Past player - Damian Hampson (1992-1994)

Remove this Banner Ad

Damian Hampson

9448343958_66f9c3863b_o.jpg

DOB: 27/3/1970

Height: 180cm

Weight: 79 kg

Playing number: 40

Arrived: Drafted at pick 13 in the 1992 mid-season draft, from Carlton

Debut: Round 11, 1993 vs Sydney – 81st Eagles player

Games: 6

Goals: 1

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 1994 season.

The son of former Subiaco captain Reg Hampson, Damian was an elite tennis player as a junior before devoting himself to football relatively late. He won Subiaco’s best and fairest in 1990 and was promptly drafted by Carlton with a top-ten pick.

Hampson lasted a little over a season at Carlton and was unable to manage a senior game before being delisted in the middle of the 1992 season. West Coast then made him the first (and only) mid-season draft selection in the club’s history.

The hard-working midfielder made his debut almost a year later, against the Swans at the SCG. Hampson acquitted himself well and held his spot for the following three games. He managed just two more games the following year, having little impact in big late-season wins over Richmond and Fitzroy, and was delisted at the end of the year.

Hampson played on with the Lions for the rest of the 1990s, winning their best and fairest a second time in 1997 and captaining the side in 1998 and 1999.

Damian Hampson

9448343958_66f9c3863b_o.jpg

DOB: 27/3/1970

Height: 180cm

Weight: 79 kg

Playing number: 40

Arrived: Drafted at pick 13 in the 1992 mid-season draft, from Carlton

Debut: Round 11, 1993 vs Sydney – 81st Eagles player

Games: 6

Goals: 1

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 1994 season.

Anyone see the merit in bringing back the mid-season draft?

I believe a mid season draft has a place, or atleast the ability to sign free agents up until a certain date. Like this season we could have signed 4 midfielders since ours were all injured/playing shithouse.
the mid season draft is a better insurance policy to the rookie listed players i guess.

Always thought he was a good player, just came to the club at the wrong time from a fringe midfielders point of view.

Always thought he was a good player, just came to the club at the wrong time from a fringe midfielders point of view.

Amazing how many times I've said something like that in a write-up on a fringe player from the early 1990s. There was quite a few blokes that missed out in that period.

Amazing how many times I've said something like that in a write-up on a fringe player from the early 1990s. There was quite a few blokes that missed out in that period.

Agree, our seconds team back then must have been pretty decent (rose coloured glasses also help).

Just come to me - didn't he quite badly break his leg during 93 or 94?

He was a good WAFL player in his later years, probably would have had a longer career in this day and age as he was a talented junior.

the amount of fringe mid-fielders that wce had that i rated was just unbelievable. depth upon depth

reg hampson, damians dad, and a champion subi player passed away today. so i stumbled across this in google

the amount of fringe mid-fielders that wce had that i rated was just unbelievable. depth upon depth

reg hampson, damians dad, and a champion subi player passed away today. so i stumbled across this in google

Didn't see that news. RIP Reg.

While you're here, do you know if George Hampson (currently at Subi) is related?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back