Positives from tonights match??

Remove this Banner Ad

Vickery was not good at all. But he's a very tall kid and they usually take a few years to develop. He's mobile for his size so hopefully in 2011 or 2012 he can be the running ruckman we need.

Simmonds was well beaten last night but geez, we need him. Right now he's ahead of Vickery, Graham and Browne.

Vickery was not good at all. But he's a very tall kid and they usually take a few years to develop. He's mobile for his size so hopefully in 2011 or 2012 he can be the running ruckman we need.

Simmonds was well beaten last night but geez, we need him. Right now he's ahead of Vickery, Graham and Browne.
Which makes the decision to delist Pattison absolutely staggering for me.
At least Pattison will provide a contest and can at least take a mark. Simmonds offers nothing now (was a good player, not anymore). Graham is unknown still and Browne has only played one game and is miles off the pace.
We could have used Pattison last night and this year in my opinion. No, he won't get us to where to want to go, but neither will Simmonds.

All the kids played reasonably well and there is alot to look forward to imo.
The Tiges looked and played shellshocked after the blues quick start,but made us pay for our pathetic hold the game up style of play,commendable!.
The biggest positive for me for you guys,was watching how obviously hurt and passionate Hardwick is.He will weed out the weak and instill the toughest of ethic in the kids and then, we will see the Tiges rise to take their rightful place back up the ladder.
Unlike some of the bay 13 tossers,i think the new 3-5 whatever plan will work with Hardwick,he was a genuine hard-nut,something Wallace never was.:thumbsu:
Give it some time boys.I know its all been said before but the faithful must remain.
Given that youre building a new squad,new facilities,new CEO,coach, etc etc have faith!.:)

Did anyone count the amount of times we forced the Blues into a slowdown chip it around the backline style of play? Watching the game live I didn't really think about it, but on reflection that is something that was actually quite new to us. In the past sides would have just got the ball in their backline and gone bang and rushed it forward, while our players struggled to get back. I guess that is another positive we can take out of the night.

Did anyone count the amount of times we forced the Blues into a slowdown chip it around the backline style of play? Watching the game live I didn't really think about it, but on reflection that is something that was actually quite new to us. In the past sides would have just got the ball in their backline and gone bang and rushed it forward, while our players struggled to get back. I guess that is another positive we can take out of the night.

yes it was a nice thing to watch...we stopped them going down the guts at 100 kms an hour...we gave them the other way to go in at 300 kms an hour once they had time to rest..since we allowed them time to relax...no need to run....take a few deep breaths boys...and when you are ready run into the space and job done...our players didnt struggle getting back, but they were ****ed when a lead was made 1 meter away from them when they got back....liek WTF were you watching? the only time we looked like it is when we went one on one, after that we were completely ****ed...and thats not bagging the game plan its purely the cold hard facts on what unfolded...If damien has faith in the plan then he will live or die by the sword on how that plan evolves...i would suggest he would be ok with that if he is on the level with us.
The fact is that if he hadnt changed it up and opt for the "break glass in an emergency", go man on man, when "Carnageville" was beckoining 15 mins in...then we would have been completely routed to the max... ;)

Despite it not being a good result for Richmond, I certainly though there were some positive signs.

Young Reiwoldt up forward looks a likely type - he's looking stronger and more confident, and should become a pretty good player for you guys.

Cotchin and Deledio are both bubbling away and look like they could step it up this year.

Jackson and Connors looked good.

The kids in Martin, Nason and Roberts all showed signs. Martin is going to be a good player, and once he gets his confidence up he will relieve the pressure a bit on the other midfielders, and just make it a bit harder to shut down all your options.

Nason had a few pretty average kicks, but also kicked a good goal, took a few good marks and looked competitive.

I thought Roberts showed some good signs, and I'd be looking to play him off perhaps a HBF on the smaller forwards - his run and carry looked good last night, he was eager to take them on and back himself. He probably lacks a little fitness and struggled at times to really be able to get to enough contests and follow the ball movement a bit better, rather than running in circles - but he showed some signs. From the back half he'd have a clear direction, and his speed would be useful.

