Politics & Government Police Brutality

Will this be a catalyst for real change or will it be more of the same?

• Change

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • More of the same

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This shooting would never have happened if we had lax gun laws like in America.
What? Why? He wouldve had access to the gun either way, legal or not. The only thing I can think of is someone who was in the area and armed may have been able to neutralise him

What? Why? He wouldve had access to the gun either way, legal or not. The only thing I can think of is someone who was in the area and armed may have been able to neutralise him
As far as I'm aware, it was outside a police station.
Are you advocating that the community would be safer if we had running gun battles between civilians?

List the gun massacres in Australia since Port Arthur.
You don't understand my point, Australia is a completely different culture to America. Even in the worst suburbs you're still relatively safe and pretty unlikely you'll be accosted or hassled by some grub. Go and walk through Compton, Detroit or Camden and see how you go.

Basically, Australia is a fundamentally less violent and dangerous culture and people than the US.

It was outside a police station (who I presume were armed) the Muslim still killed a police accountant or something. How do you presume that if this happened in America he wouldn't have killed anyone? I genuinely don't understand your point
Again.
List the massacres in Australia since Port Arthur. Then list the massacres in America since that time.
Not rocket science.

Basically, Australia is a fundamentally less violent and dangerous culture and people than the US.
Take their guns off them and you'll find it a fair bit safer. Just like what happened in Australia.

People who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
That's why we have people from the same political bent who argued that tobacco and asbestos weren't harmful, now arguing the toss regarding the science around global warming. They've been fooled by the same tricks used by big tobacco and Hardy industries.
Can you imagine that so many people are so naive and stupid?

Again.
List the massacres in Australia since Port Arthur. Then list the massacres in America since that time.
Not rocket science.

Because Americans has way more thugs and criminals. South Africa has similar gun laws to us but 49 people are murdered there every day, way worse than America.

If you have s**t people you're going to have a lot more murder and violence.

Be glad you live in such a relaxed and tolerant country with a non-violent population.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pathetic that is. The ones in denial in the US about their problems are white trash Americans and deeply religious ones. It's disturbing reading the comments on US news pages and sports pages on Facebook and see these types speak as though they can talk about what African Americans deal with when the police are involved.

It's bad here too. Not to the point where cops are pulling the trigger for the most vague of reasons, but I'd be fairly certain they get away with a bit.

The latest video doing the rounds is Huntington Beach police. How that is anything but murder is beyond me!!

Yes the guy who got shot looks like a tool and yes he grabs something from the officers belt. He definitely puts himself in a vulnerable position.

But the police officer goes from on top of him and in a relatively controlled position, then decided to get off him, take aim, put six bullets in him, then for good measure a seventh as he was staggering around.

Won't post video but it's readily available searching Huntington beach police shooting.

The latest video doing the rounds is Huntington Beach police. How that is anything but murder is beyond me!!

Yes the guy who got shot looks like a tool and yes he grabs something from the officers belt. He definitely puts himself in a vulnerable position.

But the police officer goes from on top of him and in a relatively controlled position, then decided to get off him, take aim, put six bullets in him, then for good measure a seventh as he was staggering around.

Won't post video but it's readily available searching Huntington beach police shooting.

I'm not normally a cop basher but that video was disgusting. Worst was the 6 shots in the back at close range.
It was obvious the perp was incapacited after the first shot, to drill another 6 into him was disgusting.
Criminals deserve everything they get in my opinion, they choose to break the law, however this was brutal and in no way a case of self defence for the cop.
I have no doubt he will not be held to account for his actions though, just like the vermin that shot and killed the Australian woman.

Because Americans has way more thugs and criminals. South Africa has similar gun laws to us but 49 people are murdered there every day, way worse than America.

If you have s**t people you're going to have a lot more murder and violence.

Be glad you live in such a relaxed and tolerant country with a non-violent population.
Even if you're silly enough to believe that, look at the suicide statistics amongst men post Port Arthur.

I'm not normally a cop basher but that video was disgusting. Worst was the 6 shots in the back at close range.
It was obvious the perp was incapacited after the first shot, to drill another 6 into him was disgusting.
Criminals deserve everything they get in my opinion, they choose to break the law, however this was brutal and in no way a case of self defence for the cop.
I have no doubt he will not be held to account for his actions though, just like the vermin that shot and killed the Australian woman.
I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but the issue with police brutality over there is you do with training. The average American police officer has nineteen weeks of training before being allowed to patrol the streets. Victorian police receive 31 weeks training, then more on the job training on top of that, plus they've had to pass far more rigorous psychological and aptitude tests. American police forces on average are too small to recruit properly like we do, that's why they're so prone to violence.

I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but the issue with police brutality over there is you do with training. The average American police officer has nineteen weeks of training before being allowed to patrol the streets. Victorian police receive 31 weeks training, then more on the job training on top of that, plus they've had to pass far more rigorous psychological and aptitude tests. American police forces on average are too small to recruit properly like we do, that's why they're so prone to violence.
Their cops are extremely trigger-happy, which is also a reflection of the rest of US society. They've managed to get themselves into a situation where a citizen can't talk to a cop without fearing being shot, and a cop can't talk to a citizen without fear of being shot either.

they do realise that it's impossible to 'relax' when a campaigner is pointing a gun/taser at you, right?

also why on earth would that pig think that the kid would have any reason to trust him after watching him do that to his dad?

I'm a pretty big defender of our coppers, especially the guys and gals out here. It's a tough job.
But jesus those vids, especially the one with the guy getting tasered 50 million times, are deeply disturbing.

Back