Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

Given the run around by Breust. Got into the game a bit in the second half. 4/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Huge game - 5 inside-50s, 13 cont poss and always around the footy. 8/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

pearce hanley ‏@pearcehanley 13h
Going to do all in my power to get up for next week!!

^^Pearce posted that on twitter 13 hours ago. Surely the hammy injury couldn't be that bad if he is hopeful of getting up for next week:thumbsu: Hopefully his removal from the game was more of a precautionary thing with the coaches knowing the game was over anyway.
Looked more like a strain than a tear in my uneducated opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well its not like hes been injured lately.

You say that like it is a given that a player who has missed two weeks with an injury will come back fumbling and shanking his kicks, and that I am being unfair and/or lacking understanding for mentioning it. Was that the intent of your sarcasm?

You say that like it is a given that a player who has missed two weeks with an injury will come back fumbling and shanking his kicks, and that I am being unfair and/or lacking understanding for mentioning it. Was that the intent of your sarcasm?

So you are saying 27 disposals at 81.5% efficiency is an indication that he is fumbling and shanking far to much?

Clearly the worst game from Hanley I've seen for quite some time. Several glaring (read: un-Hanley-like) mistakes by foot and general poor/stuttered decision-making.

I'll grant him one shaky game returning from a short-term injury, but sheesh, given the contract he's on, I expect better.

So you are saying 27 disposals at 81.5% efficiency is an indication that he is fumbling and shanking far to much?

You seem to have changed your argument. First you justified his poor skills due to an injury and now you seem to be arguing that his skills haven't been poor at all. After ignoring my question it seems your only intent is to criticise my opinion, rather than providing clarity on yours, so it looks like it is going to be hard to work out where you're coming from.

To answer your question, your paraphrasing is a lot different to what I said. Disposal count is not relevant to the discussion so there would be no need for me to mention it. Neither of those stats are relevant to how clean his hands are so I would not have made that link. And while I am surprised that his disposal efficiency is that high, and acknowledge that I may overstated his poor ball use to some extent, it can be a fairly misleading statistic, as it varies greatly depending on where one plays. Therefore I would not have used it to provide evidence of how good a player's ball use is.

You seem to have changed your argument. First you justified his poor skills due to an injury and now you seem to be arguing that his skills haven't been poor at all. After ignoring my question it seems your only intent is to criticise my opinion, rather than providing clarity on yours, so it looks like it is going to be hard to work out where you're coming from.

To answer your question, your paraphrasing is a lot different to what I said. Disposal count is not relevant to the discussion so there would be no need for me to mention it. Neither of those stats are relevant to how clean his hands are so I would not have made that link. And while I am surprised that his disposal efficiency is that high, and acknowledge that I may overstated his poor ball use to some extent, it can be a fairly misleading statistic, as it varies greatly depending on where one plays. Therefore I would not have used it to provide evidence of how good a player's ball use is.

Skills have completely deserted him.

That post, the second one I quoted, pretty clearly makes it apparent that you believe his skills have completely, and you used the term COMPLETELY, deserted him.

Are you trying to say just this game? Are you suggesting he has fallen to a lower standard than we could expect from him now?

Sure, my two figures are not perfect examples of "clean hands" but they would seem to suggest that the 2-3 times I personally saw him kick incorrectly or mess up a handball were caused by disruptions in his football over the last few weeks. We forget that hes still learning, hes one of those players in our team that hasnt been playing AFL since he was 12-15.

Another curious stat, which is probably more indicative of how his poor skills should have made him a liablity, would be his clangers. He had 2 for the game. Rockliff had 8. Hanley also had significantly less kicks than handballs, suggesting his confidence might be a bit lower, as we know he prefers to use his foot generally.

Yeah said a few weeks ago (wasn't shouted down for it) that he just hasn't got himself going yet this season. The endeavour was there last night but everything he touched turned to doodoo. Waiting for the "click" moment.

Another curious stat, which is probably more indicative of how his poor skills should have made him a liablity, would be his clangers. He had 2 for the game. Rockliff had 8. Hanley also had significantly less kicks than handballs, suggesting his confidence might be a bit lower, as we know he prefers to use his foot generally.

That's just flat out ridiculous. I know there has to be some subjectivity with things like clangers, but clearly someone in the stats box wasn't paying attention.

Just maybe another of those players that has that burst that once lost will never return just like 99% of all players that have ever played?

You may be right but... I don't think so.

Hanley improved steadily over three or four years, we never knew where his ceiling was and it may be that his play will plateau, but I expect he will be a key player for many years yet.

I was actually pleased with how he tried to inject himself into the game yesterday, more errors but also more involvement.

It seemed to me like it was a case of early mistakes building more mental pressure. He took a while to shake the baggage, but thought he managed to start to get some form back in the third quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back