Past player - Adam Hunter (2000-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Hunter

181203.jpg

DOB: 18/6/1981

Height: 190 cm

Weight: 92 kg

Playing number: 39

Arrived: Drafted at pick 29 in the 1999 national draft, from Swan Districts.

Debut: Round 22, 2000 vs Melbourne – 129th Eagles player

Games: 151

Goals: 86

Won: Premiership medal in 2006

Departed: Retired at the end of the 2009 season.

Originally from South Bunbury, Adam Hunter was picked up in the 1999 draft along with some other promising local key position products in Darren Glass and Travis Gaspar.

Given a debut in the final round of the 2000 season, Hunter was then in and out of the side in 2001, playing nine games for the year. He became more of a full-time member of the senior team in 2002, playing 17 games for the year. His best game came in a midseason win against Adelaide when he picked up 24 possessions and a goal.

In 2003, Hunter played 20 games for the year. His 2004 was interrupted by injury, with a late start to the year and then a hamstring problem midseason, but he still managed to play 16 games.

It was in 2005 that Hunter really stamped himself on the team. With Jakovich and McIntosh retired, Hunter began to take responsibility for a key forward on a regular basis, despite often being undersized. He also began to cement his reputation as a dangerous swingman, often being thrown forward where his ability to take a contested mark proved invaluable. Hunter kicked 14 goals for the year, including five goals during the finals. He provided one of the highlights of the season when he took a huge pack mark and then converted to put the Eagles in front of Sydney late in the qualifying final, and then kicked two important second-half goals in the grand final. He was rewarded with his first top-10 finish in the Club Champion award, but sadly not a premiership medal.

Hunter’s contribution only increased in 2006, with that rat-tailed defender swinging forward even more often and responding with 29 goals, including a couple of bags of four during the regular season and then back-to-back four goal hauls in the semi-final and preliminary final. He only managed one goal during the grand final but it was a critical one, receiving the handpass and then shepherd from Daniel Chick to put the Eagles up by 7 late in the match.

Hunter was a rock in 2007, playing every game and finishing second in the best and fairest behind another rock in Glass. He unfortunately missed a couple of large chunks of 2008, with a knee injury and then a shoulder injury limiting him to just 11 games as the team plunged out of finals contention early.

That shoulder injury ended up bringing a premature end to Hunter’s career, the fan favourite managing just eight games in 2009 and announcing his retirement at the end of the year.

Hunter returned to his junior club, South Bunbury, for the 2010 season. He signed for Swan Districts in 2011 but could manage just seven league games.

Huntaaaaaa!!!! Love him!!! :hearts:

Your xenxen likes this part of the signature confused me haha.

Last edited:

Get around him.

Wow 29 goals for a defender in 2006 is pretty damn impressive.

I liked him because he had a set of grapefruits on him. Not afraid to ruffle somebody up.

The sad point of his career was the few seconds directly after Barry Hall knocked out Brent Staker....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does that even work, becoming an eagles supporter?

I tried supporting another team when eagles were toilet from 2008 to 2011 an I just couldn't.
When i first got into footy in the mid 2000s i supported a lot of teams initially, including Sydney, so i guess that's where the hate for Hunter comes from.

you cant support a lot of teams, can you?

re: the Barry Hall incident.. I still think Hunter went down with a bit of theatrics more than being put on his hole. I could be wrong but its rare.

I here plenty of stories saying that he was a s**t kent... is it warranted?

Can't remember any news stories about Hunter being a bad bloke.
According to my local rag he was all set to sign with North Albany Footy Club up until his last drug bust a few months back. That was the end of that.
I bumped into him at burswood one night and at that point in time he was one of my favourite players so was stoked to exchange a few words with him. I left thinking he was the most arrogant prick I'd ever come across.

Always stood up exactly when we needed him to (especially in finals). Took some absolutely ripping marks and was a dead eye dick in front of goal. Wished he played more games with us but I will always regard him as a club legend.

According to my local rag he was all set to sign with North Albany Footy Club up until his last drug bust a few months back. That was the end of that.
I bumped into him at burswood one night and at that point in time he was one of my favourite players so was stoked to exchange a few words with him. I left thinking he was the most arrogant prick I'd ever come across.
Sad story.
Is now a totally lost soul.
Spent a season in Kalgoorlie.
Didn't do himself any favors with his general behavior.
Met him again in Derby over a few beers a couple of times.
Makes a complete mess of himself and didn't win ay friends there.
Was actually on his way to Geraldton when he was picked up for drugs.
Had planned to play a Footy season there.
Nice bloke when sober,which isn't often.
Sad end for a very talented footballer.

Under rated football talent. Was undersized for a key defender but held his own against some big forwards and was a good rebounder off halfback. Very capable forward who was an accurate set shot normally and his ability to take a contested pack mark was invaluable in an often crowded forward line (especially against the swans)

Shame that injury cut short his career and the fact he was incapacitated through 2008 and 2009 is overlooked as one of the reasons why we fell off a cliff after 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back