Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

There's something special about Hanley's attack on the ball these days. It's like he had an epiphany recently that he has the size to break tackles and take the opponent on - and when (more often than 'if') he gets through them, it can be so much more damaging than a simple sideways handball to avoid being caught.

It's exciting to watch, and his ability to read the play is so great to see - clearly evident in his game on Saturday - but in particular that run off the half back that saw him deliver the ball to Zorko, which released him to run in and chase the ball to the front of the goals - simply fantastic stuff.

I'm so glad we signed him for 5 years... is it too early to offer another 5 extension? :D

Fantastic segment with Pearce on the footy show tonight. Great to see us getting some positive exposure to the national audience. Loved to see him backing up his tweets on the go home 5.

Still hasn't played 100 AFL games and has probably only played about 150 games of Aussie Rules footy in his life. Amazing story.

So good he got double votes:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-18/aflca-votes-round-21

Collingwood v Brisbane Lions
9 Dayne Zorko (BL)
7 Stefan Martin (BL)
7 Tom Rockliff (BL)
5 Pearce Hanley (BL)
5 Pearce Hanley (BL)

1 Lewis Taylor (BL)

5 for his left side, and 5 for his right side. :) I reckon he's the best 2 sided player we've had since Aker. It makes him such a weapon. I can't believe some people (Lethal included IIRC) suggest focussing on your good side. Hanley can be anywhere and not have to change directions, and be diabolically damaging with both feet... it is BEAUTIFUL to watch. I luv him.

5 for his left side, and 5 for his right side. :) I reckon he's the best 2 sided player we've had since Aker. It makes him such a weapon. I can't believe some people (Lethal included IIRC) suggest focussing on your good side. Hanley can be anywhere and not have to change directions, and be diabolically damaging with both feet... it is BEAUTIFUL to watch. I luv him.

Him, Beams and Rich are our best 3 kicks. If we had to rank them...Id say Rich>Hanley>Beams, only because Rich has the ability to slot goals 4 rows back from 60m. Hanley has the doubled sided precision and Beams can launch low jets from his legs that give defenders no chance.

Him, Beams and Rich are our best 3 kicks. If we had to rank them...Id say Rich>Hanley>Beams, only because Rich has the ability to slot goals 4 rows back from 60m. Hanley has the doubled sided precision and Beams can launch low jets from his legs that give defenders no chance.
For me Hanley's set shots don't come into it. Just his natural instinct and talent is sublime, his decision making and execution 2nd to none. The less time to think, the better for him... imagine how he'd be if he got into it in juniors aged 8 or 9. Hanley Hoorah! Yes Beams is nice so is Ash, and Staker, I don't mind Jed on the run or Tinka for that matter.

Has he always been ambidextrous? Truth be known I never really noticed him kicking on his left until he did an absolute dog of a kick recently in one game, at the Gabba, I think it was - and ever since then I've noticed him using it more and more frequently, and for longer kicks - without really noticing him using the left that much before that incident I took it like he's realised it was a weakness and set about sorting it out.

I agree though, I love seeing him kicking with both feet - it makes him such an unpredictable player to try and keep under control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just the start: Hanley

BRISBANE star Pearce Hanley says seven wins for the season might not look spectacular but the club will reflect on this year as the start of something special. Hanley said the foundations have been set for a bright future at the Gabba. “The boys have responded well this year with all the injuries and we’ve been able to blood a lot of youngsters which will stand us in good stead,’’ he said. “The young boys haven’t taken a step backwards and they will only be better for the experience they’ve been able to get this year. “It’s hard to gauge how your year has been after you have seven wins but we are in a different phase to a lot of teams.

“We are building towards the future with a young list and the way we played in the back-half of the year was very promising. “It’s going to be exciting when all of the boys come back from injury and we are at full-strength. “We are going to have a really good team in a few years.’’ Hanley said the loss to the Cats was encouraging in parts but a steep learning curve in others. “We managed to match them at times but then they would show they are in a completely different class,’’ Hanley said. “That’s the class we want to get to so it was good for the boys to see that up close.’’ Hanley finished 2014 averaging 25.2 disposals per game to underline his status as an emerging AFL A-lister. “I’m very happy with how I finished off the year. I got off to a slow start but I’m proud of the way I built into it,’’ he said.

Re: Pierce Hanley

Did Courier Mail get his name wrong? It is Pierce and not Pearce isn't it?

Looks like Handles was kitted out and then sent upstairs for a photo shoot (the cricket must have been on, otherwise it would have been the obligatory pic on the ground).

#SorryNotSorry for quoting my own post from 2007. My nickname didn't stick and Pearce still remembers this all these years later. Perhaps we can recycle Handles for his brother.

#SorryNotSorry for quoting my own post from 2007. My nickname didn't stick and Pearce still remembers this all these years later. Perhaps we can recycle Handles for his brother.

Nigelicious and I still call him Handles.

<3 Hanley.

Yep... believe be Ling? ;)
3sMYfUU.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back