News Riley Bonner departs for St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know jack s**t about the boy we drafted, or any other within that level of expectancy, but the club did me proud by picking a local. The odds of kids playing better in their own back-yard than elsewhere surely has to be so much higher?

Well done and thank you to the recruiting staff.

:$

Doesn't pay to be insular.

Exactly. Why did we waste that late pick (55) on unknown VicTorian Robert Gray only to miss out on local boy Nick Gill.
Some clever little fokkers here, with the benefit of hindsight, isn't there?

I'll rephrase my thoughts .... with pick 37 or whatever, well it doesn't come along with too much expectation. Yes, it's a raffle (even at #1 Jack Watts), but a raffle ticket from the bottom of the barrel, and I like locals. Maybe a few here not proud of, or have much confidence of what's coming through in our own back yard?

I'll rephrase my thoughts .... with pick 37 or whatever, well it doesn't come along with too much expectation. Yes, it's a raffle (even at #1 Jack Watts), but a raffle ticket from the bottom of the barrel, and I like locals. Maybe a few here not proud of, or have much confidence of what's coming through in our own back yard?
It's not really a matter of confidence once you've assessed what's available. If there is a better talent from another state still available, we take it. Our current captain is a Vic, and has been one of our best few players, if not the best player for us, over the past 5 or so years. Yeah, it's great when we pick an SA lad and they turn out fine, but to ignore talent from interstate for the sake of picking a local is poor operation for an AFL club.

I'd say it's more that we consider it pretty much irrelevant whether they come from 'our backyard' or not.

Worrying about picking players from your home state is for s**t clubs with s**t cultures who can't retain interstate players. We don't have that problem. If anything we're more likely to get the SA kids back in a couple of years than we are to lose the Vic kids.

It's not really a matter of confidence once you've assessed what's available. If there is a better talent from another state still available, we take it. Our current captain is a Vic, and has been one of our best few players, if not the best player for us, over the past 5 or so years. Yeah, it's great when we pick an SA lad and they turn out fine, but to ignore talent from interstate for the sake of picking a local is poor operation for an AFL club.
We're talking pick 37 in a draft considered by experts as extremely thin! Obviously only time will tell but let's take a look back in 10 years time and see how many past pick 20 make a real name for themselves!

For what it's worth, I totally and utterly support our club's recent activity in trading for proven players, over youth, the last two drafts. Bearing in mind, only 1 out of 6 in draftees really have a major impact!

We're talking pick 37 in a draft considered by experts as extremely thin! Obviously only time will tell but let's take a look back in 10 years time and see how many past pick 20 make a real name for themselves!

For what it's worth, I totally and utterly support our club's recent activity in trading for proven players, over youth, the last two drafts. Bearing in mind, only 1 out of 6 in draftees really have a major impact!

Sure, late picks are speculative. So why increase the risk further by narrowing your potential choices?
Impey, Ah Chee, and Amon are all interstaters taken post-20 and they're working out very nicely. Not so for our last SA kid, Harvey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually cringe on this board when 90% of suggestions are local boys.

Not to mention the bland tryers that SA have on a production line.

Yeah and since our zones are gone the best thing that will come out of the Maggies or Academy team now will be rookie list prospects at best.

Haha, I was thinking Neville the last week or so, as the big colour photo of him in Inside Football, he has a nice deep tan!

Edit - Maybe I will call him Senator Bonner if he proves to be a good player.

I recalled lead guitarist Leroy 'Sugarfoot' Bonner

Sure, late picks are speculative. So why increase the risk further by narrowing your potential choices?
Impey, Ah Chee, and Amon are all interstaters taken post-20 and they're working out very nicely. Not so for our last SA kid, Harvey.

Spot on. We should want Port to pick the best available talent, not the best available from a pool of 7% of the country that's defined by some arbitrary lines on a map.

I'd be annoyed if I found out that we were limiting our search to just Australia, let alone South Australia.

My favourite player in the draft. Known him since he was 13.
Great aerobically and one of the sweetest left boots you will ever see.
That said, his right foot is better than most as well.
Very outside, but incredibly damaging with ball in hand. Half back, wing, half forward.

Great get. Wish him all the best.

My favourite player in the draft. Known him since he was 13.
Great aerobically and one of the sweetest left boots you will ever see.
That said, his right foot is better than most as well.
Very outside, but incredibly damaging with ball in hand. Half back, wing, half forward.

Great get. Wish him all the best.

lead guitarist Leroy 'Sugarfoot' Bonner

Should be his nickname then ... ;)

Sugarfoot laces out a bullet pass to Dicko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back