Physiotherapist

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you need a masters degree to be a physiotherapist?

Also if you have a bachelors degree in exercise science, how much of that goes towards the bachelor of physiotherapy?

I'm confused so my questions will probably confuse you.

Thanks.

Fortunately for you I study sports exercise science, unfortunately for you I'm about the worst student you could come across.

You shouldn't need to do masters to be a physiotherapist, you should just have to finish the physio course, I think in general you don't NEED masters to be anything. Obviously exceptions, you're not going to do 4 years of engineering then work at NASA, but to be a physiotherapist I don't think you need anything more than your standard 4 year course, masters and phd are there as extra if you do want to get one of those top line jobs.

As for the sports ex into physio question, it would differ from university to university a little bit, but I would assume the general rule is they're very similar. That's how it is at my uni anyway, the first few years are very similar subject-wise, we have almost identical time tables, however physio is 4 years and sports ex is only 3. If you already have a sports ex degree, and you go back to the same uni it should be as simple as filling in a form to state you've already studied some of the content (and in this case the same subject even)

I also looked at changing my course from uni to another, and again it was as simple as filling in a form to state what subjects I had done, but i aso had to include the content it covered so they could match them up and not make me do the same subject under a different name. I didn't follow through on this change so I'm not sure how identical the two would have be to be considered the same.

Within a subject sometimes things can be slightly tailored to a certain course though. My anatomy lectures had students from sports ex, physio, speech pathology and OT, and at times the lecturer would give some information but then follow up with "I only expect the physio's to know to this depth though, so sports ex just learn this bit, physio cover it all." This also came up in exams, we had all exams the same except anatomy which was easier for us than them. But for the most part they are extremely similar, just be aware that there can be some slight differences between the two in that respect.

I hope this sort of helps a little bit, if not the easiest thing to do would be to just ring a uni you're thinking of going to, or even just the uni in your town and asking them questions.

I am doing my PhD in sports science and from what I know you do not need a masters degree to get into physiotherapy. It terms of how much a sports science degree can carry over to a physio degree, I believe that would depend on if any similar courses are done. Also it would depend on if you did the sports science degree at one uni and then went to another for physio. Ultimately a lot depends on what uni you would want to do it at.

mcuzzy

I also just remembered that for a good while my uni offered what is called grad-dip (I think, short for graduate diploma I'm fair sure) where if you have completed a sports science course, you can pretty much just tack on and extra 18 months and gain the extra stuff you would have learnt in physio. I'm not 100% sure on the details because my uni stopped offering the grad dip, but it was an option for a while. It's not a double degree, that's like doing two courses in one, this is like gaining a little extra on top. So if you've already got a sports science degree it might be worth looking into

Do you need a masters degree to be a physiotherapist?

Also if you have a bachelors degree in exercise science, how much of that goes towards the bachelor of physiotherapy?

I'm confused so my questions will probably confuse you.

Thanks.

Hi mcuzzy,

I have done exactly what you're asking so hopefully I can be of some help.

I started with personal training, then went on to complete a Bachelor of Exercise Science at VU, and finally finished my Masters of Physiotherapy at La Trobe last year.

Firstly, to answer your question, no, you do not need a masters degree to practice as a physio. Most courses, like the one I completed at La Trobe, are titled 'Masters' or 'Doctorate' when, in reality, they are just a glorified Bachelor degree with a fancy title. In fact, the first year of the 4 year Masters program is a common first year with other allied health disciplines (OT, SW, POD etc) which, from all reports, is a complete waste of a year and fees, so it could actually be argued that students who completed the old 4 year Bachelor degree in physio were better equipped as a Grade 1 than a new Masters graduate today.

Anyway, good news for you (well, maybe), is that having completed (completing) an Exercise Science undergad you have a few options.

1. Apply for 2 year graduate entry into the Master of Physiotherapy at Latrobe: This is what I was lucky enough to do. Graduate entry allows you to enter into the 3rd year of the 4 year course. The Bachelor of Ex science is prob one of the best degrees to set you up for this, but there is still a shortfall for the min requirements to gain access to even apply so I guess it depends on how much you really want to be a physio with this choice as you will need to complete a number of miscellaneous subjects to meet the strict criteria.
You will need to look at the La Trobe website as the criteria for entry may have changed since I applied but basically there were 5 core subjects that you MUST have completed to even apply and another 15 or so 'desirable' subjects to strengthen your application. Your GPA must be fairly solid from Ex Science (can't remember exact figure) but what I do remember is that the you must have a min score of 75% for the core subjects that must have been completed.
One thing you must complete is more anatomy and neuroanatomy as what you learn in Ex science is not nearly enough. The other subjects I picked up were pharmacology and pathology so it ended up costing me around $2500 per subject (about $10k in total as I picked up pharma/pathology as a double) as they are not under HECS is you pick them as a miscellaneous.
This is the quickest but hardest way to get in so spending the $$ on these extra subjects is a bit of a gamble. When I got in I recall the course coordinator telling me that there were 490 applicants and only 8 positions granted, which I assume has only grown since.

