Pissing and moaning about the umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just stop it.

First it was my confreres - "Boo hoo, we lost after a contentious decision in the final minute."

Then it was the Eagle supporters - "We were behind all night, so don't you worry, we've got a list of contentious decisions of our own to share with you"

Then it's the neutrals, who fall into three categories:

1. North was robbed (I hate the Eagles)
2. North was robbed (I hate the umpires)
3. Suck it up North you umpire pets (I hate North).

I would say take it to the umpiring board, but I've never looked, maybe it's full of people having rational discussion and you wouldn't be welcome.

There is no conspiracy, the lot of you would be happier if you just accepted the vagaries of the umpiring the same as the bounce of the ball

I agree completely that there is no conspiracy. People who constantly talk as if they are being discriminated against are just doing a variation of poor me. As if life is taking aim at them somehow through their footy team.
What is annoying to me is the incredible inconsistency of the umpiring. take the current game between Essendon and Brisbane. After 7 rounds of allowing players to drop the ball in tackles they have decided today for no apparent reason to start paying this as a free. Why? Why today? Who makes this stuff up?
All reasonable people want is consistency and for the AFL to stop the constant tinkering.

I think the pissing and moaning about the umpiring these days is justified. Not about any particular game but football in general.
With all the rule changes and interpretations it has resulted in the worst period of officiating in my lifetime and I practised drop kicks as a kid..
Someone needs to do something about it as its out of control but the stupid thing is that the two most important groups of people, the players and the fans have absolutely no say in any of it at all, its an absolute joke.
They change one rule then another to fix problems from the rule before but no one wants to take the blame, just turn back the clock and leave the game the **** alone.

Ok I just noticed my post in a thread on the main board the thread has been moved here where no one reads or cares, dunno why I even made the effort.

Ok I just noticed my post in a thread on the main board the thread has been moved here where no one reads or cares, dunno why I even made the effort.
Yeah, I'm not to thrilled with the thread being moved. It's not about umpiring, it's about people's reactions. Particularly annoying that the thread about umpire's pets has stayed on the mb.

I think the pissing and moaning about the umpiring these days is justified. Not about any particular game but football in general.
With all the rule changes and interpretations it has resulted in the worst period of officiating in my lifetime and I practised drop kicks as a kid..
Someone needs to do something about it as its out of control but the stupid thing is that the two most important groups of people, the players and the fans have absolutely no say in any of it at all, its an absolute joke.
They change one rule then another to fix problems from the rule before but no one wants to take the blame, just turn back the clock and leave the game the **** alone.
This is a debate worth having, but in a wider context than "we wuz robbed"

Wow a thread with thought and logic, very sad that mods have moved this thread. There a lot of people(Mainly media) who are making themselves look really foolish over all this. I think even the one eyed Vic's are starting to realize, and its about time too. It's pretty embarrassing tbh.

I noticed the world champion of pissing and moaning about the umpires was at it again, recently

Paul Chapman took his whinging all the way to the top:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...andrew-demetriou/story-e6frg20u-1226645620583

Chapman has voiced his concerns with Demetriou about what he perceives is the over-umpired nature of the modern game. He is so passionate about the state of football he has been "thinking seriously" about trying to join the Rules Committee after he retires.

His priorities would be to remove the abundance of "tiggy-touchwood" free kicks and listen to the views of players, fans and coaches. He believes current interpretations are confusing and have the potential to erode some of the trademark physical traits of the game.

"We have to be careful to not take away every bit of physical contact from our game."

Chapman writes about Demetriou recently visiting the Cats to reinforce key AFL messages. Chapman then took the opportunity to have his say.

"I spoke up about the frustration that players were feeling.... To his credit, he listened...

"My view is that a lot of the easy free kicks that have been introduced should be stripped back. The game is over-officiated and it is confusing everyone.

This is the guy who spent much of his career staging for free kicks - diving forwards for "in the back" frees and lowering his knees & shrugging his shoulders in the tackle to milk the high contact.

