Review Practice match: Coburg v Northern Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

will be there so happy to write up a written report when i get back from game and ask any questions
my observations from preston today ,, 1st half was a rather scrappy affair lots of packs not much run and fairly uninspiring game ,, i thought we had the better of the contest were harder at the ball and seemed more intent in trying to score,, weas impresed with the big o great smarts and agility too good at this level,, tiggy was great all over ground , bicky was great also as was ohanlon combine those two together and you would have one awesome footballer,, helbig and grimes and darou all good in defence ,, whitey showed some real glimpses of dash and skill macintosh also good like his skill and run,, knighta did a couple nice things will be better for the run,, drex struggled ,, elton and mcbean ok tried hard ,, williams very classy looks a great long term prospect,, azza ok never really got into it that much,, not sure who number 33 was but he looked really good as did number 14 with the long hair,,,...

second half much more open more run as coburg really put the foot to the floor center clearance was awesome with tiggy and bicky clearing it at well big o and drex doing well in the ruck,, azza leading nicely strait up the ground where he slotted 3 goals ,, whitey,, knighta ,macintosh, helbig,and ohanlon all very prominent in a great 3rd term where we kicked 7 goals to none .. got a litte bit sloppy when players tried to be a little cute but overall it was a great quarter,,,, 4th quarter started slowly with preston kicking the first 5 goals ,, then a great mark and goal from elton steadied the ship, saad also kicked a nice goal as well simon did a couple of nice things he is very hard at the ball and very quick ,, still a couple of years away from being a consistent senior player but its definatley worth perervering with him..... our best were the big o--- arnott--- helbig--- vlaustin--- ohanlon and macintosh there is no way we will finish 13th as predicted in the paper we will just make or miss out on finals,,,, if u have any questions feel free to ask away hope u all have a great easter and see you all friday night as we tear the saints a new one

I was surprised to read that even with all the recruiting we have done and the added depth. Coburg are only expected to make up the numbers again. 13th I think the prediction was? Surely we will be a far stronger team than 13th
well what do they know, i recall reading most tipped the WB to come last and Lions as a dark horse, wonder what theyre thinking now:oops:

Match Report

Coburg 97
Northern Blues 41

Richmond FC listed players: Knights, Arnott, McDonough, Dea, Grimes, McBean, Helbig, White, Elton, Stephenson, Derickx, Edwards, McIntosh, Darrou (R), Williams (R), Verrier (R), Simon (R)
Carlton FC list players (those who I can confirm): Bell, Rowe, Warnock, Laider, White, Watson, Buckley, Davies

Match Review:
At the start of the first quarter it was all Northern Blues, they probably had the first 3-4 scoring shots but just couldn't convert. As the quarte wore on Stephenson, Vlastuin and Arnott gained ascendancy in the middle which allowed Coburg to go forward. For the most bit Coburg looked their best when running through the corridor although they did get burnt on occasions. Darrou, Grimes and McIntosh rotated through the talls. Darrou was particually impressive early give away cm's to his opponent but never losing a contest. Tim Clarke seems an impressive leader and it was good to see Mark Williams and Dimma there giving the boys alot of support at the quarter time break.
From the second quarter it was all Coburg, will goal accuracy the only issue. Helbig was mopping up everything as the lose man in defence as McIntosh, White and Knights also got into the game. Despite the fact they only held a 2 or 3 goal lead at the half, it was evident that they were by far the superior side and would get the chocolates.
From half way through the second through to three quarter time it was all Coburg. Edwards kicked 4 goals in the third quarter thanks to some good delivery and good coaching. He was isolated with Laidler deep and Laidler just had no chance. It was a purple patch for Edwards as he was catching or creating alot during this period. On the few occasions the Northern Blues went forward it was well mopped up by Dea, Verrier and McIntosh. The only downside was after about 8 or 9 straight goals Matt White and Chris Knights did a couple of "cute" things that Williams wasn't impressed about and should have cost us more then they did. The highlight of the quarter was big Liam McBean fending off two players in the pocket to snap a bewdy.
During the 3rd quarter address it was fairly obvious it was just about consolidating. Elton was moved in to the ruck and O'Hanlon down back - the much unsighted McDonough was also moved on the ball. The NB got a good start kicking the first 3 or 4 but they only ever got the margin back to 5 or 6 goals. Some impressive work by Elton, Arnott, Simon and Williams led to two final quarter goals to regain a healthy margin of 46 points.

