Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

If and when Rocky stands down, Pearce is the man, I have decided. What a fiercely loyal and strong captain he would be .....and a no nonsense captain yet earn great respect from teammates....Like JB.

For quite a while I thought it should be Richy, and I'm still sure he would be a good captain, but as Pearce has settled and developed, he has impressed me with his quirky, quiet but strong character and leadership qualities.

We are a far better team for having Pearce in it.

If and when Rocky stands down, Pearce is the man, I have decided. What a fiercely loyal and strong captain he would be .....and a no nonsense captain yet earn great respect from teammates....Like JB.

For quite a while I thought it should be Richy, and I'm still sure he would be a good captain, but as Pearce has settled and developed, he has impressed me with his quirky, quiet but strong character and leadership qualities.

We are a far better team for having Pearce in it.

Pearce is a couple of years older than Rocky. I don't think there will be a window of opportunity for the captaincy. I agree he'd be great at it though.

Am hoping he can have an uninterrupted pre season because he will flourish next season. Has developed into a terrific footballer and is so entertaining to watch when in full flight. He has reached his peak/prime of his career imo and now he just needs to remain injury free and tear it up.

Key Trio Re-Sign

Vice-Captain Hanley, who was already contracted until the end of 2017, has put pen to paper for an additional two years on top of that, his freakish skills and devastating running game set to light up the Gabba.

Hanley pledges Lions will hang on to their talent

"We've put a lot of work in this pre-season - (we're) drawing a line in the sand on us going forward," Hanley told AFL.com.au.

"We're going to build and be a good club, we're going to retain players and we're going to play finals soon.

"We're working towards that, training's going well and the club's in a great place at the moment, so everything's looking good."

Aside from veteran fullback Daniel Merrett, Hanley is now the longest serving player on the list.

Brisbane Lions star Pearce Hanley says Irish recruiting not up to standard

Brisbane Lions star Pearce Hanley has taken a swing at the methods used to recruit Irish players, calling on the league and clubs to place greater stock in gaelic football performances rather than athletic testing at draft combines and camps.

Few Irishmen have adapted as successfully to the Australian game as has Hanley, 27, who has played 107 games for the Lions since being plucked from county Mayo in the 2008 rookie draft.

Hanley and Carlton's Zach Tuohy are the only two Irishmen on senior lists this year, but Hanley's brother Cian, Blues Ciaran Byrne and Ciaran Sheehan, Essendon's Conor McKenna, Geelong's Padraig Lucey, Fremantle's Sean Hurley, Hawthorn's Conor Glass, Sydney's Colin O'Riordan and West Coast's Paddy Brophy are all current rookie listed players from the Emerald Isle.

Fellow Irishmen Darragh Joyce, Ray Connellan and Cillian McDaid all tested at January's AFL academy camp in Bradenton, Florida. Joyce attended October's draft combine in Melbourne, but was not picked up by an AFL club.

What's wrong with Hanley? doesn't seem to trust his body at the moment? He keeps running past the ball and can't stop his forward momentum at all, his agility is almost non existant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's always started slowly coming back from time off, injury or season break. It's typically taken him about 4 or 5 games to properly start trusting his body again, then he starts to break lines and push forward.

That little shimmy onto the right boot last night was a good little insight into what is to come.

Pearce Hanley's Century in No. 11

Pearce Hanley will post a Lions century of a different kind tomorrow night – 100 games in the jumper number 11.

Having played his first three years and 12 games in the No. 42, the Irishman switched to No. 11 in 2011 when Justin Sherman left the Club.

This jumper milestone comes after Ryan Harwood, having played his first two years and 13 games in No. 26, played his 50th game last weekend in No. 2.

Hanley will be the 40th player in Brisbane Football Club's history to play 100 games in the same jumper number and the second in No. 11 behind Alastair Lynch’s 186.

The most games played in any one number by the same player is Simon Black’s 322 in No. 20.

TheBrownDog I remember you commenting during the Round 3 Geelong game in the Game Day thread that you fear Pearce will never be the same player that we saw in 2013/2014 due to the hip surgery he had last year in reply to people who were saying he looked slow among other things. He looked back to his brilliant best against the Suns last week would it be fair to say that some of the doubts that you had are no longer as strong after watching him play against the Suns?

Brisbane Lions player Pearce Hanley in UFC-inspired pub stoush

This is not your regular 'AFL player in a pub fight' story.

The Brisbane Lions are investigating Pearce Hanley for an altercation in a Queensland pub on Sunday. Regrettably, that is not an unusual predicament for a footballer to find himself in. However, this is where the story strays from the script.

The Hanley fracas occurred at five o'clock in the afternoon on Sunday when the Irishman and a friend began play-fighting after watching the UFC, or the popular mixed martial arts caper known as cage-fighting, on the pub's television. Hanley was with his mum. And his cousin, and a large group of friends.

It is unclear whether or not the Lions' running defender was affected by alcohol, or if other patrons were also involved in what escalated into more than a scuffle.

The Lions are examining the hotel's CCTV footage of the incident to confirm the version of events they have been given, but it is understood Hanley and his mate began play-fighting after watching UFC 200 bout between Mark Hunt and Brock Lesnar, and the play-fight escalated and became a little too willing.

The club is unaware of any police involvement but it is understood the football department was made aware of the incident because there had been a significant disturbance.

Hanley was not injured and trained at the club on Tuesday.

If the Lions' investigation reveals that the version of events they have been given proves to be as described to them and there is no issue of drunkenness, or the involvement of other patrons or police, then it is doubtful the club will pursue the matter with disciplinary action.

His last two weeks have been poor in terms of behavior. I really hope he's not in the team this week. A message needs to be sent to our plethora of youngsters :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back