DOB: 1985-03-07

Jumper # 15

Recruited From: Central District
Dual Central District Premiership Player

AFL Matches: 20
SANFL Matches: 35

NAB AFL Rising Star nominee 2006
No. 30 selection 2003 NAB AFL Draft from Central District

The boy from Gawler has seen the light and left Port Adelaide for the Crows.

Played his first AFL game with Port in 2004, primarily as a half bank flanker.

Brad's 2006 season was limited due to a groin problem but not he managed over 20 touches in his first five games in 2006, which lead to a NAB Rising Star nomination. Against St Kilda in Round 16, 2006 he finished with 33 disposals and 17 marks.

Brad has played as a midfielder for Central Districts and played in the 2005 and 2007 CDFC Premiership sides.

from the Advertiser 20 November 2007:

Symes a happy Crow
ANDREW CAPEL

BRAD Symes has got more than he bargained for at new club Adelaide - and he couldn't be happier.

Pursuing a move from Port Adelaide to the team he grew up barracking for to salvage his AFL career, defender Symes has been told a coveted midfield spot is his - if he is good enough to take it.

"I grew up playing in the midfield and that's where I'd like to be," Symes said after a gruelling, two-hour first training session with the Crows yesterday.

"The last few years at Port I spent down back but I've enjoyed my time in the midfield at Central (District) and hopefully I can get in there at Adelaide. Neil (Craig) has encouraged me to work hard on my fitness and skills and said if I do the right things I can hopefully grab a spot there."

After cutting his teeth in the AFL as a rebounding half-back flanker but hitting a roadblock this year by playing just seven games for Port in its wild ride to the grand final, Symes decided enough was enough and perhaps he didn't fit into coach Mark Williams' plans.

With former team-mates and admirers such as 2002 Brownlow Medal runner-up Josh Francou telling him to bite the bullet and seek opportunities elsewhere, Symes made the controversial switch to Port's bitter hometown rival (for draft pick 28).

The move was not taken lightly and puts Symes under the spotlight but he has greater aspirations than just being a bit-part player.

"Now I've made the move, there's a bit more pressure and scrutiny on me but if that makes me work harder and receive the benefits then I'm happy with that," the skilful 22-year-old, who played just 20 games in four years for the Power, said. "I enjoyed my time at Port and have got no hard feelings towards them but I just felt there was probably more opportunities at Adelaide. And I want to play AFL football."

The Crows, who have undergone a major list transformation this off-season with key players quitting or given their marching orders, are in makeover mode and like what Symes brings to the table.

"We think he is a hard-running defender or midfielder with huge upside," Craig said of Symes, who has traded in his No. 23 Power jumper for No. 15 at Adelaide.

Symes, who played a key role in Central winning its sixth SANFL premiership in the past eight years, said his move was made more complicated by his selection in the Power's grand final side.

"But I had a long hard think about it and still thought this was the best way to go," he said.

Symes said regular talks with Williams never gave him a specific reason why he couldn't crack it for a spot.

"It just appeared to come down to the fact that Port was winning and we didn't have any injuries, so it was a hard team to crack into," he said. "But it was frustrating because I thought I was playing some good footy at Central."

Williams is understood to have concerns about Symes' hardness and defensive skills, preferring the more rugged Matt Thomas and Nick Lower.

Describing his first training run with the Crows as "a bit of a wake-up call", Symes finished in the top 10 in the 3km time trial.

"Obviously I enjoyed my time at Port but being a Crows fan for 10 or 12 years it's pretty special to meet and train alongside some of the guys I grew up admiring and I look forward to spending more time with them," he said.

Jerome nominated to be Brad's watcher.

Re: #10 - Brad Symes

Brad will be on Channel 9 sport with Bickley in just over an hour.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,23247498-5014664,00.html

It's time for Symes
ZAC MILBANK | February 21, 2008 01:00am

BRAD Symes can sense that four seasons of frustration will become a distant memory as he continues on his way to unearthing his true potential in 2008.

After giving Adelaide supporters a glimpse of what to expect with an encouraging midfield display against Collingwood in Dubai, Symes is itching to find himself as an AFL player.

Previously on the outer at Port Adelaide, and pigeon holed as a defender when he was selected, the 22-year-old is now being unleashed with the freedom he's craved since being drafted in 2003.

"I think that role suits my game a bit more," Symes, who played 20 AFL games for the Power, said.

"I did like playing in the backline at Port but, in terms of taking the next step, the opportunity to run through the midfield is always going to help my game.

"If I keep working at all those little things then you will see the best of me on the wing and in the middle."

Last year's roughie for the Magarey Medal has made no secret of the reason he made the difficult decision to join Port Adelaide's arch-enemy.

