Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

this thread is rivalling COLA and Essendon PED for irrationality.

Cricket is dying - just let a few more fixing episodes pass by and it will be largely dead. move on and finish the footy stadium. And PS- Subi Council own Subi and would keep any money from its sale.

Not at all, with T20 cricket it has gained a new lease of life. I hope the Scorchers play at new stadium. I can't wait to go watch a game there.

Dont expect it will. But when the time arrives, it is an asset that the WAFC can work to considerable advantage.

Wedgie I am aware of a substantial property held under a long term lease in Subi, the lessee under the agreement tried what you are suggesting & lost. Subi Council are not the babes in the wood you appear to believe they are.

Not at all, with T20 cricket it has gained a new lease of life. I hope the Scorchers play at new stadium. I can't wait to go watch a game there.
im sure the scorches had sell outs or near sell outs for every game last bbl season. but whats happening to the WACCA? because there is almost a fat chance of the WA cricket association allowing games to be held at the new stadium, when they have the WACCA

im sure the scorches had sell outs or near sell outs for every game last bbl season. but whats happening to the WACCA? because there is almost a fat chance of the WA cricket association allowing games to be held at the new stadium, when they have the WACCA

There is every chance of Scorchers home games going to the new stadium. Which has been the official position of the WACA for a few years now. Not test matches, not Sheffield Shield, just domestic T20s.

When you've got a 22,000 seater stadium sell out within an hour it indicates a fair bit of demand. I don't know what the break-even point is, but it might make them more money to shift to a stadium with a much bigger crowd capacity. The WACA's plan is to try it.

I found this article interesting.

A lot of talk about the government wanting this stadium to be state of the art.

Well it appears the state of the art benchmark has been set again by the US.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/outdoor-articles/ski/nfl-teams-getting-greener-with/27331268

I'm very interested to see what the West Australian government has in mind as being state of the art when it is clear that overseas, new stadiums are being built everywhere that should be closely looked at in the design of ours.

As a proponent of the role of footy in the stadium right up to total stadium rights with the WAFC (it has stood up to the AFL in booking rugger at AFL finals time in the absence of any booking by the AFL), check out how the Adelaide experience has benefitted business in that city.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...icks=true&nk=0cd4905fd3bb1da0852a459e97593bf6

Footy delivers.
While I'm sure some tourism will go up, I doubt it'll be as big of a win for Perth as it is for Adelaide. It's heaps cheaper and more convenient to go to South Australia for the weekend than WA. Not to mention there's an allure, a romance about a famous stadium almost coming back from the dead (in a footballing sense). I'm all for Burswood, it's overdue, but this stadium should be for WA people more than anything.

While I'm sure some tourism will go up, I doubt it'll be as big of a win for Perth as it is for Adelaide. It's heaps cheaper and more convenient to go to South Australia for the weekend than WA. Not to mention there's an allure, a romance about a famous stadium almost coming back from the dead (in a footballing sense). I'm all for Burswood, it's overdue, but this stadium should be for WA people more than anything.

it would be criminal not to use the new stadium to grow footy tourism - Metricon on the Gold Coast has been proactive just as Adelaide.

Easy to fly in & out of Adelaide the same day - flew out of Adelaide early Melbourne Cup day, truly amazing ladies in their finery (just an aside).

With weather like this, I hope it has a roof.....or abit more cover.

id love to come over and watch my suns play at new stadium - but not even a direct flight from the gold coast to perth!
i have to go via sydney, or adel, or melb... so unless i make a week of it, not worth coming for a 'weekend' as you need a day each way to get there!

& that is who you'd target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't need a roof, just decent roof coverage for fans. Good thing about Perth is that even during heavy rain it rarely gets that freezing cold that Melbourne gets.

The only problem I see with lots of roof coverage for the fans is you seem to get a lot of shade on the ground as well which creates havoc with the cameras/tv going from bright to shade every couple of seconds (see Etihad when they have the roof open on a sunny day). I'm not an architect though so it probably could be done :)

A lot of modern grounds have incorporated glass roofs of late. Wouldnt be an issue at all in that case. I hope it is a glass roof whatever portion of it covers the stadium. Will look far cleaner and spacious with glass than steel.

This is an extract from a forum I read from a person who claims to know someone who is working on the project and has seen the winning proposal.
Apparently roof will be white.

Roof for the stands will be white in colour and the proposal chosen was the only one to be supported by canter leavers (instead of beams like the other two) - means no slight lines.

This is an extract from a forum I read from a person who claims to know someone who is working on the project and has seen the winning proposal.
Apparently roof will be white.

Roof for the stands will be white in colour and the proposal chosen was the only one to be supported by canter leavers (instead of beams like the other two) - means no slight lines.

I visit that forum as well. I found this extract quite interesting considering the roof colour.

The stadium will reflect the mining industry in colour (so I'm assuming oche maybe?) and will be three layered in materials inter-lapping (I said Birds nest and he said not quite)

Full extract, word of mouth so read into it what you will...