On reflection it is probably a little bit difficult to gauge some performances as I am not sure how many more Carlton players were out there. Of those who were, it was really only Tom Bell who showed much fight.

Player review:
2. Dylan Grimes: Started on the ground at fullback and rotated with Darrou and McIntosh on the NB talls. Didn't have alot to do really. Took a really good contested mark and won a couple of good contests but didn't give much rebound. Has terrific closing speed. Sometimes my heart was in my mouth worrying if the hammy would go. Came off at 3QT. Hard to say whether he will play against the Saints.

7. Matt Dea: It is pretty obvious why he is held in such regard around the club. Very vocal and positive the QT breaks. Played well today linking off the half back flank. Would have had it 20 odd times and look very comfortable. Needs to look this comfortable at AFL level. Was probably our best player in Q4.

15. Chris Knights: Kicked a nice 50m goal in the first and got a bit of the ball on the flanks. Didn't have a massive game and probably finished with only 15 odd touches. Is good overhead but needs to find the ball more. Played a bit off HBF in Q1 and Q2 aswell.

27. Aaron Edwards: Started as a high HF/almost mid in the Q1 and didn't get a touch. Missed a sitter in the 2nd quarter before he finally kicked his first. Clarke isolated him against Laider in Q3 and he simply dominate kicking the first 4 goals of the half - pretty much icing the game. Was quiet in Q4. As PushupKing said, he probably needs to do a bit more when the delivery isn't A grade.

31. Nick Vlastuin: From the get go he got alot of the ball around the stoppages and generally used it well. He goes hard and tackles well. Would have had the ball 20+ times and was our best inside option along with Arnott. Got caught 2 or 3 times, which was simply a case of him trying too much. Was best in the first half, then was quieter in the second. His outside game needs a bit more work imo. I would give him a few more games at this level to try and build up a 4 quarter tank.

32. Brad Helbig: Played lose man in defence for most of the day and a little in the midfield. He is a really size now. For a guy who had a limited preseason he probably ran out the game the best. A real four quarter peformance. His delivery was outstanding and he got plenty of the ball. Was good defensively aswell. A really good base for him to build off going into 2013.

33. Kamdyn McIntosh: Started slowly (may not have even played Q1) but really got in to the game late. He is a really size Kamdyn, not much small then Grimes. Used the ball well, but aswell got caught a couple of times not being sure of what option to chose. Runs well and looks comfortable overhead. Is being groomed for a CHB role in my opinion.

34. Liam McBean: Won't play AFL for 2 or 3 years I wouldn't have thought. Didn't play ruck at all today - the fact that Elton did just shows how far away he is. In saying this he did a couple of good things and kicked a nice goal. Seems to have a lot of mobility for a guys his size and his good below his knees. Mainly played forward pocket.

35. Matt White: Played inside mid and high half forward. Has a bit of a frustrating day I think did Matt. He did a couple of nice things but probably didn't get the reward for effort. Is way too quick at this level.

36. Matthew McDonough: Started on the HBF and got a couple of touches early before going forward in Q2 and Q3 and subsequently disappearing completely. Went on ball in the last quarter and was really good. Probably had 3 or 4 clearances alone in Q4 and ran out the game better then most (probably because he played forward pocked most of the day)

37. Orren Stephenson: Basically schooled Warnock and Rowe in the ruck today. Was solid in the ruck but really did his best work around the ground. Often sold candy and took a couple of nice side steps to by the team some time. Not Maric quality, but will be a good relief ruck if needed.

39. Tom Derickx: Played a mixture of CHF and relief ruck. Didn't get a lot of the ball but actually hit a couple of contest really hard and took a fantastic mark in the 3rd. Didn't have a large impact on the game however.

43. Todd Elton: Played at full forward and Watson most of the day. Was probably a draw in the end. His role in the future has to be CHF forward. He simply glides across the turf and looks alot more comfortable extending for marks on the lead rather then wresteling. Kicked 1 goals and probably another 2 or 3 behinds.

