Traded Patrick Karnezis (2011-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Karnezis stars in reserves win
3 August 2013
Dean Bilton

A stellar midfield performance from Patrick Karnezis has led the Lions to a hard fought 17.17.119 to 13.8.86 win over the Sydney Swans in the NEAFL.

Karnezis had been the standout player in the first half, dominating the clearances and posing a threat up forward, and it took only a handful of third quarter minutes for the midfielder to record his fourth goal of the match.

Karnezis was the stand out performer, amassing 32 possessions to go with his four goals, and was well supported in the middle by the likes of Lester and Newell, and up front by Martin and Aaron Cornelius.

Coach Leigh Harding was full of praise for the hard running midfielder, and stressed the importance of the defensive aspects of Karnezis’ game. “The pleasing thing with Patty is that he’s had four tackles as well, so he’s putting on some defensive pressure but he’s also getting it offensively as well. It was a really pleasing game from Patty.”

Hopefully he gets a call up on the back of this game next week against the Tiges.

OK, another great reserves performance - it made me go and look exactly how he has gone this year. It is really hard to know why he isn't getting a game.

Out of 14 reserves games (I think) that he has played he has been named in the Lions best on 9 occassions = 64% of the time. He has been named best on ground twice.

Everyone knows his failings / things he needs to work on: defensive pressure / tackling; intensity / contested possessions. But really, the lack of selection in the firsts is starting to do my head in. It also means he is more than likely going to leave at the end of the season, which will be a gigantic waste of potential from the Lions perspective. It will be a big blow to our future prospects IMHO.

Here are the details of how his season has gone:

- great NAB Cup in general (I don't have any game by game stats)
- Round 1 (seniors) = 19 disposals, 0 goals
- Round 2 (seniors) = came on as the sub in the 4th, only got 1 disposal
- Round 4 in the Reserves (equivalent of R3 in seniors) = 5th best for the Lions, 2 goals
- Round 5 Reserves = 5th best for the Lions, 1 goal
- Round 6 Reserves = -
- Round 7 Reserves = 3 goals
- Round 8 Reserves = BYE
- Round 9 Reserves = Best on Ground, 2 goals
- Round 10 Reserves = -
- Round 10 Seniors = 18 disposals, 0 goals
- Round 12 Reserves = BYE
- Round 13 Reserves = 3rd best for the Lions, 2 goals
- Round 14 Reserves = 4th best for the Lions, 1 goal
- Round 15 Reserves = 3rd best for the Lions, 0 goals
- Round 16 Reserves = 2nd best for the Lions, 1 goal
- Round 17 Reserves = 1 goal
- Round 18 Reserves = 4th best for the Lions, 4 goals
- Round 19 Reserves = BYE
- Round 20 Reserves = Best on ground, 4 goals

Now I know the NEAFL best selections aren't always accurate, but despite that there is no doubt Karnezis has been very unlucky not to have played more senior games this year. Keep in mind the above details don't take into account the times Karnezis has come off at half time in the reserves to be an emergency for the seniors or any times he has actually travelled with the seniors as an emergency.

Anyway, surely he must play against Richmond. It's time.

bringbackPattyK#

I reckon he'll play the Tiges based off his form today. Always hard to tell if he's doing the right thing when he doesn't have the pill though, so ya never know.

In previous games I've noted him getting directed a lot. Didn't notice that today, but most of the game was played on the opposite wing (not a word, ressies folk) so it was a little hard to notice that sort of stuff.

I reckon he'll play the Tiges based off his form today. Always hard to tell if he's doing the right thing when he doesn't have the pill though, so ya never know.

In previous games I've noted him getting directed a lot. Didn't notice that today, but most of the game was played on the opposite wing (not a word, ressies folk) so it was a little hard to notice that sort of stuff.

I would have thought at the very least he'd be an emergency for the trip to visit mum and dad but the rest of that is very pleasing to hear.

Harding making special mention of his defensive game leads me to think that he may well have reached internal KPIs this time. At least I hope it does.

They really sound more like the words of a coach who has been trying to help a player develop to a certain stage to play senior footy, rather than a coach who knows that player is out the door at season's end.

They really sound more like the words of a coach who has been trying to help a player develop to a certain stage to play senior footy, rather than a coach who knows that player is out the door at season's end.

Sorry, but you're obviously wrong. BigFooty has said so.

I was on holidays overseas and I randomly met a bloke who was a good mate of patty from school, he said patty likes it in Brisbane and is working his ass off to make himself a better player and fit into Brisbanes midfield, all this trash about him wanting to go home is rubbish. Its a shame he's being painted a whinger, not determined to work hard enough to earn his spot and wanting to just run back home, he wouldn't have got this far without a good work ethic and I'm sure he's keen to tough it out and make himself a regular in our team

I was on holidays overseas and I randomly met a bloke who was a good mate of patty from school, he said patty likes it in Brisbane and is working his ass off to make himself a better player and fit into Brisbanes midfield, all this trash about him wanting to go home is rubbish. Its a shame he's being painted a whinger, not determined to work hard enough to earn his spot and wanting to just run back home, he wouldn't have got this far without a good work ethic and I'm sure he's keen to tough it out and make himself a regular in our team

How long ago was this?

