Possibles & Probables

Remove this Banner Ad

Maverick

All Australian
May 14, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought Caracella was a touch unlucky to get dropped this week. The Lions do have a lot of depth. As I see it, barring injury, some players are certainties, some probables, some probables under the pump, and some possibles:

Certainites in no particular order:
1. Leppitsch,
2. Johnson,
3. Lappin,
4. Michael,
5. B Scott,
6. Voss,
7. Black,
8. Brown,
9. Akermanis,
10. C Scott

Probables - the other 12 players from Thursdays game v C'wood:
11. White,
12. Pike,
13. Brennan,
14. Lynch,
15. Power
16. Notting
Probables under the pump. IMO these players are under the pump, with possibles pushing for selection.
17. McGrath
18. McRae,
19. McDonald,
20. Ashcroft,
21. Charman,
22. Hart,

Possibles (players who missed Thursday's game):
23. Bradshaw
24. Keating,
25. Caracella

Others:
26. Shattock
27. Morrison
28. Copeland

Originally posted by Maverick
I thought Caracella was a touch unlucky to get dropped this week.

He was shocking last week - one of the worst performances from an 'established' player in our team for quite a while, IMO. He'll struggle to fit into our best 22, and may still have a few ahead of him on the emergency list. A replacement for injury, at best, unless he can improve all areas of his game at this stage.

Probables under the pump. IMO these players are under the pump, with possibles pushing for selection.
17. McGrath
18. McRae,
19. McDonald,
20. Ashcroft,
21. Charman,
22. Hart,

Hart, McDonald and McRae were all superb last night, and along with Ashcroft and Charman, have all been useful in their outings so far this year. McGrath has been reasonable as well.

Re: Re: Possibles & Probables

Originally posted by Stocka
Hart, McDonald and McRae were all superb last night, and along with Ashcroft and Charman, have all been useful in their outings so far this year. McGrath has been reasonable as well.

McRae was superb!!!! Turn it up Stockman. McRae was woeful. He laid 1 good tackle and that was it.

Yep...Beau was good last night....but the reason I listed him along with Charman as possibles, is because we have 3 ruckman...and all 3 of them are at risk of missing out when all are fit.

Hart..yep...he was good last night...only problem is that it was the first time he has looked half decent in the past year. Not good enough playing one good game every blue moon.

Morrison was the other bloke who was stiff to get the flick.

He was good against the Roos.

With Leppa struggling last night, Morro would have been handy at CHB.

IMO Morro could be a better option than bringing back D Bradshaw who is way too inconsistent.

IMO Morro could be a better option than bringing back D Bradshaw who is way too inconsistent.

Hardly.

Bradshaw's worst is still on a par with anything we've seen from Morrison in the seniors.

Bradshaw is a mile in front.

Re: Re: Re: Possibles & Probables

McRae was superb!!!! Turn it up Stockman. McRae was woeful. He laid 1 good tackle and that was it.

So his two goals don't count for much then? At least he makes his shots on goal count, unlike what we've seen of Caracella so far.

Likewise, as usual, McRae was involved in a number of good passages of play. He is sure-handed with the ball, and finds a target 9 times out of 10. I'd rather have McRae getting 10 good touches, than a mixed bag of 20 clangers from Caracella.

Come to think of it, I would rather McRae than Caracella anyday. McRae makes the most of his opportunities, and his work rate is higher as well.

With that said, hopefully Caracella can find his feet and get back to his classy form that he showed so often at Essendon. Only then will he be able to find a spot in the side - although, it looks quite a way off at this stage.

Yep...Beau was good last night....but the reason I listed him along with Charman as possibles, is because we have 3 ruckman...and all 3 of them are at risk of missing out when all are fit.

McDonald and Charman look to be the pick of the bunch at the moment. They were also our two preferred rucks for most of last year, with Keating making a cameo at finals time.

Keating is no slouch, but I tend to think his best may be past him, or only producable in spurts, as opposed to every week. Charman and McDonald provide us with a great level of altheticism, and their ability to perform to their highest standards physically every week is better than that of Keating.

Hart..yep...he was good last night...only problem is that it was the first time he has looked half decent in the past year. Not good enough playing one good game every blue moon.

