Port Douglas vs North Cairns - Huge Fight

Remove this Banner Ad

hamburglar

Debutant
Feb 25, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
A few years back there was a massive fight before the 1st bounce of the Cairns comp GF.. It made national news..

Does anyone have any footage ?

''this is disgraceful, im never comin back to this sh*thole...im never comin back to this absolute sh*t hole, thats it for me, game set match'' HAHAHA

i remember this fight. the footage was all over the news so someone must have it. cant believe it isn't on youtube.

it was during the national anthem... premeditated. one team, absolute thugs just attacked the other like a street fight.

it was terrible and a serious blight on the game.

it also kicked off in the stands.

i could be wrong but i think the match was canceled and the premiership awarded to the team that was set upon.

North Cairns Tigers won the game and the Premiership.

AFL declared the premiership null and void in a petulant act of political correctness.

The Tigers still claim the flag and rightly so. There was no rule against biffo and if they had the money to take it to court they would be awarded it officially.

On a side note it did hurt the Tigers badly, and they are still only recovering now.

Having said that I think they are the only club in Cairns AFL who own there own oval and club rooms.

AFL declared the premiership null and void in a petulant act of political correctness.

The Tigers still claim the flag and rightly so. There was no rule against biffo and if they had the money to take it to court they would be awarded it officially.

On a side note it did hurt the Tigers badly, and they are still only recovering now.

Having said that I think they are the only club in Cairns AFL who own there own oval and club rooms.

so they were the team that charged the team and attacked them before the ball was bounced?

Yep that's right.

They did plead rascist provocation, but, I dont think that went very far.

Port Douglas v North Cairns are pretty fiery games still.

More than a bit of Biffo, and Norths premeditated the attack. As soon as the anthem was finished, the North players headed straight over to Port and started. They even hired bouncers/security guards/general tough blokes as water boys so they could join in too.

Norths did not under any circumstances deserve that flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More than a bit of Biffo, and Norths premeditated the attack. As soon as the anthem was finished, the North players headed straight over to Port and started. They even hired bouncers/security guards/general tough blokes as water boys so they could join in too.

got to agree. what they did that day was low.. there were a lot of young kids playing in the opposition side. To just run over and start attacking a team while they are lined up the national anthem for no good reason just isn´t in the spirit of the game and is no different from bashing people on the street.

I bet a lot of people were turned away from AFL that day.

and i´m one who hates the way the game has gone at AFL level but acts of thuggery such as this is the reason why. :confused:

how what happened, what were the repercussions of it all ?

Thats the first Ive heard of this hiring of tough blokes to be the water boys.

Rules are rules, and nowhere did it say that the result of a match could be overturned because of blokes getting reported. There has been plenty of premeditated fights before the Grand Final has started in nearly every league. There have been plenty of reported players in Grand Finals. There have been plenty of premeditated all in brawls in Grand Finals. Hell I've been in a few in my day when a team was getting a run on and a punch on would be started to stop the run.

If no cameras had been there nothing would have ever happened at all.

You would obviously be happy to go to court and have them change the law on you AFTER your trial and then come back and jail you.

AFL screwing a Tiger team.

That's new.:D

Thats the first Ive heard of this hiring of tough blokes to be the water boys.

Rules are rules, and nowhere did it say that the result of a match could be overturned because of blokes getting reported. There has been plenty of premeditated fights before the Grand Final has started in nearly every league. There have been plenty of reported players in Grand Finals. There have been plenty of premeditated all in brawls in Grand Finals. Hell I've been in a few in my day when a team was getting a run on and a punch on would be started to stop the run.

If no cameras had been there nothing would have ever happened at all.

You would obviously be happy to go to court and have them change the law on you AFTER your trial and then come back and jail you.

yeah ive seen loads of brawls in GF before as well usually at the start..someone gets hit hard or high and people jump in and a mellee ensues... all the gf tension is let out and players get on with playing the game but NOT a a team lined up and the others just run over and start bashing them... it was pretty disgraceful really...whatever they got they deserved.

there was also a full on one in country south australia (whyalla) when the star full forward got king hit when the ballw as up the other end. bloke smashed his jaw and the crowd all ran on and went crazy.game was cancelled. the guy who did it was run out of town.

I was up in Cairns travelling around for that summer, and had just got up there a week before this gf.
Was all over the news for weeks.

Whilst i know there are pre meditated things that have happened before, this was on a completely different level to ANYTHING i've ever seen or heard.

Was so blatantly planned and was one of the more vicious brawls i've ever seen....

From memory the premiership result was put on hold whist an investigation was held, and that took about 4 months.
And i'm pretty sure Nth Cairns won by around 90points on the day but had the flag stripped.

I have looked high and low for footage of this as i've told a few people about it, but can't find it anywhere....was all over the tv up there for a couple of weeks, replayed, showed parts of the crowd fight etc, but seemingly not one person has posted it anywhere....was 2004 so surely someone posted it somewhere.

I lived in Port about 5 years ago and the Nth Cairns V Port game was talked up by locals and visitors alike.
I went to the first one,a home game at Port and apart from the awesome quality of footy,was the unbridled hatred these two clubs and fans alike had for each other.
From memory there were alot of brothers in each side which only helped to fuel the hatred and tit for tat behind the play biffo,that was on display.We stuck pretty close to our car,as it seemed the soup could boil over at any given time.
I think Nth. Cairns won on the day and have to hand it to all the guys that play in that league and dont go ape-s**t violent up there cause is damn hot and muggy all year round.They are definately all completely TROPPO.:D
If you're ever up that way checkin out the reef,make sure its when these to clubs go head to head:thumbsu:

i remember this fight. the footage was all over the news so someone must have it. cant believe it isn't on youtube.

it was during the national anthem... premeditated. one team, absolute thugs just attacked the other like a street fight.

it was terrible and a serious blight on the game.

it also kicked off in the stands.

i could be wrong but i think the match was canceled and the premiership awarded to the team that was set upon.
Man U don't know s**t from clay

got to agree. what they did that day was low.. there were a lot of young kids playing in the opposition side. To just run over and start attacking a team while they are lined up the national anthem for no good reason just isn´t in the spirit of the game and is no different from bashing people on the street.

I bet a lot of people were turned away from AFL that day.

and i´m one who hates the way the game has gone at AFL level but acts of thuggery such as this is the reason why. :confused:
find out facts before posting s**t you know nothing about

Remove this Banner Ad

Back