell, Dicko

This could also mean you could move franklin up on wing, or midfield as he could be the next Goodes.

Not a fan of Lance Franklin??

No i am a huge fan of Buddy, thats why he could be moved into midfield or wing, and become the next Goodes. He could be forward type midfielder, that could be very damaging. He is the type of player that would be hard to match up on, and could break the lines.

Hasn't Taylor been muted as a trade to Carlton? I reckon he is a good kid, particularly good kick at goal and crumbs like a rover...
As for Buddy I believe he can go on a wing for sure, has the pace and can kick goals...almost like one D Pritchard only taller and oozing talent....

No way can we afford to trade Taylor. We are on thin ice with Ruckman already. Campbell is ready for first ruck now. Bailey is backup, but really a bit prematurely... Taylor is there for insurance in case Campbell goes down. That would leave us with only Taylor and Bailey to ruck whole games.....

Imagine if we didn't have Taylor.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure we'll draft Leunberger at 6 if available.

It'd be an interesting management problem keeping both Bailey and Leuenberger happy if we were to get him. Both young, both want to be first ruck both from WA and a long way from the homes they know.

With Bailey's contract due end of next year, it'd be a masterful juggling act to keep everyone happy, given Campbell's first-ruck next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to be joking not only has simon taylor just re-signed for 2 years but he has no trade currency with carlton. Im confused why he deserved a new contract on what ive seen of him but he does give us security in our ruck stocks and a bit of experience compared with the berg??? and bailey and mcentee???

HawkFan15 said:
You have to be joking not only has simon taylor just re-signed for 2 years but he has no trade currency with carlton. Im confused why he deserved a new contract on what ive seen of him but he does give us security in our ruck stocks and a bit of experience compared with the berg??? and bailey and mcentee???

Campbell 199cm 1st ruck, Tayler 200cm+ back-up, Bailey 206cm backup, McEntee around 197cm promising rookie, Dawson 195cm drafted as ruck.

Taylor is a mature 200cm+ ruck option, every club has 2 or 3 listed, most of them aren't that good. Spider was 203cm, but with him now leaving that leaves just Tayler and Bailey on our list. Bailey still needs another season or two before he's an AFL standard product, while Tayler is a physically ready AFL battering ram in the ruck. Between them they can make a handy back-up partnership for the 2007 season. If things get serious with injuries there's always McEntee who's a very promising player who can be promoted if he isn't promoted anyway and then if there's a crisis we have Zac Dawson who was drafted as a ruck who could battle it out.

I also think the club will look at Rookie listing another Ruckman for next year, probably a 200cm player. If that happens there's 6 ruck options on our list. We're in a much better position that most clubs.

We didn't miss Spider this year, it gave Campbell a chance to become a number 1 and he did a great job. Ruckmen always thrive on hard work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back