Morton looked alright too up forward, and it's going to be pretty important for him and Jack to work together and really become a bit of a dup up in the forward half.

I didn't think Edwards was as bad as some have been suggesting either.

No doubt it will be a long year, but there is a lot to look forward to, and the more development you can cram into the younger blokes now, the better they'll become, and the more easily you'll be able to identify who will and who won't be able to make the grade long term.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season (except for next week of course!)

bar one of his disposals, all his disposals ended up creating something for us in the way of real deal cohesion and movement of the ball....what game were you watching dude? And the one that went to the space was a lesson to our FL on where they should be leading to, instead of all running into each other in one area....he looked up and thought ****ing hell, dont these guys know where they have to be and put it there...a big ****ing hole, inside 50 with no one there..that should have had a target waiting...FFS watch the game...the guy is a champ who will leave us purely because he thinks like a winning footballer should and plays with a bunch of players who havent got a brain, let alone think like winners. ;)

I suggest you take your own advice Cogga, what a load of bias crap you have just dribbled. I would be suprised if his efficiency was above mid 60%. I am not bagging him, if you read my post, I said by his standards he looked below par, which I am sure most would agree.

P.s. Its is all well and good to have an opinion but when you start stating what a player is thinking (got me how you would know) you just come across as though you have no actual knowlwdge of the game. :cool:

positive: all our better players had poor games and we sprayed a few shots at goal, but were still roughly in the game up to late in the third quarter.
negative: I've been saying that after games for the last 25 years.:eek:

On our first gamers:
Martin - got better as the pace went out of the game, but my early call is that he will overtake Deledio and Cotchin to become our best player as he gets some experience over the next few years.
Nason - looked like a deer caught inthe headlights inthe first half. To his credit he got some composure inthe second half and showed some good signs.
Roberts - chasing kicks up on the wing doesn't look like his game. He has a good turn of speed, but don't think he can maintain it for too long or do it repetitively. He will do better if we play a taller forward line who can bring the ball down for crumbers.

Positives from last night

- The G looked like a picture
- Richo's farewell was done well
- We didn't play McMahon or Tuck
- We blooded 4 players in RFC colours
-JR managed to do some good things despite being triple teamed - bring in Astbury and Griffiths and JR could really trouble some sides (in the future when our midfield can even up the inside 50 stats)
- could have been much worse last night. players had much smaller bodies than the blues, didn't have the fitness and were working a new game plan and we were only 3 goals down at half time.
- Relton could be a very good player IF he can build a tank
- Nason - can't believe i don't have him in my dream team. He's a footballer. Am looking forward to seeing him with next year with 15-20 games under his belt and a full preseason
- Cotch is A Grade - if he can get his fitness up to the elite level.
- Deledio did some sublime things - he has some of the cleanest hands off the deck under pressure and now has a really strong body. We really should be trying to use him like Gary Ablett and just get the ball in his hands as much as possible.
- Farmer - great kick. Long powerful and accurate. Put it on a plate for blokes under pressure from long distance - jury is still out on his ability to close down players though.
- Connors - looks quicker and more agile. I like him on half back and with 24 touches from 67 percent game time I think he has shown he can find the footy.
- Martin - seriously love how he goes about it.
- game plan - didn't quite click last night but showed signs of being able to cause turnovers. realistically though Carlton just waltzed around doing whatever they wanted.
- Hardwick's response to the loss. He is a professional.
- Thomson - needed to get more of it but is a workhorse.

Negatives
- Carlton's midfielders, half backs/half forwards were just way too big for our side. Robinson is second year and looked massive compared to some of our guys. Look at Carlton's flankers and they are nearly all approaching 190cm.
- Tambling - looked a shadow of himself when he was at peak form last year. Where was the run and carry, the link up play, the speed. I don't want him on the half forward line. Half back or wing and that's it. He showed last year he could be a quality player from these positions. We desperately needed drive last night from the hbf and through the midfield. Cotch, Lids, Martin showed some but very little. Tambling should go back to the hypnotist and got back to the hbf. Although his tackling was impressive.

