Peter Nicholson - Can he coach AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Joe Dirt

Debutant
Sep 19, 2006
Bemuda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interested in peoples thoughts on Peter Nicholson, particularly from St Bernards or Hailibury people.

Can this guy coach AFL? Does anyone know if he's tried to get there?

His record in whatever level he's coached is incredible. He cops a bit of flak around the traps for his famous quote of "I don't have friends I have premierships", but it's just simply true. Has now coached 5 years in Ammos and not finished lower than 3rd. Took St Bernards to a 27 year drought breaking flag, now taken Old Hailibury, who many believed were just one of those clubs who just might always be thereabouts without winning to a flag. His record when coaching in the VFA/VFL with I think Springvale was awesome also. Just littered with premierships.

I'm from Bernards and have my own opinions as to what might be some of his negatives but I'll reserve the judgement, just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Handy accounting teacher too, especially with all the motivational techniques. Apparently has an excellent coaching record, so if an AFL club wants to give him a job why not, may get some ex-students post game entry into the clubrooms ;) .

Was a good coach for Box Hill too.
always coached well against Prahran sides of that time.
If AFL clubs looked more to the outside world than just the trend of taking assistant coaches & recently retired high-profile players they'd find a huge number of potential candidates with a great wealth of knowledge.

guys like Nicholson, Bernie Sheehy & Barry Richardson are prime examples.

Here's a blast from the past!!!

Spoke to (self proclaimed) great man today at the Whitefriars v Park Orchards practice match. According to him he is still the best coach ever at any level of football so the AFL wouldn't be a challenge for him, in fact it would be way beneath his status in life.

He's probably lost it in the stats/history department - claimed openly to all that he is one of only two coaches to have won 2 A/Premier Flags along with Mike McArthur-Allen and is (in his own words) a "legend".

My apologies to the great number of other A/Premier coaches who have coached 2 and even more flags at the pinnacle of amateur football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back