44. Matt Arnott: Is really improving. Played a four quarter game today and would have finished with around 35 touches to be the BOG. Needs to clean up his disposal and work on his outside game more (though this has improved from last year). A criticism would be that he often gets up a head of steam after doing a fantastic tackle or hard ball get and then gives it away with an over ambitious handball or kick. Needs to keep his head in this situation.

45. Brett O'Hanlon: A super day from Brett. If Grigg and Deledio had a baby, it would be O'Hanlon. He has the ability to find space on the wing like Grigg, but then has the long raking kick of Lids. Was really good today and will play plenty of AFL in 2013 I would imagine. He went to HB in Q4 and probably had it 10 times in the last. Looks good overhead aswell. Needs to find more contested footy though. Doubt he would have had more then 5 or 6 contest possessions today. Kicked an opportunistic goal in the first.

40. Cadeyn Wiliams (r): Super impressive from Cadeyn today. I'm not sure how 130 odd guys went in front of him last year. Is an out and out midfielder who has a pretty well rounded game. Was strong on the inside and then didn't a couple of nice evasive manoeuvres on the outside to buy time today. Will go straight in to the Coburg Seniors.

48. Ben Darrou: Played a really good first half and held his own when the backline was under the gun early. Played a really good defensive and offensive game today. It is obvious why we retained him as a rookie.

49. Stephen Verrier (r): Made a blue or two early but made up for it as them game went on. He is another player who is a good size who is not timid at the contest. A couple of times he was too indecisive, but he wasn't punished. Played of the back flank and probably had it 15 to 20 times.

50. Gideo Simon (r): Was "subbed" on at half time for Jake Kings cousin. He is still a fair way off it imo. He has good pace and surprisingly good skills. Under pressure though he lost his feet on too many occasions. Has a lot of scope to improve but will probably start in Coburg's 2s

All done :)

More then happy to field any questions

44. Matt Arnott: Is really improving. Played a four quarter game today and would have finished with around 35 touches to be the BOG. Needs to clean up his disposal and work on his outside game more (though this has improved from last year). A criticism would be that he often gets up a head of steam after doing a fantastic tackle or hard ball get and then gives it away with an over ambitious handball or kick. Needs to keep his head in this situation.

Go Shapes!:thumbsu:

7. Matt Dea: It is pretty obvious why he is held in such regard around the club. Very vocal and positive the QT breaks. Played well today linking off the half back flank. Would have had it 20 odd times and look very comfortable. Needs to look this comfortable at AFL level. Was probably our best player in Q4.

My Boy! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match Report

Coburg 97
Northern Blues 41

Richmond FC listed players: Knights, Arnott, McDonough, Dea, Grimes, McBean, Helbig, White, Elton, Stephenson, Derickx, Edwards, McIntosh, Darrou (R), Williams (R), Verrier (R), Simon (R)
Carlton FC list players (those who I can confirm): Bell, Rowe, Warnock, Laider, White, Watson, Buckley, Davies

Love the format DustinsGuns hope we see more reviews and commentaries from you in the future

Do you think Arnot, O'Hanlon or Vlaustin did enough to challenge for a spot?

Next time you're there tell one of the coaches or something to toughen up O'Hanlon and get those contested possessions

Love the format DustinsGuns hope we see more reviews and commentaries from you in the future

Do you think Arnot, O'Hanlon or Vlaustin did enough to challenge for a spot?

Next time you're there tell one of the coaches or something to toughen up O'Hanlon and get those contested possessions

I actually think the coaches like O'Hanlon.

Unless Ellis comes out, I don't think any of them will come in. They would be the first 3 to come in imo (other then Grimes). I'm probably a bit disappointed from Knight's game from this respect.

Thanks for a great review DustinsGuns really enjoyed the read.:)

Exciting to hear about McIntosh and Elton...we've lacked true CHB and CHF for a while now, great to see that there are options developing at Coburg. Add to it the youngsters Vlastuin and Arnot going well in the middle, then not only do we have depth but it looks like our continued improvement is sustainable.

From your description it sounds as though Edwards was lazy in his play? Which is disappointing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back