2. Apply for the 3 year Doctorate of Physiotherapy at Melbourne. Once again, it is a doctorate, but really a glorified undergrad and, in fact, Melbourne have already stated that (for now) their students will not be taking the title of Doctor upon graduating, even thought the actual title of Doctor is not protected in Australia so anyone can basically call themselves a doctor if they so wish (hello Chiro's!). Anyway, this avenue is much easier to get into as the intake numbers are greater and the entry standards (grades and prior learning required) are not as high. However, unlike La Trobe, it is an interview based process once you have made the short list and it is an extra year longer than La Trobe which equates to more time and fees.

3. Apply for another allied health course at La Trobe (OT, POD etc) put in an awesome first year (prob going to need 85%+) and apply for transfer into second year of the Health Science/Master of Physio double. This option is quite popular but very difficult as not many numbers drop out of physio end of first year

4. Apply for course interstate. From memory most interstate course entry requirements are not as high as Melbourne. A friend, who's Ex Science grades weren't great but he got into an Adelaide uni (can't recall which one) quite easily.

So yeah, I guess it depends how much you want it. Hope this info helps.

Need any more help or have any questions just fire away and hopefully I can help

Was just about to post a thread very similar.
I am currently doing a PE teaching course in Ballarat and am in my 3rd year with one year to go after this one.
I plan on finishing the course, but am very intrigued about how I could possibly then cross over to physiotherapy once finished the PE one.
Any information on this at all? I know the GPA is 5.5 which i currently have.

I am currently doing a PE teaching course in Ballarat and am in my 3rd year with one year to go after this one.
I plan on finishing the course, but am very intrigued about how I could possibly then cross over to physiotherapy once finished the PE one.

Where do you live?

Not as easy as transitioning from sport ex into physio, but P.E teaching will have a little bit of overlap. I cant say for sure how it would go but at my uni it would be something like this...

- You finish your teaching degree
- You apply and are accepted into physio
- You request a form that you can fill in saying you've already done some subjects (At my uni some subjects are exactly the same, I have both physios and p.e teachers in my classes. And some are very similar, I did a "foundation psychology" subject and education will do a "developmental psychology" which covers 90% the same material)

If you get enough subjects to line up you could shave a year off the physio degree. Best thing to do would be see an academic adviser about it, or even just look into the subjects that physios do on your uni website, and see how similar they are to you own. Cross off any that overlap and see how long the rest will take you.

I live in Ballarat ATM

follow this link for information re graduate entry into year 3 of 4 year La Trobe course

Scroll down and click on Master of Physiotherapy Practice then click on "supplementary form". This will give you more info on the prerequisites needed

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/physiotherapy/postgraduate

Secondly you could apply for the 3 year course at Melbourne. Easier to get into, but a year longer

http://physioth.unimelb.edu.au/entry_to_practice/doctor_of_physiotherapy/pathways_to_the_dphysio

(Log in to remove this ad.)

follow this link for information re graduate entry into year 3 of 4 year La Trobe course

Scroll down and click on Master of Physiotherapy Practice then click on "supplementary form". This will give you more info on the prerequisites needed

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/physiotherapy/postgraduate

Secondly you could apply for the 3 year course at Melbourne. Easier to get into, but a year longer

http://physioth.unimelb.edu.au/entry_to_practice/doctor_of_physiotherapy/pathways_to_the_dphysio

Not as easy as transitioning from sport ex into physio, but P.E teaching will have a little bit of overlap. I cant say for sure how it would go but at my uni it would be something like this...

- You finish your teaching degree
- You apply and are accepted into physio
- You request a form that you can fill in saying you've already done some subjects (At my uni some subjects are exactly the same, I have both physios and p.e teachers in my classes. And some are very similar, I did a "foundation psychology" subject and education will do a "developmental psychology" which covers 90% the same material)

If you get enough subjects to line up you could shave a year off the physio degree. Best thing to do would be see an academic adviser about it, or even just look into the subjects that physios do on your uni website, and see how similar they are to you own. Cross off any that overlap and see how long the rest will take you.

So I have looked into re graduate entry and it seems like it is extremely difficult to get into, especially considering I am coming from a PE course and not Exercise Sci. Would I have a better chance of applying to the 4 year physio course straight out, and trying to get enough credit points to get it down to 3 years? Also what universities are the easiest to get into for physiotherapy? Preferably in Victoria, but open to others outside of Vic

Thanks a heap for all the help

So I have looked into re graduate entry and it seems like it is extremely difficult to get into, especially considering I am coming from a PE course and not Exercise Sci. Would I have a better chance of applying to the 4 year physio course straight out, and trying to get enough credit points to get it down to 3 years? Also what universities are the easiest to get into for physiotherapy? Preferably in Victoria, but open to others outside of Vic

To be honest I really don't know. I've only recently found out as mates have tried to change that physio is pretty hard to get into, my uni up here in Townsville actually doesn't accept transfers into physio (or med, or vet I think) and has a written application. But either way once your in it works the same about not repeating any subjects (You'd of probably done a psych subject in Ed so no need to re do it. Freud hasn't changed his mind since you did it last)

As for which Uni's are good/easy, I have absolutely no idea. As I said I'm up in here in Townsville studying and the only two I looked at were JCU Townsville, and CQU in Mackay

Getting into physio is really tough mate. The enter score is so high due to its popularity.