Seems a tad hypocritical for Chappy to now be moaning about the game being over-umpired, especially after he has been gobbing off to umpires for the past 10 years for not giving him more free kicks.

i reckon the amount of frees paid these days is no more or less than in the last 30 years or so. it is just that the media talk about it more and the supporters can see a lot more due to the tv coverage. in the old days commentators rarely speculated on the frees during a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed the world champion of pissing and moaning about the umpires was at it again, recently

Paul Chapman took his whinging all the way to the top:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...andrew-demetriou/story-e6frg20u-1226645620583

This is the guy who spent much of his career staging for free kicks - diving forwards for "in the back" frees and lowering his knees & shrugging his shoulders in the tackle to milk the high contact.

Seems a tad hypocritical for Chappy to now be moaning about the game being over-umpired, especially after he has been gobbing off to umpires for the past 10 years for not giving him more free kicks.

An astute observation, Chapman always got more of the shrug - too high type frees than Joel Selwood. But a concerted media effort (including the video presented my Eddie McG to the AFL) on Selwood has everyone thinking he was the main 'culprit', and thinking you should be able to rip his head off now at any opportunity. Classic case of people not being able to think for themselves.

Overall there is too much whingeing about it though. I thought it wasn't too high on Krakouer at the end of the game on Saturday. Then again I thought we got a reasonable run before then. But you know what, you just deal with it, and enjoy the good parts of the footy.

Sooking about the umpires is a loser's game.

I agree 100% with OP, i'm tired of supporters my club included looking at the umpires straight after a loss and blaming them. Players make as many mistakes as umpires if not more, and we all have access to slow motion replays, which umpires don't, they have to make a decision on the spot. Shock horror umpires make mistakes, but supposedly they are not allowed to according to the general population, they are supposed to be perfect like the rest of us are :rolleyes:.

Try looking at the game as a whole, not one or two decisions.

i reckon the amount of frees paid these days is no more or less than in the last 30 years or so. it is just that the media talk about it more and the supporters can see a lot more due to the tv coverage. in the old days commentators rarely speculated on the frees during a game
It's actually gone down. In 1983 the average was 73 frees per game. That was pretty much a continuation of 1970s style games and throughout the 80s the number of frees per game decreased until it was about 50 a game by 1990. By the mid-90s it was 40 a game, and at the time of Brisbane's threepeat it was the lowest it's been (in recent times anyway) at 30 a game. It's climbed back a bit since then, but last years 37 a game is half what it was in 1983.

Here's something interesting that came up in the thread about the Melbourne runner getting involved in the melee:

wow that is a lot in the modern day. when was the last time someone conceded 8 in a game?

looking at *Paul* web-site there is a fair few 10+ back in the 70's and 80's there was 60+ free kicks just about every game (imagine the whinging on bigfooty if that happened now)

or this game:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1978/030419780513.html

118 free kicks.

and people think umpires are trying to impose themselves on the spectacle these days.

Oh, and if you're wondering why a post about free kick counts appeared in a thread about the Melbourne runner trying to pull push-up out of a melee, it's because just about every thread on the MB degenerates to people whinging about the umpiring.

It's actually gone down. In 1983 the average was 73 frees per game. That was pretty much a continuation of 1970s style games and throughout the 80s the number of frees per game decreased until it was about 50 a game by 1990. By the mid-90s it was 40 a game, and at the time of Brisbane's threepeat it was the lowest it's been (in recent times anyway) at 30 a game. It's climbed back a bit since then, but last years 37 a game is half what it was in 1983.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/teamshi.html#hc12

List of most frees in a match (both teams)... every game from 70's or early 80's.

Now that site doesn't have free kick counts recorded prior to 1975 (I'd say most likely they weren't recorded or they'd be in there)... One would assume the free kicks were just as bad prior to that.

Probably puts a lot of the whingeing about umpires into perspective.

