Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick! Throw up the barricades! Circle the wagon's! There is a 'You are ignoring content by this member' in the thread! The good thing is I will never have to read their post, but some of you might need protecting.

It’s more than my chin that needs wiping.
My 'Browser History' needs wiping, but I don't know how to do it. Bloody computers!

Character building win from the mighty U12's today.

Bad Guys (Home) 1.1.7 - 1.6.12 - 4.9.33 - 5.10.40 (Final)
Good Guys (Away)3.1.19 - 4.3.27 - 5.4.34 - 8.6.54 (Final)

We were outscored in the 3rd and headed early in the Final Quarter, but we then slammed on three consecutive goals to run out 14 point winners.

Last edited:
Character building win from the mighty U12's today.

Bad Guys (Home) 1.1.7 - 1.6.12 - 4.9.33 - 5.10.40 (Final)
Good Guys (Away)3.1.19 - 4.3.27 - 5.4.34 - 8.6.54 (Final)

We were outscored in the 3rd and headed early in the Final Quarter, but we then slammed on three consecutive goals to run out 14 point winners.
Look at you! Learning from master Fagan and implementing the Traditional In-game Nap Time into your strategy! Well done sir!

Look at you! Learning from master Fagan and implementing the Traditional In-game Nap Time into your strategy! Well done sir!
The 3rd was a worry. We were getting killed out of the middle. 3KZ Junior had a cold all week and he is a lock as our Ruck Rover. He was a clearance machine in the first half and I thought he needed a spell, so I moved him to Full Forward. He set up our 3rd quarter goal, but we couldn’t get it out of the middle. I put him back in the middle in the last and we got back on top. We lost the lead in the last, but then kicked the final three goals of the game. 3KZ Junior took a ripper pack mark about 25 metres out directly in front and went back and drilled it to put us 7 points up and our ruckman snapped the sealer. There was no #TINT in the 3rd, because we were competitive, but just not at the stoppages.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50cliq members: Very satisfying that the team played for the full 4 quarters and the younger players stepping up especially. Also, some leadership on the field. The injuries were disappointing though (and kicking for goal).

50cliq members: Very satisfying that the team played for the full 4 quarters and the younger players stepping up especially. Also, some leadership on the field. The injuries were disappointing though (and kicking for goal).
Third quarters are still a major worry. Awesome win last night under horrendous circumstances but still lost that third again.

The pyrrhic nature of last night's victory reminded me of the famous 1976 game when a 17 man North Melbourne side somehow overcame Essendon at Arden Street.

Incidentally, North were 3W 5L going into the game yet still ended up making he grand final that year. The following week was the even more famous Blight after the siren game. Provided good value for money in those days, the Roos.

3KZ Junior had a cold all week
Honey and ginger in a glass of hot water. And go hard, put plenty in. I use the powered ginger from the supermarket but I'm sure the natural stuff is no worse. Twice a day I find is good.

Works well to make you feel better no matter what stage of a cold you take it, but I've found VERY effective at killing it off completely at the very first hint of feeling a bit average.

Way cheaper and more effective than anything from the chemist. Highly recommend.

Came across this remedy whilst in a Rio hostel for the 2014 World Cup. Was crook for a week and in the end everyone was fed up with me (including me!) The hostel owner advised ginger, some Mexican lass demanded I put some chilli in it, French guy suggested some honey and I think someone else squeezed in some lime. Next morning I'd gone from crook as a dog to absolutely 100%. Could not believe it.

I'm sure all that's good but over a decade of refinement I've found the chilli and lime don't tend to add so much.

Honey and ginger in a glass of hot water. And go hard, put plenty in. I use the powered ginger from the supermarket but I'm sure the natural stuff is no worse. Twice a day I find is good.

Works well to make you feel better no matter what stage of a cold you take it, but I've found VERY effective at killing it off completely at the very first hint of feeling a bit average.

Way cheaper and more effective than anything from the chemist. Highly recommend.

