News Port Adelaide have applied to join the VFL by 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd let Adelaide in, not sold on Port.

Let it go mate.... ferball same with you. Let your hatred towards Port Power go. lol

Yes What Jason Horne francis did was Bad, Walked out on North Melbourne after one season. North got well compensated on the JHF trade.

Plus the Port Fans are still suffering having Ken Hinkley as coach. lol

North fans you got your revenge on Port. lol

Western Bulldogs Reserves team is called Footscray.

I’d have no problem if Richmond Reserves were known as Wasps. More fun really if clubs go back to their roots in the reserves.

Well maybe let's not let Essendon use one of their nicknames prior to the Bombers 🙃

Let it go mate.... ferball same with you. Let your hatred towards Port Power go. lol

Yes What Jason Horne francis did was Bad, Walked out on North Melbourne after one season. North got well compensated on the JHF trade.

Plus the Port Fans are still suffering having Ken Hinkley as coach. lol

North fans you got your revenge on Port. lolNah.

Let 'em burn!

Burn I say!!

Why leave second tier footy to go play in a junior development comp that no one cares about winning?
Not sure it would be a big deal to the WAFL and SANFL, they will still be the second tier of footy just as they are now.

Why leave second tier footy to go play in a junior development comp that no one cares about winning?
Not sure it would be a big deal to the WAFL and SANFL, they will still be the second tier of footy just as they are now.
Not sure about the wafl, but the sanfl has been terrible for over a decade. The new east coast league is definitely a step up

Not sure about the wafl, but the sanfl has been terrible for over a decade. The new east coast league is definitely a step up

Not according to a bloke drafted two years ago from the WAFL, I am mates with his Dad and he has told me the young fella said the WAFL is levels above the VFL. Chalk and cheese.
I don't watch the VFL so I don't know on my own optics. But I do see the AFl clubs seconds here and if the other AFL clubs are anything to go by then it's just about getting a hit out and devlopment, it's not a real dinkum comp for the AFl clubs.

Because the SANFL insists that we can only use "C grade amateur league players" as top ups to field a side. Hardly a good environment to develop a playing group.

Because the SANFL insists that we can only use "C grade amateur league players" as top ups to field a side. Hardly a good environment to develop a playing group.

If they are playing against seasoned men then it’s the ideal place to develop them. Port don’t care about winning the two’s so what’s the problem?
And no need to exaggerate, A grade amateurs maybe. You can’t expect the other SANFL clubs are going to allow you to recruit their best players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are playing against seasoned men then it’s the ideal place to develop them. Port don’t care about winning the two’s so what’s the problem?
And no need to exaggerate, A grade amateurs maybe. You can’t expect the other SANFL clubs are going to allow you to recruit their best players?
It’s about wanting a semi level playing field. Hard to do anything properly when we’re forced to have one arm tied behind our back playing kids and ammo’s footballers against hardened league footballers. They don’t want us there and we don’t want to be there.

Why not do conferences in the VFL?

4: Eagles, Dockers, Crows, Power
5: Swans, Giants, Lions, Suns, Southport
5: 4 Vic clubs, Tasmania
4: 4 Vic clubs

Conference teams play 2x plus X amount of other conference teams to = whatever number of games desired for H/A season.

6 conference winners + 10 best of the rest = top 16, seeded by W-L record.

Wk 1

QF 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5; EF 9 v 16, 10 v 15, 11 v 14, 12 v 13

Wk 2

QF losers v EF winners

Wk 3

QF winners v week 2 winners

Wk 4

Wk 3 winners play off

Wk 5

GF

Why not do conferences in the VFL?

4: Eagles, Dockers, Crows, Power
5: Swans, Giants, Lions, Suns, Southport
5: 4 Vic clubs, Tasmania

Conference teams play 2x plus X amount of other conference teams to = whatever number of games desired for H/A season.

6 conference winners + 10 best of the rest = top 16, seeded by W-L record.

Wk 1

QF 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5; EF 9 v 16, 10 v 15, 11 v 14, 12 v 13

Wk 2

QF losers v EF winners

Wk 3

QF winners v week 2 winners

Wk 4

Wk 3 winners play off

Wk 5

GF
Plan is reserve comp will separate from VFL.

Will only have AFL listed clubs.

VFL, WAFL, SANFL will then have no AFL listed players

Plan is reserve comp will separate from VFL.

Will only have AFL listed clubs.

VFL, WAFL, SANFL will then have no AFL listed players
But that would only leave Northern Bullants, Williamstown, Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, and Werribee, assuming Box Hill and Casey don't survive without being affiliated.

So that's 7 teams.

But if they kept Southport, and added Fitzroy, Ballarat, Canberra and joint NT/Cairns then they could have a decent 12 team comp where everyone plays twice.

Although spitting the reserves comp into two could be a good way to test the waters for expansion sides in the AFL.

Vic AFL clubs + 7 non-affiliate clubs and Fitzroy = 18 team comp.

Interstate AFL clubs + Tasmania, Southport, Canberra, joint NT/Cairns = 12 team comp with everyone playing twice.

No playoff between reserves VFL and AFL premiers as the Vic reserves teams would have a clear advantage having not travelled all year.

Somehow the story's gotten legs again.
Following a team that previously competed outside of the VFL and recently joined the league in 2021 has allowed me to see how integral it's been to the development of our draftees and academy players up here. So for that reason I think Port have a legitimate point about the way in which their young players are currently being developed against mostly state league sides made up of part time footballers who are likely tradies during the week as opposed to the AFL listed players that the VFL teams play against most weeks. Granted, the NEAFL/QAFL was never on the level of the SANFL or WAFL but it's undeniable that the VFL in its current form contains the most amount of high quality players that aren't competing in the AFL in any given week.

The Suns reserves will play against AFL listed players in 12 of 18 VFL games this year as opposed to Port Adelaide's 2 games against the Crows reserves over the course of their 18 game season. That's a massive difference in terms of exposure to high level opposition and I'm sure the player development at both the SA & WA clubs suffers as a result. Regular high level exposure is such a crucial part of player development and that's obviously been put to the side to appease the traditionalists that want to preserve the idea of a strong state league with tons of history. Letting the SA & WA teams enter what will most likely become a proper AFL reserves competition feels like the right thing to do for all parties going forward.

Its the standard of football we need to develop and you can do that with half the playing squad is filled with amateur footballers. We need to be able to select a stronger contingent of league level top up players which the SANFL prevents us to do. The SANFL is protecting their league from AFL dominance which doesn't serve our clubs best interest.

Wow for a club that respect tradition and their so called many flags and prison bar stuff.

They sure do make odd moves. They turn the back on the league that made them famous. Ditching their fellow adelaide supporters and Alberton.

Might as well tear down Alberton oval since power turned their back on there for the Victoria league.

Its the standard of football we need to develop and you can do that with half the playing squad is filled with amateur footballers. We need to be able to select a stronger contingent of league level top up players which the SANFL prevents us to do. The SANFL is protecting their league from AFL dominance which doesn't serve our clubs best interest.

That’s fine, off you go to play 3rd or 4th football then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back