MRP / Trib. Pav's Trip (and Politcs)

Remove this Banner Ad

I work at a state government agency in IT. When I arrived last year I assessed everything I was responsible for and was astounded that our regional locations were being served by 1mb connections at best and 256kb at worst network speeds.... and the organisation had put in video conferencing and core systems these people were expected to use. Well the vidcon was appalling and basic systems like outlook were taking about 5 minutes to load for them. The document management system was unusable.

I've now got fibre running to each location, 10mb only at the moment but as prices come down I can dial it up. Suddenly these people are able to work real time with the rest of us and have desktop to desktop vidcons via the new Telstra TIPT (cloud) phones I've also put in. They can actually use the document management and actually use email even effectively.

I've been informed by their manager that for the first time they feel like part of the organisation and are working better in collaboration all across the state.. My goal is to have the most advanced technical regional government office in WA...and the most connected workers...and I'm actually saving money doing this by the way just through better contracts with suppliers.

Now you might note that it's only 10mb at the moment... but the important part is that I've future proofed the organisation. I can dial it up whenever I require simply by asking the provider to dial it up. The fibre in place can carry up to a Gig. That's the thing with the NBN too. With fibre you may not need 100mb but you can dial it up when required. With those shitty ADSL2 connections you can't.... and when the tech gets to a point where more speed is required than available the government of the day is going to have to fibre it up anyway. Economics always says do it sooner that later when its cheaper.

The other thing I'm dealing with is that our regional people haven't really realised that their world have changed. Vidcons are better and email work faster but I'm going to have to go out and speak to them to get them to change practices. They have a habit of printing and filing everything they get because our document management used to be so poor for them. I need to re-educate them that they don't need to anymore. They haven't put two and two together as yet.

The same thing will occur with the NBN...people just can't imagine what the benefits are and how it may change their lives.

Fantastic stuff Tazmania , stuff like that is close to my heart coming from the bush.

I hope you have something to do with the Health Dept, or they take notice, because relatives of mine have complained to me about the new "GP consultation over the internet/skype thing", (and whilst the idea itself has great merit with the shortage of doctors and the tyranny of distance in WA), the quality of the system delivery, (which I assume is down to connection speeds), made it practically unusuable at times.

The other thing I'm dealing with is that our regional people haven't really realised that their world have changed. Vidcons are better and email work faster but I'm going to have to go out and speak to them to get them to change practices. They have a habit of printing and filing everything they get because our document management used to be so poor for them. I need to re-educate them that they don't need to anymore. They haven't put two and two together as yet.
Rather than come out to the regions, you should probably have a word with head office first. My wife is in a regional state government office and even though they have video conferencing set up, head office will insist they attend a 15 minute meeting in Perth in person. They all have Outlook, but they only use that for emails and have separate software for collaborative sharing, another package for setting appointments and yet another for keeping tabs on who is in or out of the office. It does my head in.

How many Greens do have in your basement Danny?

For a laugh I registered with the greens and now receive emails from them. Always good for a chuckle and to know what your enemies are up to ;)This is the latest received from that halfwit Christine Milne (the are ALWAYS asking for money):

Dear Danny,

Tens of thousands of you rallied against Abbott across the nation this weekend. You rallied for the poor, the sick, the elderly and the young. You rallied for the Australians that Abbott intends to hurt with his brutal, ideological budget.

Last week marked my 25th year in politics, and in those 25 years I have never seen anything like this. I’ve never seen a government so brazenly, so cruelly and so deceitfully lie to a country about an imaginary “budget emergency” to justify their unprecedented and deeply unjust agenda.

We will take them on, and we will block Abbott’s attacks on the poor, on the sick and on the vulnerable.

I never want Australians to face a budget like this again. That’s why I’m emailing you - to ask you to chip in $20 today to make “One Term Tony” a reality.

The Abbott Government has waged war on the poor and ignored the most urgent and critical global issue of our time — climate change. He has thrown money at fighter jets, whilst sacrificing beds in our hospitals and teachers in our schools. He has made the rich untouchable, and created a budget to punish the poor.

Let’s take him on, Danny.

This budget ignores the environment and tears apart Australia’s social fabric by attacking universal health care and making higher education a luxury for the wealthy. It punishes those who are already doing it tough to prop up the profits of the nation’s richest corporations and biggest polluters. We will do all we can to stand up to this government.

Abbott Government’s popularity has plummeted in the polls as Government shows its true colours - and thousands of people are hitting the streets in protest. Let’s harness this energy and build opposition to Abbott’s cruel attacks on our students, our pensioners, our environment and our health care.

Just $20 will go a long way to fund campaigns all over the country.

This budget is brutal, and this Government is cruel. But, I want to be very clear — this is not a time for despair, this is a time for action. We saw what happened in Western Australia when we worked together; we must draw on that same energy now.

Let’s take them on together,

Christine Milne

P.S. Hundreds of people have been in touch to share how this budget will affect them and their families. We’re going to do everything we can to stand up to this budget and this government. Please, if you can, chip in $20 and let’s start campaigning today.

I'd rather see the morons who voted them in wallow in it for a while. You cannot bend over and beg to be rogered and then complain about it when it happens. Stupid Australian electorate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how those guys with big business in their pockets never have to canvas the public for donations for their campaigns.. I have no idea how they do it, but he must be a good guy because he doesn't ask me for money all the time in his campaign emails, whilst he's taking away my taxpayer funded benefits.
The single most appealing thing about Bill Shorten at this point in time is that he is opposition to the most conservative government in recent memory. There are no redeeming features with that guy. Tony's just lucky his main opposition is a spineless shambles.

I imagine you're referring to far North areas, but the need is just as great in the Wheatbelt where it is difficult to attract and retain doctors. For accurate diagnosis by an online medical practitioner, speed and bandwidth is going to be highly critical in transmitting accurate skin colour etc.

The nbn was not designed to service towns of less the 1500 people. Tazmania , I would like you to list the towns < 1500 that you connect with.

Milne is full of s**t.

You disagree that the budget is beating the s**t out of those who need help the most and that they have granted environmental approvals to projects in highly sensitive areas despite expert, peer reviewed evidence to the contrary?

Milne is no doubt a hand-wringer, but the general premise of what she said is correct.

The nbn was not designed to service towns of less the 1500 people. Tazmania , I would like you to list the towns < 1500 that you connect with.
The NBN is designed to service everyone, or as near as possible. The 1500 household limit applies to delivery by fibre. Everybody else is to be serviced by a combination of satellite and wireless. Admittedly, I don't really know where all that's at with the change of government.

Again we see the total dishonesty, class warfare and complete disdain for people who need help the most in this budget.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...milies-pay-most-in-budget-20140521-38p5m.html

For a more even analysis.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...t-analysis-shows/story-fnmbxr2t-1226929382749

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/rich-not-poor-fill-the-coffers/story-e6frg6n6-1226929241638

Milne and the Greens luckily wont ever run the country - they are loonies economically. Labor had the sense to knock back their really loonie ideas.

Its one thing espousing environmental principles another is reducing everyone to the lowest common denominator. Financially their policies dont make sense.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back