Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

img-thing

That was my first thought.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Boots named in the 22. Did a job on Cornelius in the NAB GF, and is the best spoiler at the club.
I don't think he got the credit he deserved for his game in the NAB Cup GF. Too much emphasis was placed on the negative aspects of his game.

Sorry this is a little delayed. But I was there this morning.
As others have said it was very light and laid back session.
Carrazzo wasn't out there which was concerning. All the players just took it easy with some light running, shots for goal and simple transition practice.
I was there particullary early and got a glimpse of another group of players training that left the field about 45 mins before the other boys came on.
In that group was 11 players and included: Warnock, Temay, Watson, Squidda, Curnow, Menzel, White, Bucks, Dale, Cachia and Davies.
It was a higher intensity session than the other boys so I think it safe to rule all of these guys out this week.
I thought Judd look particularly sharp, free and focused in the session.

Sorry this is a little delayed. But I was there this morning.
As others have said it was very light and laid back session.
Carrazzo wasn't out there which was concerning. All the players just took it easy with some light running, shots for goal and simple transition practice.
I was there particullary early and got a glimpse of another group of players training that left the field about 45 mins before the other boys came on.
In that group was 11 players and included: Warnock, Temay, Watson, Squidda, Curnow, Menzel, White, Bucks, Dale, Cachia and Davies.
It was a higher intensity session than the other boys so I think it safe to rule all of these guys out this week.
I thought Judd look particularly sharp, free and focused in the session.
Mmm, interesting!

I know it's no longer pre-season but this still seems the most appropriate place for a training report.

No sign of Betts or Hampson today which adds considerable weight to the rumours of Betts' broken jaw and Hampson's appendix surgery.

Rehab/light duties group included Armfield, Menzel, Gibbs, Temay, Murphy, Waite, Tuohy, Graham, Scotland and Robinson. McCarthy was on the scooter early before joining the rehab group for some handball drills.

Jamison was doing straight line running only before disappearing about half way through the session. Looked to be having a discussion with the physio about his hammy.

The rehab group did one drill where they'd handball to Brad Green who would knock it on at any angle and they had to catch it, McCarthy was slow to react and dropped it about three times in a row so had to sit bent over in front of the group with his arse towards them while they all took a turn at throwing the ball at it.

Andrew McInnes did a fair bit of running along the boundary and looked to be moving comfortably. Was getting a heap of encouragement from everyone else, noticeably more than anyone else out there and I suspect he's been a real credit to himself during his rehab.

The rehab group went inside about half way through the session. Murphy and Gibbs came out and walked a few laps later, Robinson did some goal kicking practice and Menzel and Temay had a bit of a kick and a stretch together. Collins did a bit on the scooter later and O'Keeffe barely poked his head out to do some stretching.

The main group started off with a very light warm up and some pretty easy kick to kick drills and I was starting to think that may be it but I was pleasantly surprised at how the session went and how long it went for.

They eventually moved into a whole ground exercise where the ball would be brought out of defence either through the back flank or centre-half-back and then delivered onto half forward or centre-half-forward. Being a catch it, run and kick exercise Judd naturally looked fantastic, Bell and Bootsma also stood out carrying the ball and kicking it long.

Following this the defenders went into their own ball movement drill, leading around the defensive 50 and working on switching the play. Kade Simpson was in this group of defenders as was Andrew Walker. Lachie Henderson was matched up on Laidler and gave him a real touch up. The rest of the group were doing some clearance work and delivering it to the forwards. Carrazzo and Curnow looked the better clearance players of the bunch and Rowe must be commended for his enthusiasm and enormous voice while in the ruck. Yarran stayed with the forwards while this set of exercises was on.

David Ellard had been with the main group up until now mostly in the midfield and moving well but left to do some agility exercises to test his hammy out. Asked Cordy if he could join in with the forwards instead, probably eyeing off Betts' spot and Cordy told him to stick with his program to which Ellard replied in his own words something like "Oh that's a shame I'm not very happy".

The defenders joined back up with the group for the next exercise which was a clearance contest with huge numbers around the ball similar to what opposition teams are doing to us most of the time with the defenders matched up on the forwards. If the forwards got it they had a shot, if they defenders got it they worked on bringing the ball out to the midfielders along the boundary.

Simpson stayed in defence for this one as well, spending time in the back pocket and Garlett and Yarran. Looked pretty good rebounding too. Yarran was having a shot every time he got it, expect him to be trying to kick them from anywhere around the 50 from now on as it seems that's what the coaches want. The spread was generally good from the defenders and midfielders on their side, they regularly got the ball all the way up to their own half-forward line before re-starting. Lucas was running the ball out along the flank at one stage and Malthouse was screaming "Go long to space, long to space" before Lucas brought it inside the a group of four players that was almost marked by an opposition player. The group was called in for a little chat after that one.

They then split into a midfield group in the middle, forward group at one end and defenders group at the other all doing their own thing. I only focused on the forwards group and with Waite, Betts and Hampson not there it was Casboult, Mitchell, Buckley, Garlett and Yarran with the ball being kicked to a contest between Casboult and Mitchell and then crumbed by the smalls. Yarran and Garlett almost never miss those snaps around the body and goals from a tight angle, a lot better than Buckley in that area who looks really quick at the moment but almost put one into the Pratt stand. Mitchell is a real character, plenty of silly school yard type jokes after every shot on goal. Casboult way stronger in the marking contests.

Pretty good enthusiasm, decent intensity for this session but we do lack players with lots of voice out there, with only Robinson, Rowe, Duigan, Curnow and Ellard standing out. The session would've lasted more than 90 minutes so it was well worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anyone tell me the level of involvement Mick has in the actual drills down at training, i remember going to the odd Eagles session back in the day, and he would regularly participate in the drills, even saw him attempt a hip and shoulder on Jako once, i know hes nearing the age most of us retire, but does he still get involved or just mostly as a facilitator...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back