Pick 4 - Who is your choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

As i've said previously, Bont was what I thought a very speculative pick especially with Aish just sitting there.

But sometimes you just gotta back the recruiters and staff (And black pup).

What a recruit. What a call.
Bolded being the operative word. Finally. We as a club dont do it enough. ( I dont call Rawlings/McDougall/various freo duds including Bandy and Koops as speculative just spectacularly stupid)
Clubs like doing it less and less.The outcome and public perception of a speculative pick being a dud is huge. Even the collateral damage of a dud is huge.Especially for a club like ours. So Kudos to the club.
Stringer in his year was also picked higher than expected. So I like our recruiting for the first time in many years to be honest. Bit of boldness. Bit of taking a chance. But with a reasoned calculated thought.
The great intangible about Bont is his growth.
Kids gonna be AFL's first 7 foot onballer.
(Granted Sandilands is this height but he will not kick 75 a year when he rests at full forward for spells during games)

I wanted Aish, but I'd imagine the " go home " factor played a significant part in not picking him. It looks like he'll bail out on Brisbane

I am computer illiterate and don't know how to go back to these posts, but I remember having quite a few robust posts with Dann as to why we should take Bontempelli.
I only had one other guy who agreed at the time who I now forget.
Bontempelli was 193cm back then, that is one of the many typing errors I make, the bloke had such strength and endurance and an elite kick the upside was to good to miss.
Drafts are a tough assignment, it would be great to have Wines and Aish but you cannot take them all.
This year coming in at 25 we have drafted really well I am so impressed with what I have seen of McLean, Webb, Hamilton, Dale, Daniel, and Roarke Smith all played well again on the weekend and show plenty of talent.
I believe Simon Dalrymple has done a mighty job again this year, we should include Hamling who will play round 1, and Biggs who has looked good and will play senior football this year.
Well done . I only saw Bonts play a decent last quarter in the under 18 champs, and fair to say it played a significant part in The pies trying to rise up the draft order to pick him.

Will I was wrong, I wanted Aish, so glad I don't have a say in drafting.
Would still have been a fantastic selection. Loved watching him last year.

Shame about the go-home factor, really. Would love to see him play out his career in #4 at Brisbane.

Well done . I only saw Bonts play a decent last quarter in the under 18 champs, and fair to say it played a significant part in The pies trying to rise up the draft order to pick him.

I saw a half of Webb in the champs and thought he was a bit special. So glad we drafed him let alone the midget with our last pick who was just awesome in the junior champs games.

Highlight packages can be very deceiving.

Exhibit A - this gigantic spud masquerading as a baby deer

So a few things out of that, he still misses his straight set shots to the right ;), that WA team was pretty good, be careful of the early maturing, oversized kids against other kids (Fyfe v Morabito) and finally

image.jpg

How the hell did Strauchanie get a gig as the WA waterboy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back