Pink Cricket ball farce

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't really give much thought to that argument did you? Before night football came into being for premiership points, we saw years of night competitions, development of the standard of the balls, players usually practiced at night, etc. None of that has happened here, it's just been a case of, we've got lights, here's the pink ball, now let's get on with it.

A batsman getting out because he can't see the ball, or a fieldsman dropping a dolly for the same reason are a lot more serious than someone dropping a mark. I remember playing night footy in the 70s when the ball was lacquered white and were so hard they could break your fingers. No way they could have played football for premiership points with those balls, so why make Test cricketers face a near green ball in failing light? It just doesn't make sense.
Your argument would be equally valid against playing one dayers at night

I'm willing to go into this with an open mind. CA is a spin driven wanky organisation, but I do think that this is worth exploring (and shelving if it is a disaster).

I'm willing to go into this with an open mind. CA is a spin driven wanky organisation, but I do think that this is worth exploring (and shelving if it is a disaster).
I'd be for it if the ball was not painted - but it's not and for me that makes it a fundamentally different game and mocks 140 years of tradition - it's not like day night cricket isn't already available

Didn't really give much thought to that argument did you? Before night football came into being for premiership points, we saw years of night competitions, development of the standard of the balls, players usually practiced at night, etc. None of that has happened here, it's just been a case of, we've got lights, here's the pink ball, now let's get on with it.

A batsman getting out because he can't see the ball, or a fieldsman dropping a dolly for the same reason are a lot more serious than someone dropping a mark. I remember playing night footy in the 70s when the ball was lacquered white and were so hard they could break your fingers. No way they could have played football for premiership points with those balls, so why make Test cricketers face a near green ball in failing light? It just doesn't make sense.
I agree. We should try playing cricket at night first. Perhaps some different version of the game though, just to make sure it's all well and good. Maybe some sort of limited overs version of the game?

I agree. We should try playing cricket at night first. Perhaps some different version of the game though, just to make sure it's all well and good. Maybe some sort of limited overs version of the game?

But that's a s**t comparison.

White balls don't have to last 80 overs.

http://bcove.me/u4x7wk6k

How the pink ball is made

I'm laughing at the comment that no Test ball has gone through the testing and developing that the pink ball has. Really? And here I was thinking the red ball had been tested and developed in the Test arena since 1877.

Has anyone posted the article where Sutherland's response to criticism from Hastings is "well we're actually past the testing phase, so it doesn't really matter what you think".

Has anyone posted the article where Sutherland's response to criticism from Hastings is "well we're actually past the testing phase, so it doesn't really matter what you think".

Well given we've already invited Pakistan to play a day/night test next year we can give up on pretending that this game against NZ is a trial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused as to why we need to revive Test Cricket. The games are still being played. Millions are watching via TV which is the way we have herded people to do so. I can't see many more watching if it's on at 7-10pm at night via either attendance or TV. So why torch 140 years of history for a gimmick that the benefits of which are unclear or at best contrived?

I guess they just want to say "at least we tried".

T20 it's gimmicky enough, lets add the pink ball to it

plus
Jess "can't sing before a horse race" Mauboy
Fireworks
Cheerleaders

bob's your uncle

Just leave the idea of day-night test cricket until we have a bowl that they developers believe will work, test it out in games such as the shield and if it works, bring it to the test match stage.
Its not just the ball, even wiyth a suitable ball some venues are not suitable.
But that's largely my point of view. Start with non-competition games (tour games, "A" games). Once the ball seems to work, trial it in Futures League, then in the Shield, and only once it has passed all those tests without the ball being changed (Kookaburra have produced a new attempt every year) play a Test with it.

For Melbourne, it doesn't matter. For Hobart play with the red ball and take advantage of the longer daylight hours. You can easily play until 7:30pm under natural light without changing the ball. Not a full session in prime time, but not far off without risking anything (other than an overcast day).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back