We could definetly use his abilities - goal assists , goal sneak ability and leading abilities .
Considering we have heard big wraps about Patty in the ressies all this year , Voss must still have reasons why he 's considered not to be benefitial to this team.
Is it a case of him being picked in the mids or nothing. Lets hope he gets a decent opportunity to add something to our team next week against Richmond.

Karnezis keen to leave Lions at season's end
6 Aug 2013
Nick Bowen

PATRICK Karnezis has told the Brisbane Lions he wants to head home to Victoria at the end of this season, having failed to overcome the homesickness that has plagued him in his three years at the club.

AFL.com.au understands Karnezis, 21, recently told the Lions he had decided to leave the club when his contract expires at the end of this season.

After unsuccessfully requesting a trade to a Victorian club at the end of last season, Karnezis made a concerted effort to settle into Brisbane this year, but the lure of home has proved too strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring in the hysterics!

Can't help but smirk at the references to "homesickness", "Collingwood" and "pre-season draft". Always the player agent's favourite words when one of their interstate players is out of contract.

I don't think this ship has necessarily set sail yet.

Will give the Toss the Voss reactionaries something to hang their hats on though. Has been a bit of a dry spell for them lately.

I doubt the coaching staff will take an unsubstantiated article into consideration while picking the team.
That won't stop people putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with "too little, too late now, desperate Vossy!"

Would hope the club plays him given...

a) we are a better chance to beat the tiges with him on the field
b) he's well and truly earned it
c) if he is 100% committed to leaving a standout performance in the seniors (of which he is more than capable) will push up his trade value; and
d) if he's not 100% committed to leaving getting games could influence him to stay.

Think I'll always be dirty on the club for not playing him more in the seniors but I do have to admit they've put together a very marketable player. Mid-size creative forward with very clean hands who can take marks, kick goals, hit targets and run around on the wings. The clubs with better development staff will back themselves in to fix any defensive flaws. Should get a reasonable deal given his undoubted potential – could get an amazing deal if he plays the last 4 games and dominates.

Would hope the club plays him given...

a) we are a better chance to beat the tiges with him on the field
b) he's well and truly earned it
c) if he is 100% committed to leaving a standout performance in the seniors (of which he is more than capable) will push up his trade value; and
d) if he's not 100% committed to leaving getting games could influence him to stay.

Think I'll always be dirty on the club for not playing him more in the seniors but I do have to admit they've put together a very marketable player. Mid-size creative forward with very clean hands who can take marks, kick goals, hit targets and run around on the wings. The clubs with better development staff will back themselves in to fix any defensive flaws. Should get a reasonable deal given his undoubted potential – could get an amazing deal if he plays the last 4 games and dominates.
I'm not so convinced of A.

Are we really a better team with Pat in at this stage? Which part of the structure does he improve? I don't think that he is an improvement on either Mayes or Hanley on the wing, which seems to be his primary senior role. His inside work isn't as good as Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Black or Moloney's. His forward work is ok but his third tall role has been taken by Staker/Bewick/Ash. He's spent time at HB in the ressies, but we have plenty of those who are performing well in the seniors.

Undoubted potential, sure, but the coaches see him as a liability defensively, which is why he hasn't been selected. They have been clear about that - it is not a secret why he has missed out on selection. I do not think that the Lions would be better with Patty in the team this year. Soon, yes, but not right now. He'll be a hell of a loss if he goes given what he shows he will be able to do, though.

I'm not so convinced of A.

Are we really a better team with Pat in at this stage? Which part of the structure does he improve? I don't think that he is an improvement on either Mayes or Hanley on the wing, which seems to be his primary senior role. His inside work isn't as good as Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Black or Moloney's. His forward work is ok but his third tall role has been taken by Staker/Bewick/Ash. He's spent time at HB in the ressies, but we have plenty of those who are performing well in the seniors.

Undoubted potential, sure, but the coaches see him as a liability defensively, which is why he hasn't been selected. They have been clear about that - it is not a secret why he has missed out on selection. I do not think that the Lions would be better with Patty in the team this year. Soon, yes, but not right now. He'll be a hell of a loss if he goes given what he shows he will be able to do, though.

All good points. 3rd tall I think with browny gone. Stakers the 2nd tall and though they may take overhead grabs I wouldnt conside Ash or Bewick to be 'talls'. At the end of the day Karnezis (or the player he will become) reminds me a bit of a Lecras type. It doesnt really matter how he fits the structure - you play him because he's dangerous. He will kick and create goals. Objective number 1 for a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back