Oh, and if you're wondering why a post about free kick counts appeared in a thread about the Melbourne runner trying to pull push-up out of a melee, it's because just about every thread on the MB degenerates to people whinging about the umpiring.

Your thread is a glimpse into the bunch of idiots that are the general big footy football supporter demographic.

A sensible thread created by a North supporter (respect) and it gets moved and has like 20 replys. Start a thread after an Eagles game with the heading "Eagles arm chair ride at home" and you get 500 responses.

Just stop it.

First it was my confreres - "Boo hoo, we lost after a contentious decision in the final minute."

Then it was the Eagle supporters - "We were behind all night, so don't you worry, we've got a list of contentious decisions of our own to share with you"

Then it's the neutrals, who fall into three categories:

1. North was robbed (I hate the Eagles)
2. North was robbed (I hate the umpires)
3. Suck it up North you umpire pets (I hate North).

I would say take it to the umpiring board, but I've never looked, maybe it's full of people having rational discussion and you wouldn't be welcome.

There is no conspiracy, the lot of you would be happier if you just accepted the vagaries of the umpiring the same as the bounce of the ball

The worst is the Geelong coach by far IMO, probably for political reasons!

Wouldn't call that pissing and moaning.

Halfway through the 1900 season, Condon was appointed captain of Collingwood. In his new role as captain, he gave the umpires an even harder time.
He abused field umpire Bill Freame on 7 July 1900 continuously throughout the match against South Melbourne Football Club at the Lake Oval after a number of decisions went against the Magpies; he was suspended for three weeks by the VFL. Two weeks later, whilst still under VFL suspension, he got into a fist-fight with teammate Arthur Robson in the middle of Collingwood's three-quarter time huddle; the pair had to be restrained by the umpires, teammates and Collingwood club officials.
On 1 September 1900, during Collingwood's second round-robin finals match against Geelong Football Club at the Corio Oval, Condon became so upset with the umpiring of Dick Gibson[3] during the last quarter of the match that he lost his temper and signalled for his teammates to follow him off the Corio Oval, also demanding that the Collingwood match committee order the Collingwood players from the field; after umpire Gibson threatened to report the entire Collingwood team for bringing the game into disrepute, the Collingwood committee refused to do so and instead ordered Condon and the team to either return to the field, or be expelled from the club. At that stage Collingwood was a point ahead of Geelong, but Condon's behaviour so unsettled his team that it did not score again, and lost to Geelong 6.8 (44) to 4.7 (31). It was the loss in this match that eliminated Collingwood from premiership calculations in that year.
In the final match of the three round-robin match series the following week, Collingwood played against Melbourne Football Club at the Lake Oval. The field umpire for the match, Henry "Ivo" Crapp, was considered to be the most experienced umpire in the competition.[4] After a decision went against the Magpies in the first quarter, Condon abused Crapp throughout the remainder of the match, culminating in his infamous barrage of insults involving the umpire's daughter.
He was reported for his conduct, and the VFL Investigative Committee immediately suspended Condon for life. A newspaper report of 17 September 1900 suggested that Condon would now be able to "spend the rest of his days thinking about the joy and glory of his lost future in the game", observed that 'Collingwood has turned away from him", and noted that "club discipline has outweighed any sympathy for a fallen hero",[5] provided additional details of the incident:
[The third match of the round-robin series against Melbourne was] umpired by an experienced man in H. "Ivo" Crapp. Condon would not leave Crapp alone all day. He sealed his fate when he was free-kicked for tripping a Melbourne man in the second quarter and said to Crapp: "Your girl's a bloody whore."​
We may be left only memories of this man who made a specialty of twisting in the air as he took a mark, hitting the ground running towards goal. He could pick the ball up with each hand with equal sureness, and kick accurately, short or long, with both feet. He was fast, had tremendous balance, and was the best man in the game at getting out of trouble — except for his mouth.[6]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back