TigerAntho

Senior List
Oct 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hull City
Does he have a future beyond 2009? And if so waht must he do to warrant it?

Will he be a one hit wonder (that brisbane game a few years ago)? Or can he become a key backman/forward? The way I see it, he is sticking around only until we get some more height - thats about it.

Although that snap shot on the run in a game towards the end of the year was awesome! Asign of the future Sarge!???

Re: 2009 Expectations: Jay Schulz

hopefully he stays in one position for atleast 75% of the game. just get him settled in and not keep changing him forward and back. he really has to work next year because he will get overtaken by other talls. i hope he can fit in the forward line with hughes and riewoldt.

With the injury to Polak, I think Schulz will stick around. He is versatile and probably our only KP who can play either end. If we need him down back or up forward he is an option.

2009 will be a big year for him, he needs to play close to 22 matches to confirm his spot in our best 22.

I expect 2009 to be a lot like his 2008 (position wise). He will be put where ever we need him most. I have a gut feeling we will use him more as a forward, working with Jack Riewoldt. Unless Hughes can push into the 22.

2009 Expectations: Mark Coughlan

Expectations on him should be fairly low. All I want to see from Mark in 2009, is first, an injury free pre-season.

If he gets that, I'd love to see him line-up in the NAB Cup and Round 1 and gradually work his way into form and into our 22, becoming an important part of our side.

It will be intertesting to see how he goes in 2009, if he struggles to get into the 22 or gets another injury, it will be all over IMO. :(

Re: 2009 Expectations: Mark Coughlan

yep its all about the pre season and how he tunes himself? would love to see him get through the summer and hit the NAB cup.

really dont expect nything of him, any games are a bonus for mine

Question is will Sante start a 2009 Expectations thread for every player.....

If he doesn't play 12 games or so then it's lights out. If he gets through the season without a hammy injury or a knee flare up then he could be that hard tackling, inside mid we seem to need.
So if Cogs makes it then Adam Thomson gets delayed a year, if he gets injured then its Adam Thomson's year and bye bye cogs.

Question is will Sante start a 2009 Expectations thread for every player.....

If he doesn't play 12 games or so then it's lights out. If he gets through the season without a hammy injury or a knee flare up then he could be that hard tackling, inside mid we seem to need.
So if Cogs makes it then Adam Thomson gets delayed a year, if he gets injured then its Adam Thomson's year and bye bye cogs.

I can't. Someone made one for Schulz. :mad:;)

I thought it was a good idea. Something to talk about during the off-season. Then, we can bump these at the end of '09. I think we need one for Thommo, though. I'll let you do that one Tucker...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To exaggerate, with all he's got going for him, it's hard to see why he isn't the best player in the comp. He's a great field kick, hard, tough, tall, strong, can certainly win the pill. Put it together Sarge!

My expectations for Cogs is a slow build up through pre season. Depending on fitness and form he might start round 1 against the Blues or it might be a few games a Coburg. As mentioned already though if he can't get at least 50% of the season at AFL level then I'm afraid it could well be Cogs delisting that people are protesting about this time next year.

Cogs will never be delisted.

If he's unable to return to the top level next year, I suspect he'll retire, and make the decision for the club himself.

I expect he will break down.

In 2006 after his first full pre-season from injury he built up from 18/20 possies a game to 25 possies a game within the first 10 weeks.

I expect a similar build over the first 10 weeks then sustained excellence through to the finals :cool:

Seriously - high hopes for Cogs in 2009, he had a better start to his career than Deledio FFS he's a superstar.

I expect nothing, sadly. But I sincerely hope he can get back into the side for at least a couple of games.

My biggest (fanciful) wish for any facet of the Richmond football club if for Mark Coughlan to be our 2011 premiership captain.

I'm all for being positive, but seriously, Schulz is a hack.

This was the first year Schulz was allowed to play most games and his stats doubled. If he is allowed to settle in one spot he will improve further.
I think he is our best bet as a key forward.
Fevola did nothing for 4 years before kicking 60 odd in his fifth year. That was with his club leaving him in the one roll the whole time. Im not saying that Schulz will kick 100 but it shows that key forwards can take time to come on. They cant all be Buddy Franklin. We finally have a decent midfield that might give good service to our forwards too.

Schulz has shown he can fill a hole down back if needed. He can take a grab and given time to settle and the confidence that will bring, I think he can be a damaging forward. Far from a hack.

50 odd goals in 70 odd games. 6 goals in 4 games at Coburg. He's no forward. His stats were inflated, as previously said, by playing the loose man in defence. Wonderful.

He's a barely passable defender. As a forward, he has minimal impact. People complain he hasn't been allowed to settle in a specific position. You know why? Because he fails at them, so they move him somewhere else. He's a swingman who can't swing anything.

I had hopes he'd take over CHB this year. Good speed, a good mark...just had to learn how to defend. But no, just like the rest of his career, he was a let down.

Only reason he is still on the list, surely, must be the injury to Polak. Otherwise, its inconceivable he hasn't been traded to a SA side. He's not a dud...but he's pretty damn close. Sure, he's not 24 yet. But he's been here since 2003. 2009 will be his seventh season. Unless he starts farting gold or something else suitably brilliant, 2009 will be his last season at Richmond. In my opinion, 2008 should have been his last. But anyway...

if no injuries. then play in coburg and make him earn his spot dont just give him games for his name that way he will respect his spot when he actully gets it. i think he could become a good FP player he had a good mark which i hope he still has. and as he plays more games his cruming skills would come back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back