And he is relishing the chance to prove himself - this time to all concerned at West Lakes - all over again.

"(Neil) Craigy's been pretty good to me - I speak to him a fair bit," Symes said.

"He left it up to me to come to the club with a clean slate and obviously when you come to a different place they don't know as much about you, so the things you do in the first few months are pretty important. He just told me to work as hard as I can to make sure I get the respect of the playing group and the coaching staff and hopefully I've done that so far.

"He also said at the time he would be looking to play me more through the midfield which is one of the reasons I did come across because I thought I would get a bit more opportunity.

"I spent almost a whole year at Central last year and probably played my best footy on the ball there, so to be able to transfer that over (to the AFL) this year is what I'm looking to do."

I hate to admit it but those slow, floating kicks from Symes against Freo that seem to lack much penetration didn't really impress me much.

What did impress was that he was hard at it, in and under and at the bottom of a lot of packs. I was impressed.

What did impress was that he was hard at it, in and under and at the bottom of a lot of packs. I was impressed.

This is good to hear, because this is one area where we have lacked in previous years, a couple of real in and under type rovers to win the clearances, we've got plenty of outside recievers with good skills, so as long as he spends plenty of time under the packs I don't mind.

He was used sparingly yesterday though. Is he going to be a starting 18 player each week? Or will plug gaps here and there?
I dont think he will play all 22 rounds.. but I was impressed with him at some points.
If this is for DT i would go with someone else like Mattner who will prob play all 22 matches.

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=56495

CROWS recruit Brad Symes is on track to achieve his pre-season goal of playing in round one, but he knows it’ll take more than one game to repay the faith Adelaide has showed in getting him to West Lakes.Symes played just 20 games in four years with former club Port Adelaide and at the end of last season he was lured across the road to Adelaide with the promise of greater opportunity.
The 23-year-old, who was used mainly in defence by Port Adelaide, relished his role in the Crows’ midfield during the NAB Cup and with the injury to young gun Chris Knights, Symes looks to be a certain starter on Sunday.
“Obviously, the team hasn’t been chosen yet and it's still up to Craigy (coach Neil Craig) and the match committee,” Symes said.
“But I haven’t played a round one game in the four years I’ve been in the system and it was a goal of mine at the start of the pre-season.
“I probably sit among the playing group in a better position than I did this time last year at Port, but I’ve still got a lot of work to do and points to prove both to the coaching staff and to my teammates.”
The prolific ball winner played seven games with the Power last year, including a last-minute call up in the Grand Final, and despite polling enough votes to finish top-five in the SANFL’s Magarey Medal count, Symes could not cement a place in Port Adelaide’s team.
He was traded to Adelaide as part of an indirect deal which saw former Crows' running half-back Marty Mattner go to the Swans, and he immediately put pen to paper on some new goals at his new club.
“It’s been good to have a fresh start at the Crows and to create my own perception,” Symes said.
“I had a clean slate to start with and probably tried to come in and have a bit of presence around the club both on and off the field.
“Something I’ve been looking to do is to take charge and have a real impact at training and hopefully then that leads on to the game.
“I also tried to make sure I took each day as it came and tried to have a lot more fun with my footy.
“It's not like there was anything wrong at Port, but I think with Adelaide’s game plan and the way I play, I’m probably, maybe, slightly better suited here.”
Symes is one of three players who could make their Crows debut against the Western Bulldogs at the Telstra Dome on Sunday.
Tall forward Kurt Tippett is in the mix as is his housemate and fellow second-year player David Mackay.
Tippett starred with four goals in the NAB Cup Grand Final loss to St Kilda and is likely to get the nod with Adelaide’s other tall contender, Brad Moran, undergoing surgery on his broken finger last night.
SymesBrad_246.jpg

from the AFC website this morning:-

'Crows midfielder Brad Symes will have a knee clean-out today.
Symes has battled knee soreness in recent weeks and the arthoscopy will keep him off the main training track until late January.
"He has just got a little bit of material in te knee which needs cleaning out," said caretaker football operations manager John Reid.
Senior coach Neil Craig told supporters at Tuesday night's members information night that Ben Ritten (knee) and Nathan Bock (heel) would start running before Christmas. Nathan van Berlo (back) will be held back until after the break.'

Another disappointment, :thumbsdown: because it means another Crow will have a restricted preseason. I wish him a speedy recovery, but feel that my hopes for 2010 are slipping slightly. Or maybe I got out of the wrong side today ;) and things aren't sooo bad!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is now in the Leadership group :D No one understands how excited/proud I am! hahaha

I thought when Brad came to the crows he was extremely good off the half back giving us drive. Since then however, to me he has only been servicable since his injuries and never regained that really good form. If he can recapture that form he would be in the 22 for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back