As for gaining credit points, it really depends on course structures and the policy of each University. All I can tell you is that I completed Exercise Science with fairly solid grades and still couldn't get in straight up. Was also told that if I did get in that I could only get a few credits, enough to lighten the first year work load but not enough to skip a year.

I hate to say it, but your best option may be to complete an Ex sci undergrad and try for graduate entry. Your PE background will prob allow for more credits in Ex Sci than physio, but you will really need to knuckle down and aim for a 75-80% average at minimum as it is getting harder each year. Also, once finished the Ex Sci you will need a gap fill year to complete some miscellaneous subjects in anatomy, pharmacology, pathology and neuro-anatomy, as even though Ex Sci is a great launching pad, it is still not enough to equip you with the required knowledge to go straight into third year.

So, you obviously need to be sure that this is what you really want to do as it is a bit of a journey. It took me 6 years to get there as my enter score wasn't great but I eventually made and now love what I do.

My advice to you would be to call each Uni, speak to the department, tell them what you have completed and they can advise you what your best course of action would be to gain admittance. They will be up front and honest about where you stand (well, at least they were when I went through all this).

Finally, You need to be willing to travel. There are other Uni's interstate that are easier to get into, a friend of mine went over to Adelaide (Uni name escapes me) for 3 years as the entry requirements weren't as tough as Vic Uni's. Pick up a copy of VTAC (or whatever they call it these days) and you will find where physio is offered, and the entry requirements.

Hope that helps ;)

Getting into physio is really tough mate. The enter score is so high due to its popularity.

As for gaining credit points, it really depends on course structures and the policy of each University. All I can tell you is that I completed Exercise Science with fairly solid grades and still couldn't get in straight up. Was also told that if I did get in that I could only get a few credits, enough to lighten the first year work load but not enough to skip a year.

I hate to say it, but your best option may be to complete an Ex sci undergrad and try for graduate entry. Your PE background will prob allow for more credits in Ex Sci than physio, but you will really need to knuckle down and aim for a 75-80% average at minimum as it is getting harder each year. Also, once finished the Ex Sci you will need a gap fill year to complete some miscellaneous subjects in anatomy, pharmacology, pathology and neuro-anatomy, as even though Ex Sci is a great launching pad, it is still not enough to equip you with the required knowledge to go straight into third year.

So, you obviously need to be sure that this is what you really want to do as it is a bit of a journey. It took me 6 years to get there as my enter score wasn't great but I eventually made and now love what I do.

My advice to you would be to call each Uni, speak to the department, tell them what you have completed and they can advise you what your best course of action would be to gain admittance. They will be up front and honest about where you stand (well, at least they were when I went through all this).

Finally, You need to be willing to travel. There are other Uni's interstate that are easier to get into, a friend of mine went over to Adelaide (Uni name escapes me) for 3 years as the entry requirements weren't as tough as Vic Uni's. Pick up a copy of VTAC (or whatever they call it these days) and you will find where physio is offered, and the entry requirements.

Hope that helps ;)

Ok, so I've taken on your advice and some from a few others at Uni. Decided I am just going to try get into the full 4 year course, apply at all unis that do the course across Australia and pray that one accepts me. I still have a lot of research to do, and hoping I can pick up a few extra subjects next year to help with all this. Any extra advice? Seems so difficult to get in contact with people who actually have some idea what they are talking about, probably because my situation is so unique. I have rang a handful of universities but none of them have been able to offer any help, refer me back to their websites which again have no info I'm looking for. Thanks again for all the help, can't express how appreciative I am

Ok, so I've taken on your advice and some from a few others at Uni. Decided I am just going to try get into the full 4 year course, apply at all unis that do the course across Australia and pray that one accepts me. I still have a lot of research to do, and hoping I can pick up a few extra subjects next year to help with all this. Any extra advice? Seems so difficult to get in contact with people who actually have some idea what they are talking about, probably because my situation is so unique. I have rang a handful of universities but none of them have been able to offer any help, refer me back to their websites which again have no info I'm looking for. Thanks again for all the help, can't express how appreciative I am

No probs TV, all the best with your applications. I don't have any more advice for you at this stage but if you have any questions in future feel free to ask and hopefully I can help you.

Keep us updated with your progress :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back