Delisted #45: Hal Hunter - Delisted but the beard lives on

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
644418_3853917685264_935293508_n.jpg

There's really not much out there. He had a few injures as noted below which didn't help getting his name out there.

Snoop Dog:

# 85 Swans - Hal Hunter (Calder - medium back)
Highly rated by the coaching group and has played in the middle and back and represented Metro. Good decision maker who is very calm under pressure and makes good decisions coming out of the back half and then distributes really well. He is a bit unassuming and doesnt do a lot to catch the eye but you have to watch what he is not doing....and thats making mistakes. Very clean and if hadnt had some injury issues woudl be right into the calcs. Could see the Dogs being into him.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894434

And all the rest is stuff said by Humble Minion on Bblitz:

Hunter a good pick, quality player screwed by injury, dunno how many 185cm defenders we really need though.

Hal Hunter another one who spent a lot of time injured - only managed 2 games for the season. 185cm med defender, never really got into a rhythm this season, but was very good last year. Physical, intimidating, hard as nails, big leap, can lock down but knows when to run off his man to be third up at a contest. Bit of a Barnard. Didn't get much of the ball this year, but had a much better 2010 and would be worth a shot.

Hal Hunter got injured applying the smother of the year in I think the 2nd qtr. If there's any justice, it'll be on that wanky army award or whatever that Future Stars do tomorrow. Awesome work. Didn't come back on.

Hal Hunter (played bp excellently last year, good size, strong, team player, hard as a cat's head)

And then there's Dodoro.

... said the club’s fourth selection in medium defender Hal Hunter was a pleasing get for the club, despite the 18-year-old’s previous injury history.

“Hal comes to us from the Calder Cannons and at 18 years of age, he is a strong bodied mid come half back,” he said.

“He played for Vic Metro this year but unfortunately sustained a few injuries throughout the season. Our medical team suggests we can get him really right during this year so we think that Hal will be able to have a good season for us next year.”
Pick 64: Hal Hunter, Calder Cannons
DOB: 15/7/93
Height: 187cm
Weight: 84kg

Dodoro says: "Hal is a Vic Metro representative who is a really good half-back/midfielder. He probably slid down the draft order because he had hamstring problems last season, but we put him through a medical test recently and are confident he can put those problems behind him. He is a strong contested player who puts his head over the ball."

Re: Hal Hunter

Hal Hunter - has had a few injuries and as such flown of the radar this year. Solidly built defender/midfielder with good enough skills and makes good decisions under pressure. Played for Metro despite not having much lead in Via the TAC and is player the Cannons rate highly. Tends to like playing hard and tight and is pretty sharp by hand.
The hammy injuries have been the issue and that is where the risk is.

For reference i had posted all of my opinions in the Dodoro thread ;)

Ant555

Is it true that he only played 2 TAC games in 2011 before being selected for the VIC under 18's.

If so he must be highly rated.

Not true.

One TAC game before the champs, three champs games, one TAC game after the champs.

But VM squad selection is generally pretty well advanced even once the TAC season starts, based on the previous year's performances. Though bolters can still be added to the squad quite late of course.

Not true.

One TAC game before the champs, three champs games, one TAC game after the champs.

But VM squad selection is generally pretty well advanced even once the TAC season starts, based on the previous year's performances. Though bolters can still be added to the squad quite late of course.

Thanks.

Only one TAC Game before the championship - Think he is definitely highly regarded - And he would have been lacking match fitness.

Hunter also played in the school APS season in 2010 for Wesley College when they won the cup and also this year as vice captain. Hard, clever and determined is what I hear and highly regarded by calder where he was in the leadership group. Understated and unselfish. Hope his injuries are behind him and he shows what he can do.

Thanks.

Only one TAC Game before the championship - Think he is definitely highly regarded - And he would have been lacking match fitness.

Had played a bit of private school footy as well.

Hope he isn't another one where injuries get in the way of a promising career.... still it's a rookie list spot so there is no pressure on him in 2012, just needs to get out there and have some game time for Bendigo.

If Ess don't have many injuries, Bendigo really needs a reserve side as we won't be able to fit everyone in.

I've seen Hal play since he was about 14 - all he's ever wanted to do is play AFL. Determined, dedicated, and yep, he's had injury troubles for years because he is just fearless and puts his body in where it shouldn't. He's the sort of kid who used to study what AFL players ate at eat only that. Trained extra sessions. Kept fit all year round. Completely focussed on being an AFL player.

He played alongside my cousin for years, they played together in the Fitzroy Reds Under 15s Grand Final win just over three years ago. Dylan Buckley (FS Carlton) was on the half back flank, Hal in the middle for Fitzroy that particular day. They played against Jack Viney and Tommy Mitchell - and flogged them.

I hope he gets a go, good guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen Hal play since he was about 14 - all he's ever wanted to do is play AFL. Determined, dedicated, and yep, he's had injury troubles for years because he is just fearless and puts his body in where it shouldn't. He's the sort of kid who used to study what AFL players ate at eat only that. Trained extra sessions. Kept fit all year round. Completely focussed on being an AFL player.

He played alongside my cousin for years, they played together in the Fitzroy Reds Under 15s Grand Final win just over three years ago. Dylan Buckley (FS Carlton) was on the half back flank, Hal in the middle for Fitzroy that particular day. They played against Jack Viney and Tommy Mitchell - and flogged them.

I hope he gets a go, good guy.

Thanks for that. Hope he makes it :thumbsu:

I find it kinda interesting that they did a promo photo of him for posters and whatnot, beyond the standard portrait. Perhaps they were dazzled by the beard. Perhaps there are grand plans for him. Typically rookies don't have promo photos done.

Quite a few of them did, I think. I remember Del'LOLio didn't.

Maybe. The gallery isn't working on aflphotos.com.au for some reason. There were some senior players missing though, like Ross.

Re: #45: Hal Hunter - Best beard in the AFL

Portraits are up on the Ess site, though. Looks like they botched the photoshopping of THE BEARD, though. Either that or it's grown in an extremely odd way.

To illustrate:

HUNTER%20Hal%20246a.jpg

What's going on there?

Well, that's his official AFL portrait anyway. Oddly, only Fox Sports seem to use them.

I want it to reach Brian Blessed proportions.

brian_blessed_001_110906.jpg

Hopefully he grooms it to match the botched cropping in the photo (i'm assuming it's botched cropping, if not WTF!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back