Came across this remedy whilst in a Rio hostel for the 2014 World Cup. Was crook for a week and in the end everyone was fed up with me (including me!) The hostel owner advised ginger, some Mexican lass demanded I put some chilli in it, French guy suggested some honey and I think someone else squeezed in some lime. Next morning I'd gone from crook as a dog to absolutely 100%. Could not believe it.

I'm sure all that's good but over a decade of refinement I've found the chilli and lime don't tend to add so much.
Where do you think Rayner's at Grasshopper. ? He coughed it up a few times on Sunday when not under real pressure.

Some days he just doesn't go hard enough. My observation is that he's not vey skillful as well.

It's hard to reconcile the Melbourne game with everything else. With our injuries this year at his age he should be stepping up.

Where do you think Rayner's at Grasshopper. ? He coughed it up a few times on Sunday when not under real pressure.

Some days he just doesn't go hard enough. My observation is that he's not vey skillful as well.

It's hard to reconcile the Melbourne game with everything else. With our injuries this year at his age he should be stepping up.
He's underwhelming more often than not. I don't really focus on individuals when I go to games but he seems to have very little impact on games far more often than others. He's hard to tackle and I wonder if we should do more to leverage that. Our 3rd best clearance player on Sunday night but only 2 centre bounces. On a night where I'm sure our midfielders were screaming out for a spell. Odd.

Great opportunity for him coming up for the next few months with our injury toll.

What do you think?

He's underwhelming more often than not. I don't really focus on individuals when I go to games but he seems to have very little impact on games far more often than others. He's hard to tackle and I wonder if we should do more to leverage that. Our 3rd best clearance player on Sunday night but only 2 centre bounces. On a night where I'm sure our midfielders were screaming out for a spell. Odd.

Great opportunity for him coming up for the next few months with our injury toll.

What do you think?
I think he only goes for broke when he seems to feel like it . He's a tank that should be very difficult to stop once he gets hold of it but his finishing can be sloppy and he struggles to pick it up /with the bounce of the ball etc which means at his age it's a skill deficit that he may never get any better at. He also drops a lot of marks which falls in to the same category of skill issue.

The reason I ask was that it was inconceivable that we didn't throw him into the M/F on Sunday when guys like Clug and Neale were just about out on their feet and he was as fresh as a daisy. Which makes me think the coaches don't really trust him in that role despite tearing it up against Melbourne for a quarter.

I don't know what the key to him is but he just seems like a wasted talent propped in the forward pocket generally doing not a lot when we've seen he does have the capacity to barge out of stoppages etc. I reckon the time's come to throw him in there and tell him to throw his weight around. We've treated him with kid gloves ever since he arrived. Maybe it's a fitness issue as well.

I thought Cam really struggled with ground balls the other night to the point that I was speculating whether he had some sort of back issue.
He always has had trouble with ground balls imo.
Sometimes I think he attacks the ball too hard and thinking of what he is going to do with it before he has got it.
And then leaves it behind.
It is something he has always struggles with.

Sometimes I think he attacks the ball too hard and thinking of what he is going to do with it before he has got it.
I've been thinking for 5 years once he gets the hang of it and concentrates harder on just getting hold of it, with his strength he could potentially tear up games.

But he hasn't gotten any better overall. He certainly looks fitter to my eye than he ever has and managed to dominate a quarter against good opposition and it's frustrating to see him revert to what he's mostly been in most of the games.

I was talking difficulty bending over more so than picking up the agate.

I've been thinking for 5 years once he gets the hang of it and concentrates harder on just getting hold of it, with his strength he could potentially tear up games.

But he hasn't gotten any better overall. He certainly looks fitter to my eye than he ever has and managed to dominate a quarter against good opposition and it's frustrating to see him revert to what he's mostly been in most of the games.
I agree. Tell Rayner. he is playing in the midfield and if he isn’t successful there, he will be dropped. Simple. He was really ordinary against Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back