Anyway it's going to be a long season. Looking forward to seeing Taylor, Griffiths, Astbury etc come in and hopefully show some signs.

I will make an early call on this one and I will get absolutely caned for saying this, but, in my opinion, Vickery won't make it. Has not shown one single glimpse of anything in any of the games that he has played to suggest he will be any better than OK. Usually you can see something straight away in a kid that you know is going to get somewhere.
I have not seen one thing in this kid at all.
Go on. Fire away. But I will stand by my comment.

You are joking!

I'll say this, Vickery will be our best ruckman since Mark Lee!

Hasn't had a lot of game time and the team isn't doing good which doesn't help. These young kids need confidence and positive thinking and the goods will come!

Positives from last night

- The G looked like a picture
- Richo's farewell was done well
- We didn't play McMahon or Tuck
- We blooded 4 players in RFC colours
-JR managed to do some good things despite being triple teamed - bring in Astbury and Griffiths and JR could really trouble some sides (in the future when our midfield can even up the inside 50 stats)
- could have been much worse last night. players had much smaller bodies than the blues, didn't have the fitness and were working a new game plan and we were only 3 goals down at half time.
- Relton could be a very good player IF he can build a tank
- Nason - can't believe i don't have him in my dream team. He's a footballer. Am looking forward to seeing him with next year with 15-20 games under his belt and a full preseason
- Cotch is A Grade - if he can get his fitness up to the elite level.
- Deledio did some sublime things - he has some of the cleanest hands off the deck under pressure and now has a really strong body. We really should be trying to use him like Gary Ablett and just get the ball in his hands as much as possible.
- Farmer - great kick. Long powerful and accurate. Put it on a plate for blokes under pressure from long distance - jury is still out on his ability to close down players though.
- Connors - looks quicker and more agile. I like him on half back and with 24 touches from 67 percent game time I think he has shown he can find the footy.
- Martin - seriously love how he goes about it.
- game plan - didn't quite click last night but showed signs of being able to cause turnovers. realistically though Carlton just waltzed around doing whatever they wanted.
- Hardwick's response to the loss. He is a professional.
- Thomson - needed to get more of it but is a workhorse.

Negatives
- Carlton's midfielders, half backs/half forwards were just way too big for our side. Robinson is second year and looked massive compared to some of our guys. Look at Carlton's flankers and they are nearly all approaching 190cm.
- Tambling - looked a shadow of himself when he was at peak form last year. Where was the run and carry, the link up play, the speed. I don't want him on the half forward line. Half back or wing and that's it. He showed last year he could be a quality player from these positions. We desperately needed drive last night from the hbf and through the midfield. Cotch, Lids, Martin showed some but very little. Tambling should go back to the hypnotist and got back to the hbf. Although his tackling was impressive.

Anyway it's going to be a long season. Looking forward to seeing Taylor, Griffiths, Astbury etc come in and hopefully show some signs.

Hey bst, agree with just about everything there, good summary from my point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was only 3 or 4 seasons ago we were touted as rabble and played accordingly. I see the tiges in a similar posi. Cotchin when he gets a full pre season will be a gun. Martin not far behind and having a bit of inside info astbury will match both. Your midfield will grow into an a grade unit. You have the potential in the forward line to eventually be good. Only one thing holding you back and that is time. You just have to be patient. Christ we have had to be with the blues and we are still couple of years away from seriously challenging. Anyway good luck for the season and enjoy watchin the kids grow...

Dont no why most people are bagging lids thought he played well it doesnt matter how much of ball you get its what you do with it. 44 for carlton got plenty of it but lids when he got it was a lot more damaging when using it.

I'm pretty similar to everyone else.