Hart was very good in last year's finals series, and had a reasonable second half to the season overall. He has been solid so far this year, and at the moment I see no reason to drop him. In fact, I can't see anyone else pushing for his spot, apart from maybe Shattock (who I think is unlucky not to be in the side).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Possibles & Probables

Originally posted by Stocka
Charman and McDonald provide us with a great level of altheticism...

They do provide a single minded contest but their lack of around-ground marking - their agility - is a concern. See how they go v Darcy. Charman scored some goals which was good but they don't go back much.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possibles & Probables

Originally posted by OldLion
They do provide a single minded contest but their lack of around-ground marking - their agility - is a concern. See how they go v Darcy. Charman scored some goals which was good but they don't go back much.

I reckon they're improving with experience and physical development.

Likewise, Keating hasn't necessarily provided any more around-the-ground presence either, not at least since early in 2001. Even before then, he would take a while to get into things after returning from injury, and injuries since must surely have had their toll.

It's a bit harsh to match McDonald and Charman up against Darcy anyway. Darcy is one of the best in the business at around-the-ground rucking - it would be like comparing a young midfielder up against Voss.

It's interesting though, Hille was able to kick 4 goals on Darcy on the weekend, so even the best can be beaten by clever play (albeit, Hille is probably more of a tall key-forward than a true ruckman, in ideal circumstances).

Morrison won't play another game this year unless there are injuries or suspensions to key players.

Re: Re: Re: Possibles & Probables

Agree. McRae needs to start doing something and playing like he was last year or he will be dropped in the next few weeks.

Agree with this one also. Three genuine ruckman, 2 places in the team. A bad game to one of them, and the other comes in.

That I disagree with. Have you been watching any of our games this year? That's the most shocking statement I have read ever since Olmy wanted Brisbane to get Judd Lalich.

Hart has been superb this year and he will be up there in the best and fairest after 4 rounds, if not leading at the moment. He's been consistent all this year and this game against Collingwood was his best of the year. Hart is nowhere near being dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possibles & Probables

AAARGHHH!!

Now you've started me on my favorite hobby horse.

Sure, our ruckmen rarely figure prominently on the stats sheet for kicks, marks, handballs and goals.

But far from being a concern, I believe this fits in perfectly with our team style and match plan.

I've said this before but I'll say it again.

You only get so many possessions per match. I'd rather see our forwards marking and kicking goals, our backmen getting back and helping each other and spoiling and taking defensive marks and our on-ballers doing the field kicking, handballing and running up and down the park.

If your ruck personnel are doing a large slice of this work it means

a) the rest of your personnel are NOT doing what they're supposed to do for a significant part of the match time

AND

b) your ruckman/men are expending a hell of a lot of energy that they would otherwise be using doing what ruckmen are supposed to do.............win the ball at the centre square and at the ball-ups.

For the last 2 and a bit years, we have done pretty well WITHOUT our rucks running, kicking, handballing, taking marks in defence or attack, or taking many marks at all.

Why would we want them to start doing it now?

I suppose they could become de-facto ball players/forwards like D'arcy, Fraser (shudder)and Jeff White.

But how many flags have their sides won lately?

Originally posted by SpecialBruce
I'll believe it when I see it. The time he was given, he didn't show anything.
Called into the side to replace the injured Jonathan Brown in Round 3, he collected seven possessions in limited time and set up Michael Voss for several scoring opportunities.

Hmm, say no more.

cheers ... Kaz

Originally posted by Beausgirl43
Called into the side to replace the injured Jonathan Brown in Round 3, he collected seven possessions in limited time and set up Michael Voss for several scoring opportunities.

Showed more relish for the contest than Bradshaw but was a bit too keen to play on / off load rather than stamp himself on the game. I think he's got it in him.

Showed more relish for the contest than Bradshaw but was a bit too keen to play on / off load rather than stamp himself on the game. I think he's got it in him.

Spot on.

Seemed to be looking for Voss every time he got the ball (which probably wasn't a bad idea on the night ;) )

If he wants to succeed in a KP, he really needs to impose himself on games. If he can do this on a regular basis, he will jump up the pecking order.

I really hope he can come through, otherwise it's 4-5 years down the drain :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back