Delisted #13: Anthony Long - Delisted without having played senior football

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 13. Anthony Long

A worry that he is having so many problems with injuries already... if he doesnt get back on the field in 2011 I would be tempted to delist him and pick him up in the rookie draft to give him more time to get fit. Is a bit of a list clogger at the moment... will need room especially with Crameri playing so well.

I am going to go out onto the unpopular limb and say he wont make it. He has skills and ability but i just don't see his body size allowing him to go too far.

I am going to go out onto the unpopular limb and say he wont make it. He has skills and ability but i just don't see his body size allowing him to go too far.

Would be a real shame if that turns out to be the case. Everyone at the club seems to really rate him abilities but I too share this concern. Even before we drafted him there were injury clouds hanging over him.

Hopefully he gets a run at it soon enough.

Essendon site has him listed as 187cm and 81kg. How does he stack up amongst the likes of

Winders 188cm 82kg, Dempsey 185cm 80kg, Melksham 185cm 78kg, Heppell 189cm 81kg, Prismall 186cm 83kg, Michael Long (not currently, of course;))...

when its said wrong body shape, is he just wafer thin on top or chicken arms or something? Or was the 81kg his weight entering the club and he's lost some fat and not gained any muscle?

Essendon site has him listed as 187cm and 81kg. How does he stack up amongst the likes of

Winders 188cm 82kg, Dempsey 185cm 80kg, Melksham 185cm 78kg, Heppell 189cm 81kg, Prismall 186cm 83kg, Michael Long (not currently, of course;))...

when its said wrong body shape, is he just wafer thin on top or chicken arms or something? Or was the 81kg his weight entering the club and he's lost some fat and not gained any muscle?

Would be a generous 81kg from what i have seen of him.
Leaving Heppell out as he is first year and i think he will easily get to the 86kg to 88kg mark the weight of the others is an issue to me.

Dempsey is injury prone, Winderlich is injury prone and Prismall is questionable strength wise and i will add Welsh to the list.

Yes there are spots for quick 186cm 82kg players but how many ?
If you look at sides who have won all the recent flags they have done it off the back of solid 85kg plus mids who are powerful mixed in with a few quuick finishers but not many.
It is almost at the stage that if you can not hit 85kg your input is limited unless you have some serious x factor.

Would be a generous 81kg from what i have seen of him.
Leaving Heppell out as he is first year and i think he will easily get to the 86kg to 88kg mark the weight of the others is an issue to me.

Dempsey is injury prone, Winderlich is injury prone and Prismall is questionable strength wise and i will add Welsh to the list.

Yes there are spots for quick 186cm 82kg players but how many ?
If you look at sides who have won all the recent flags they have done it off the back of solid 85kg plus mids who are powerful mixed in with a few quuick finishers but not many.
It is almost at the stage that if you can not hit 85kg your input is limited unless you have some serious x factor.

I'm sure he'll hit 85kg at some stage. See Uncle Michael for reference.

Reminds a lot of a young Dempsey who we all thought wouldnt make it coz of his hamstrings as well... lets hope Longy can get back on the park soon and prove us wrong.

If he stays injured all year i still think we should delist him then rookie him.

Does anyone have a more recent word on his progress??
Can't wait to see dempsey and long running off the flanks, if he's injury free could we see him play some nab cup for us?

Out of contract... interesting to see if the club keeps him on or not considering his horrible injuries so far... we can't carry all these injured players year in and year out anymore...

Maybe Geelong will let us trade Anthony for Michael Long's other nephew Allen Christensen who was still available when we picked up Anthony if we claim that we accidently picked the wrong one in the first place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the wrap on this guy havent seen much of him could he be a real talent?

We picked him instead of Christensen, so hopefully the club made the right call talent wise. Just needs to have some good luck with injuries and we might start getting a return on investment.

I wouldnt mind being on an AFL list for a few years and doing absolutely nothing.

Yeah, I mean what a dud. We should have played him regardless that his hamstrings were barely hanging on. Maybe he could have got a handball and he would have done 'something'.:rolleyes:

Very harsh on the kid:thumbsdown:

Essendon can afford to give him another two year contract, if he still struggles well it wasnt meant to be. Let the 'weapon' build the boy up and get consecutive games at Bendigo, he might surpise.

Yeah, I mean what a dud. We should have played him regardless that his hamstrings were barely hanging on. Maybe he could have got a handball and he would have done 'something'.:rolleyes:

Very harsh on the kid:thumbsdown:

Essendon can afford to give him another two year contract, if he still struggles well it wasnt meant to be. Let the 'weapon' build the boy up and get consecutive games at Bendigo, he might surpise.
Agreed. Build his confidence before letting him and Hibberd release Dempsey and Heppell on our wings :thumbsu:

Yeah great to hear that Long has started running and training with the boys already, lets hope this is just the start of a great pre-season for him.

Id say he will get a new 2 year deal...

We picked him instead of Christensen, so hopefully the club made the right call talent wise. Just needs to have some good luck with injuries and we might start getting a return on investment.

Pretty sure they did not make the right choice but who knows as Long can play if he gets his body right. not much we can do about it now.

I have to settle for enjoying Bundy play well and thinking about a few people who questioned my mental state when i said i would take him with a top 10 pick :D

Was Long's hammies a problem prior to recruitment?

Not sure if it was all hammy injures but he did miss a lot of TAC Cup footy and i do know there was one stint on the side lines for a hammy strain. He did have some injury issues.

I'd say we recruited him because he showed the sort of brilliance that is always worth taking a punt on especially at # 33. That he is a "Long" would be the reason the club would look at him (but that is as far as it would go). Is that any different to a father-son?

From what I understand Long was a late bloomer (and hardly played junior rep footy) who we viewed as having a huge upside. The only thing we learnt from Cyril (and Judd, Selwood with Heppell also being a good example) is that junior injuries are something that players can overcome if managed correctly.

I have to admit having a soft spot for Long because of who he is and because he is exactly what we need going into next year. We need the class and dash to add to the mix of players who we can use off half back. He isn't even an afterthough for the early stages of next year but with McVeigh's career coming to an end, a spot in the backline will open up around 2013 (Hardingham + Hibberd will play negating roles with Long being given more freedom like a Heppell/Dempsey).

lets hope the weapon can do to Longy as he did for Varcoe. Varcoe had a serious leg injury before being recruited by Geelong and is now an important cog in the Cats forward line, took a few years before he became the player he did and copped a fair amount of criticism.

Have a feeling that if we want a pick in the PSD that Longy will be delisted and hopfully picked up as a rookie for next year. Would take the pressure off him to get his body right as well as giving us a spot on the senior list for someone who is ready to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back