Nason was involved a lot and he looked ok.
Roberts looked good in patches (as did the whole team)
Farmer I thought was fairly good.
Cotchin got through unscathed.
Jackson tried hard all night, as did Thomson.
Jack looked good with his limited opportuninty. Lead hard and did well considering the amount of ball that came in.
Morton, see Jack.

Just something on our 'gameplan' at times during the first half, when Carlton had possesion in their defensive 50 they sturggled to get it out. We were happy to give them the cheap kicks sideways or backwards, but once they came up to half-back, they really had no real options. They were forced to kick to a contest and it was a 50-50 from there. This was a result of the zone or whatever you want to call it. It happened a few times and at other times the Blues just strolled out of their backline with ease. It was good to see the new gameplan working at times and with some more experience it will stick and teams will struggle to move the ball up the ground against us. I thought this fit in with our two mini come-backs at the end of the first and second qtrs. Just something I noticed.

positive: all our better players had poor games and we sprayed a few shots at goal, but were still roughly in the game up to late in the third quarter.
negative: I've been saying that after games for the last 25 years.:eek:

just watched the replay ....another 4th qtr fade out but 3 fairly competitive qtrs. up to that point.

nason, cotchin were very good, martin not so good,

but had we not gifted carlton as many goals through turnovers and kicked straighter ourselves (cuz, bling and jacko all sprayed easy set shots).

i was shocked with the first 10 minutes of the game,We were completely dominated , barely got our hands on the ball. I don't know what you can do about it? our centre bounce set up has got to be able to shut that down.
we might really get shown up against quality midfields in the next few weeks.

I'm pretty similar to everyone else.

Nason was involved a lot and he looked ok.
Roberts looked good in patches (as did the whole team)
Farmer I thought was fairly good.
Cotchin got through unscathed.
Jackson tried hard all night, as did Thomson.
Jack looked good with his limited opportuninty. Lead hard and did well considering the amount of ball that came in.
Morton, see Jack.

Just something on our 'gameplan' at times during the first half, when Carlton had possesion in their defensive 50 they sturggled to get it out. We were happy to give them the cheap kicks sideways or backwards, but once they came up to half-back, they really had no real options. They were forced to kick to a contest and it was a 50-50 from there. This was a result of the zone or whatever you want to call it. It happened a few times and at other times the Blues just strolled out of their backline with ease. It was good to see the new gameplan working at times and with some more experience it will stick and teams will struggle to move the ball up the ground against us. I thought this fit in with our two mini come-backs at the end of the first and second qtrs. Just something I noticed.

I'm more concerned at the other end. For the past 20 years every team gets the ball out of out forward line easy, either be stoppages or after a behind!

We need to fix that.

I suggest you take your own advice Cogga, what a load of bias crap you have just dribbled. I would be suprised if his efficiency was above mid 60%. I am not bagging him, if you read my post, I said by his standards he looked below par, which I am sure most would agree.

P.s. Its is all well and good to have an opinion but when you start stating what a player is thinking (got me how you would know) you just come across as though you have no actual knowlwdge of the game. :cool:

take a real hard look at the replay dude....watch that passage of play....you can see he looks at what is unfolding in front him and basically says **** this..I am putting it to where someone should be...as a ****ing lesson and a "i give up" with this shit....
Now I am going to go out on a limb here and barring the dudes proffesionalism on the field...ie he will give you what he has got week in week out, i feel that we will be farewelling him sooner rather than later...mark my words...i am tipping he will hang up the boots, maybe before the years out...he is soooooooooooooooooooo far ahead of the rest of the team barring a couple, in footy smarts, they are makng his game look shit, because they dont have a ****ing clue on what and where to be and what to do when they are there. It gets to top players in the twilight years....there is so much you can handle and then you say **** this..;)

just watched the replay ....another 4th qtr fade out but 3 fairly competitive qtrs. up to that point.

nason, cotchin were very good, martin not so good,

but had we not gifted carlton as many goals through turnovers and kicked straighter ourselves (cuz, bling and jacko all sprayed easy set shots).

i was shocked with the first 10 minutes of the game,We were completely dominated , barely got our hands on the ball. I don't know what you can do about it? our centre bounce set up has got to be able to shut that down.
we might really get shown up against quality midfields in the next few weeks.
When I watched the replay I was surprised by how little we touched it in the first quarter as well. When we got it, we did okay, I thought. But we were absolutely thumped for possession.

