News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope talk of trading Ladhams will cease after friday night's effort, mobile 200cm plus blokes who can get the ground ball in contested situations and put it to the advantage of a team mate, plus take park marks and regularly kick accurately for goal are much more valuable than any speculative draft pick(s).

Well... We now want 2x top 10 draft picks for ladhams or we walk away.
Proven finals player. Worth a future pick as well.

Nah he's a keeper, keep developing him as he is athletic and match craft improving with every game. Port has always looked better with two ruck rotation.

I hope talk of trading Ladhams will cease after friday night's effort, mobile 200cm plus blokes who can get the ground ball in contested situations and put it to the advantage of a team mate, plus take park marks and regularly kick accurately for goal are much more valuable than any speculative draft pick(s).

Sounds like someone with extremely high trade value 😍

I'd say we're seeing that if we ran with Ladhams and Hayes as our rucks next year, with Lycett as backup things are going to be ok.

I'd say we're seeing that if we ran with Ladhams and Hayes as our rucks next year, with Lycett as backup things are going to be ok.

Or we could trade Ladhams for a high draft pick, and select an outstanding rangy half back flanker - a position of need on our list. Buy low, sell high; In Cripps we trust

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my favourite moments from the QF was when Ladhams lined up to ruck a throw-in in our defensive 50 against Hawkins. I thought he was going to get monstered, but Pete somehow out-muscled Tom and won the clearance. I think it was in Q1? If someone finds it on the replay, give me the timestamp please.

Unpopular opinion: if we win the flag, I would consider trading ladhams. Not because I don’t rate him, I definitely do. But it could be clever to cash in on a player with value in an area we have some depth.

One of my favourite moments from the QF was when Ladhams lined up to ruck a throw-in in our defensive 50 against Hawkins. I thought he was going to get monstered, but Pete somehow out-muscled Tom and won the clearance. I think it was in Q1? If someone finds it on the replay, give me the timestamp please.
I noticed this too. His body work was emphatic in that particular contest. Showed maturity, confidence and aggression and said I'm here to make a statement. Loved it!

Unpopular opinion: if we win the flag, I would consider trading ladhams. Not because I don’t rate him, I definitely do. But it could be clever to cash in on a player with value in an area we have some depth.
Our ruck depth would be Hayes, with Lycett having who knows how many years left. It isn't like the days we had Primus, Brogan, Lade AND French with still plenty of time ahead of them, so we could trade the latter. We shouldn't be trading a ruck, but we especially shouldn't be trading Ladhams (or Hayes), unless it gets us a gun KPD or KPF 25 or under.

if he keeps getting better we might have trouble fitting his new contract into the salary cap.
a competent ruck/ kpf is very rare and a coaches wet dream.
i remember the huge contract tippet got at sydney and the money jenkins was on.
there would be at least 15 other clubs that would give their left nut for him.

We are one ACL injury from having no depth in our ruck stocks. We should always have at least 4 of them on the list. There is absolutely no proof so far that Hayes will be a dominate 150 game plus ruckman that we just give Ladhams away.

Why trade away someone that will take 4 to 6 years to replace?

Look how stupid it was for Sydney to trade away Aliir to Port who they are in serious competition with us for a flag. They have given us a massive free kick.

You don't trade away a first ruck to a club like GWS who are too lazy to develop one after we have done the development work, just for a nice pick in the draft. The pricks have so many advantages with their many first rounders that they trade away for more first round picks and they have their southern NSW NGA zone that they will get plenty of top 10 picks in the bidding system. Make the bastards suffer, don't give them anything, they can spend the time developing a decent ruck.

We are one ACL injury from having no depth in our ruck stocks. We should always have at least 4 of them on the list. There is absolutely no proof so far that Hayes will be a dominate 150 game plus ruckman that we just give Ladhams away.

Why trade away someone that will take 4 to 6 years to replace?
Clubs are willing to cough up high picks for rucks, because they take so long to develop. Many figure paying a first for even an average ruck is worth it, as you aren't carrying them as they develop for 4 - 6 years. Lycett is a bog average ruck, so as long as Hayes is just average we're going to have a combination of Hayes / Ladhams from 2023/2024 for 5 - 7 years that will be in the top third of the AFL. If Hayes builds his tank more and turns out as good as those who watch him regularly think, then we're set from 2023/2024 to have a ruck combination that'll move over time to one of the best, if not best across the AFL. No way you throw that away for magic beans draft picks.

Clubs are willing to cough up high picks for rucks, because they take so long to develop. Many figure paying a first for even an average ruck is worth it, as you aren't carrying them as they develop for 4 - 6 years. Lycett is a bog average ruck, so as long as Hayes is just average we're going to have a combination of Hayes / Ladhams from 2023/2024 for 5 - 7 years that will be in the top third of the AFL. If Hayes builds his tank more and turns out as good as those who watch him regularly think, then we're set from 2023/2024 to have a ruck combination that'll move over time to one of the best, if not best across the AFL. No way you throw that away for magic beans draft picks.
I understand that and the club does to, and that's why they don't use top picks on rucks anymore, yet if they trade away Ladhams or Hayes, they wont trade in for a ruck and they will have to use a late pick or rookie pick and then spend 4 to 6 years waiting for the new bloke to develop.

I understand that and the club does to, and that's why they don't use top picks on rucks anymore, yet if they trade away Ladhams or Hayes, they wont trade in for a ruck and they will have to use a late pick or rookie pick and then spend 4 to 6 years waiting for the new bloke to develop.
Ie. a pointless activity, that doesn't help us short term (no Ladhams to go with Lycett) or long term (to go with Hayes). I'm not as worried about what we'll do these days, but I'll always worry that a tall that isn't a Ken favourite will get moved out.

Might be good business to sign Ladhams and Hayes to long term contracts while they are still cheap…?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Neither would be ‘Cheap’ right now, but not the value they ‘should’ demand t this point in their progression.