News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

tumblr_nr0en444SP1sh5ux2o6_1280.jpg

This is so lovely and touching. Still can't even believe what's occurred. Rest peacefully, Phil.

Was watching the replay of the Adelaide vs North Melbourne game, and they just showed a shot of Walsh standing in the coaches box. Seeing that momentarily made my heart drop into the pit of my stomach again.
I don't think I'll be able to watch that game for quite some time…probably not until we make finals once more.

Exactly right Jenny. I've been pretty disillusioned as a Crows supporter over these past few years, with 2012 being an all too brief exception. It's been a pretty crappy period to be a supporter of the Crows, with everything that this club has gone through, from terrible on and off field performance, scandals, players leaving, Dean Bailey passing away, and seemingly no end in sight. Football was supposed to be an escape, something to enjoy and have fun with, but as I'm so attached to this club, it was becoming nothing but a source of frustration.

For the first time in a long time, with a guy who bleeds red, blue and gold giving the board a much needed kick up the arse, Fagan at the helm of our administration, and Walsh in charge of the team, it was slowly starting to return to the escape that was full of enjoyment. Once again, I was looking forward all week to heading to the game and watching the boys play, instead of dreading going and wondering what fresh hell my eyes were going to be subjected to this time. Now this happens, and it just ******* sucks. Just as he was starting to show the world that there was a lot more to the man than just football too. :(

Obviously this comes in pretty low on the scale of importance regarding his passing, but it's still s**t.

I think you've summed it up perfectly for me. I've lived away from Adelaide for 7 years and followed the club from afar before returning with my young family. I'd lost a lot of hope in my club and felt like finally it had been restored, not just Walsh but Fagan and seeing some core players come through and commit to the club.

I've been to every home game this year - it's been my time to escape from my boys (anyone with a 1 and 3 year old can relate I hope, I love them but by the weekend I am mentally exhausted from being home with them all week). It's such a selfish feeling that I have now lost that one escape and more importantly lost that hope for my team.

I have no expectations for the rest of the year, I just want the team to get through the next few months, and come back next year ready to enjoy football again.

It's been really helpful reading everyone's comments regarding the loss of Walshy, but I haven't really made a comment of my own because I've been struggling to put into words what he meant to me and to what I think he meant to the AFC supporters in general. I hope Janus doesn't mind me reposting here, but IMO he has eloquently put into words where I'm at. I also think it quite apt at this time that the words I was looking for came from a supporter of our biggest rival.

Adelaide fans grieve more because they lost more.

Adelaide lost the person who was going to create their own fabric, their own identity, their own club. He was a coach, mentor and master to them. He was going to place the building blocks by which all other coaches followed.

And now he's gone.

Crows fans know that this is the moment. That what they do from here will be a defining event in the fortunes of a club that was starting to get its mojo back. We lost a favourite son, they lost the football equivalent of a soulmate.

Not sure how you come back from that, but they have to try.

Edit: this is not to say we didn't have an identity before Walsh, but more so the fact that he took control of a rudderless ship and gave the club a new direction.

#weflyasone

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was literally only a few weeks ago, Walsh was heavily praised for giving us arguably the biggest title fight in the AFL. Dangerfield V Fyfe.

His decision and motivation to provide this for us was highly respected in the AFL world, especially for a "debut" coach.

There were so many moments over his short tenure that made me think "This guy is the real deal," and the Danger v Fyfe thing was one of the biggest. The passion he had for the game itself, it gave me confidence that he was going to be the kind of coach who said what he thought. The kind who, when push came to shove, would stand up for our club in the same way he stood up for the spectacle of the game.

Will never get my head around such devastation, makes me sick knowing what his poor wife had to see.

It's going to be tough to watch the lads on Saturday night, they must be feeling so lost. #weflyasone

Being overseas playing tennis has certainly helped keep my mind off the event. Had to play the day of the news and that was difficult. First match was easy but won 7-5 in 3rd in 2nd round, was pretty to rapt to get win considering the circumstances.

God it was hard though finding out at about 2am South African time. I was lying there for about 20 minutes wondering what the time was and knowing I had to set my alarm. So I get up and check my phone, only to see an odd notification from Facebook. I think when you're slightly tired too seeing the thread "Phil Walsh RIP", you think "What, have I missed something that I should already know".

Check twitter and I shed a few tears. Obviously there's no chance of me sleeping, and my roommate wakes up and sees me breathing VERY heavily over the news.

Obviously I have to explain why I'm like this. I had to compose my self and breathe calmly before saying "The Crows coach was murdered overnight". Probably one of the hardest sentences I've ever spoken. I was up between 2-3:30am, got about 40 minutes sleep then up for another 20 odd minutes, then another hour after that. But sleep for those 90 minutes was difficult. I either was checking twitter or trying to sleep with no success at all.

Don't have Wi-Fi at the courts so have been checking up every day on the latest news/reactions/pics when we're at the hotel.

I've been slightly sick since the news so whether it played a factor I'm not sure but it definitely made me flat for the day.

Ended up losing to number 1 seed in QF and eventual winner 6-1, 7-6.

Still can't quite deal with this. Bloody hell.

I know. You start reading the stuff which is about picking up the pieces and finding a way to move on and then it just hits you again and you think how could this possibly have happened?? What do you mean he won't be there this week, or ever again?? This was the man who was leading us out of the wilderness with his strength and intelligence, Jesus fecking Christ someone like that can't just die!!

When Princess Diana died someone said the huge outpouring of grief was due to "the death of hope" - she represented hope for something better for so many people. Same here - we had so much hope and it seems to have died with him.

I went to see the floral tribute yesterday, there's a cap where someone has written "you gave us all such hope". And now it's fecking over. F*** IT!!!

Please Roo, tell us you've got one more ace up your sleeve. In Roo we trust

Just visited the memorial with a mate from work, simply amazing. Humanity at its best. I left a Crows cap there to pay my respects to Walshy, but some of the things and messages left by others are truly touching.

I wonder what's going to happen with all the momentos?

I hope they can be put in a cabinet somewhere where they can be viewed. Like that teddy bear in Crows and Port colours from somebody's 94 year old mother, even some of the things written by kids.

Am going to the game this weekend. Was thinking if I can get near the fence after the game I would give my guernsey to one of the players or club staff and ask them to take it as my contribution to the memorial ..... but I don't wanna part with my Crows guernsey!!! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back