Also remarkable: Carlton's only behind in the first half was touched on the line. They could have been 12.0. I still think it's a great sign that we were miles behind in disposals yet ahead in scoring shots.

Lids' needs to pick his game up. He is constantly spouted by the richmond faithful as an elite midfielder, but he can't produce consistently on the night.

Even the most one eyed Richmond supporter can see he goes missing far too often. Once you can get him, Cotchin and Tambling playing some consistent, quality football across the entire night rather than in little spurts of briliance I think we will all see just how competitive you can be.

Lids' needs to pick his game up. He is constantly spouted by the richmond faithful as an elite midfielder, but he can't produce consistently on the night.

Even the most one eyed Richmond supporter can see he goes missing far too often. Once you can get him, Cotchin and Tambling playing some consistent, quality football across the entire night rather than in little spurts of briliance I think we will all see just how competitive you can be.

I don't think you'll find too many teams in the caper being competitive on the back of 3 players, or even 5-6 players for that matter.

In fact, I think you have it completely arse about.

Once we have 15+ players that are having an influence across the park, then you will see our better players shine... and I'm not just talking about one or two players shining, but several. Unfortunately, due to the young age of the players that will eventually hold down 50% of the spots in the team, it will take a couple of years before this actually happens.

Our tackling...

Not!

I was amazed (appalled?) at our poor tackling on Thursday night. It seemed that Tambling was the only one who could actually stick a tackle, especially in the first half when the heat was really in the contest.

If we are to seriously challenge any half-decent team, and be even mildly competitive, we need to lift out tackle rate and create some turnovers. It's the one KPI that would dramatically and noticeably lift our performance in the short term.

We do not have the skills or forward marking strength to chip our way into goal scoring positions like Geelong, St Kilda and Western do. We need to do the overwhelming proportion of our scoring sorties on the rebound before opposition teams can set up.

It seemed that Tambling was the only one who could actually stick a tackle, especially in the first half when the heat was really in the contest.

I thought the 9 tackles that looked good in the stats were poor. The majority were Tambo being 2nd to the pill. I would rather he use that pace and put in the extra hard steps and get to the ball first. It was just window dressing.

I thought the 9 tackles that looked good in the stats were poor. The majority were Tambo being 2nd to the pill. I would rather he use that pace and put in the extra hard steps and get to the ball first. It was just window dressing.

Bit simplistic there, Baz. Yeah it would be great if our blokes get our hands on the ball first, especially blokes like Tambling, Cotchin and Deledio who can usually use it constructively. But there were times (too friggin many last Thursday) where the opposition won the ball in tight, bumped it around between them in traffic, and cleared from the contest by slipping past Tiger players. At least Tambling did create a few fumbles and spills (some of which were clearly incorrect disposals that went wrongly unrewarded) which unfortunately weren't capitalised upon by his support crew.

Tambling has ironed out his disposal to become perhaps the most dependable in our squad, and has even greatly improved his decision-making since this time last year. He still needs to become stronger in the hips to shake tackles (he gets ******ed way too often) and impose himself more on the contest when WE have the ball. But his tackling is generally excellent.

I repeat - if we are to be competitive on the scoreboard, it is this facet of the game (i.e. tackling to create turnovers) which must be improved. We simply cannot beat opposition teams in slow motion progression of the footy into scoring positions. We simply do not have either the delivery skills nor the forward marking power.

Teams like Geelong and St Kilda regularly kick more than 60% of their goals from turnovers creatd by hard tackling. There is almost a direct proportion between "Turnovers Created" and "Scoring Opportunities Inside 50" stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back