Spoke to one my mates who is working on this project. He is quite a junior (or pussy) so couldn't give away too much. Did offer him a fortune to take a cheeky snap of any renders but they are all locked away in a room.

So what he did actually say...
Those of us expecting the multi changing lights plan like Allianz will be disappointed. The other two proposals that they did choose had this feature.

The proposal they did choose was by far the most striking and imposing looks-wise in broad day light (I'm assuming he meant the other two would have looked a lot better at night). The stadium will reflect the MINING INDUSTRY in colour (so I'm assuming oche maybe?) and will be three layered in materials inter-lapping (I said Birds nest and he said not quite).

Parking will be built under the stands (tier effect or whatever) and a tunnel under the playing ground will lead to the exits. He did say he can see it being an issue (read: bottleneck).

Press boxes will all be on one side and will be two tiered. They will run slightly longer in length of the two 50m arcs (football oval).

High emphasis on food options and amenities (that's no surprise).

He did say that the government wants all these additions/changes that will cost an extra 8mill. No idea who is going to pay for it.

Also did say that they spent a fair amount of time just working out on who would take liability for the stability of the ground. Hence the long time-frame between announcements.

The more I pressed him, the more he told me to wait a couple of weeks when all will be revealed. Also note that we were a little boozy so don't shot the drunken messenger (especially with the ochre colour - yuck and lol).

The east-west tunnel is a morally bankrupt project that was used as a means to win votes from constituents in marginal seats. Infrastructure Australia even has Melbourne Metro and WestLink as higher priorities.

I understand Perth needs a new stadium, and yes it will generate millions. Will the public that paid for the stadium ever see a ROI though? You realise not everyone attends sporting events.

Federation Square actually makes money for the state government with a number of the tenants there being government owned. So when public funds are used to build a sports stadium for a team, they sell tickets and make money from it. Where is the benefit to the public that will never visit that stadium?

You keep pointing out how stadiums put us on the world stage and events are held there. I'm not disputing that, I'm disputing the fact that we are using public funds to build these stadiums with no ROI to the public purse. Fund them through private investment.

Im with you about AAMi in Melbourne the the return from the rents paid to the State wouldnt cover the yearly interest costs and mainteinace

In my opinion it was 300 Million dollars of taxpayers money that could have been better spent elsewhere. Olympic Park could have been upgraded for much less and still have been big enough for the 10 - 15000 crowds that the Rugby/RL and soccer get to their games. AAMI has hardly ever had a sellout in its history and the Dockland stadium at 56,000 is a better option for big event games anyway..

Im with you about AAMi in Melbourne the the return from the rents paid to the State wouldnt cover the yearly interest costs and mainteinace

In my opinion it was 300 Million dollars of taxpayers money that could have been better spent elsewhere. Olympic Park could have been upgraded for much less and still have been big enough for the 10 - 15000 crowds that the Rugby/RL and soccer get to their games. AAMI has hardly ever had a sellout in its history and the Dockland stadium at 56,000 is a better option for big event games anyway..

Disagree, the rectangular venue rocks at 25k e.g Anzac Day Storm v the Kiwis. Attended an NRL final at Docklands, bigger crowd than Anzac Day but a 35-40,000 crowd has no atmosphere.

Time the Vic Govt stuck money directly into AFL footy ... not the MCC as suggested by Andy on his way out:

Demetriou also had a parting shot for the Victorian government, criticising it for a relative lack of generosity in funding the MCG compared with the way in which other states have supported stadia.
"The government that has contributed least; to the most iconic stadium in this country, is the Victorian government, and that's why the MCC is burdened with debt ... they have been the worst recipient of state government funding, of all of our venues. I think the government should think about a significant grant to the MCC, because it pays its way."
"In Queensland the government put money into Metricon Stadium and the Gabba. In New South Wales, in the last few months of the Kristina Keneally government they put $65 million into the GWS stadium, the SCG's just been redeveloped with the help of federal government and state government money, in Adelaide, $535 million from the state government with federal government contribution and then you go to Perth where they just announced an $800 million stadium."

Ian Collins
The long-time Carlton CEO, AFL executive and Docklands stadium boss, virtually from its outset, is also consulting to Brookfield Multiplex, the consortium that has won the tender to to build the new Perth Stadium, which will host all West Coast and Fremantle AFL games.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ian-collins-predicted-port-adelaide-would-go-broke-in-three-years-under-adelaide-oval-deal-20140710-zt3a3.html#ixzz374Ee2812

The Adelaide Oval schmozzle should worry any of us concerned for WA footy.

Disagree big time.

Last A-League season alone there was 6 sellouts. The season before there was 5. Remember an AAMI Park Sellout for a Victory match is 23k due to the 22k members they have and not all attending (much like Essendon's 45k sell outs with Etihad). If Victory played all its 14 home games at the stadium (if it wasn't for the amazing Docklands deal they have) they'd be at least another 4 sellouts.

Olympic Park was a hovel in its last days. Served the City well. Docklands might do well for Victory matches that draw 40k plus but that atmosphere is lost and a 20k+ Swan Street crowd s***s all over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back