Delisted #13: Anthony Long - Delisted without having played senior football

Remove this Banner Ad

Eerie - This was a flashback to watching Long play for Bendigo VS Box Hill Hawks in June 2010.

Both games featured two bad turnovers early on that lead to goals - And the he disappeared.

History repeats.

reminded me of gumby's first match back after not playing for about 2 years. when you've been out of the game at any level for so long it wouldn't be easy.
Yep.
All we found out was a bloke who hasn't touched the footy in anger in 3 years, is rusty.
Keen to see him again. Him, Jetta and Dempsey = UBER PACE off the backline.

I'm just glad he got through ok. Most of our players were crap today anyway.
Pretty much this.

Not worried at all. He's depth on the rookie list (let alone senior), has plenty of ability, and he's had a crack at it for the first time at AFL level.

Of course he was rusty... but I believe that kids/young men with 'it' have poise and the sense of time. NOT writing him off by a long stretch but hopefully he works on his skills and 'awareness' around the ball.

Good luck to him, but I can't fathom why we took the chance on him so early in that draft. He was no guarantee to go in the ND. We then make a similar mistake the year after.

I doubt it, only way is if we become a top team in the comp and are that much better than the bottom teams, that we can gift games to kids like Collingwood an Geelong have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His body doesnt seem to allow him to string games togethor which is a shame because apparantly the kid can play a little bit....He may have only played 15 - 20 Bendigo games I reckon

Reckon he'd genuinely be lucky to have played double figure games for Bendigo.

And no, no he won't play for Essendon. Nothing wrong with that, you can't be right with every pick, body didn't help his cause but it just hasn't worked out. Was fortunate to get re-rookied but it was going to take something impressive this season to be maintained, and unless that comes in the last 8-9 weeks I think it's the end of Long.

I just stumbled across his wikipedia page... amusing reading that has survived since late Feb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Long
Anthony Long (born 6 January 1991) is an Australian rules footballer / up and coming male model. for the Essendon Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). Long attended Melbourne grammar with close mate budda bean and soon became a hit in the boarding house shower cubicles with his flexibility on show for all to see. Long attended Melbourne uni where he was completing a arts degree whilst playing at the cannons. Long was selected by Essendon with the thirty-third pick in the 2009 AFL Draft. He was recruited from Calder Cannons after moving to Melbourne from Darwin where he played for St Marys in the NTFL. Nephew of Essendon great Michael Long, Anthony grew up supporting the club and even had a stint as the head cheergirl in the cheersquard previous to being drafter. long was very happy to be drafted by them after nominating for the draft instead of signing with the Gold Coast which he was able to do thanks to his Northern Territory background. Long has 4 kids that he is aware of 1 in yuendemu, one in dariwin and two in mouldon. Longs nickname is "cuddles" from his affectionate calm nature and is always offering cuddles to whoever seems fit. post football long is enjoying volunteer work and working with communities. long is currently completing a beauticians course and is a part time golfer with the hope to go pro in years to come, currently holding a 39 handicap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Back