Review Preliminary Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly thought I was just stroking out from pure delirium.
Note: BRAB won't be attending the GF due to travel restrictions after being convicted of indecent exposure.

I'm not sure this has been commented on before here or anywhere but IMO the "running to far" free against Bez in the first minute of play is an absolute crock.

I've watched it five times.

From the time he takes possession to the time he kicks it, he takes 13, perhaps 14 at the most paces before delivering it to Cal, for what would have been a simple kick on goal.

They are not particularly long paces either.

It doesn't look like an obvious"run too far" free.

It looks like an overzealous umpire inserting himself into the game.

When you consider how many frees were subsequently ignored for a variety of other blatant infringements, it's baffling.

The more contentious decisions on field seems to be a function of the number of umpires there are strutting their stuff

I'm not sure this has been commented on before here or anywhere but IMO the "running to far" free against Bez in the first minute of play is an absolute crock.

From the time he takes possession to the time he kicks it, he takes 13, perhaps 14 at the most paces before delivering it to Cal, for what would have been a simple kick on goal.

When you consider how many frees were subsequently ignored for a variety of other blatant infringements, it's baffling.

The more contentious decisions on field seems to be a function of the number of umpires there are strutting their stuff
My instant reaction was just kick it mate but it wasn't any sort of blatant travel , these things are let go all the time. He ran 10-12m at most.

It would have been a spectacular start to the game for the crowd and those watching on telly and it just smacked of the umpy wanting it to be about him.

I'm not into conspiracy theories re umps or the AFL but you can guarantee if that were Cripps ,Dangerfield or Daicos there would've been no whistle.

I’m confident it was only because the Blues player put his arms out to try and point out how many paces he had taken.

When you've been around a while you begin to think the players are the same age as the players you knew 30 years ago and view both lots in the same light. Stupidly.

It was interesting to me watching our guys come back into the rooms with unbridled joy in their faces and their reactions to mates and fans like big kids, which they are.

I think we all tend to forget how young and inexperienced most of them are , we expect maturity from youngsters whose whole life has mostly been about footy.

Sure they get away with a lot being celebrities and all but likewise we expect too much and everyone needs time and experience to learn how to cope with the pressures that life throws up.

24 hours since the final siren everyone. What a night!
I think i'll hang around on cloud nine for a while yet. There's quite a few here. Just checked the last monorail to the G is leaving on Saturday at 12:00pm. Should disembark at Punt road station just in time for the Grannie.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3KZ is Football my Dad gave me a call earlier today to talk about the game and he said "That number 35 looks like a talented kid. Defended everything and kicked a goal. When did you sign him?".

The Lester legend is spreading far and wide.

My instant reaction was just kick it mate but it wasn't any sort of blatant travel , these things are let go all the time. He ran 10-12m at most.

It would have been a spectacular start to the game for the crowd and those watching on telly and it just smacked of the umpy wanting it to be about him.

I'm not into conspiracy theories re umps or the AFL but you can guarantee if that were Cripps ,Dangerfield or Daicos there would've been no whistle.

Didn’t Cripps win goal of the year in a play where he ran 30 metres ball in hand?

Man it must be nice to be so much of a “star” that you’re literally gifted a Brownlow

The notion that the Brisbane crowd were quiet goes in direct contrast to what I think most who were there would have experienced. Multiple times people around me got warnings from their smart watches of sustained loud noise up above 95dB.

Rewatching the game, the effects mics did not even come close to reflecting the true loudness at various times. Crowd cameras and mics seemed positioned closer to the Carlton sections. To be honest, for two and a half quarters the Carlton crowd were actually the ones who were embarrassingly quiet from where I was sitting. They sounded like they lost hope and faded very quickly. By the end they barely even roused a cheer at their late goal by Martin.

The Lions song (combined with the long siren) had watches pinging noise warnings for a solid minute.
We we’re in a small group of about 200-300 between the verandah and corporate boxes, exactly in the middle of ALL the visiting supporters (they who shall not be named).

It was Soooo loud, we never heard the siren, let alone that it went on and on and on.

I videod the last 30 sec and the 4 renditions of the lions song and could NOT hear the siren in the recording.

I'd say we were loud.

Lots of fun being the outpost in enemy territory and with a few cheerleaders leading the battle cry in the difficult 1st quarter. Then it became more fun as we caught and passed them in the 3 qtrs of my best football experience yet (14 yr member), yes, even the miracle on grass!

A couple of cringy parts but quite smile worthy overall >

How can you not love Robbo! Any other ex player wearing our oppositions jumper would not get the time of day from me or others I suspect....but Mitchy (in small doses;)) just makes you laugh. He has never hidden his love for Carlton after all this time....but remains absolutely loyal to us ...and it's all understandable.

I loved that blog/vlog (whatever they're called) above, his honesty of his love for both clubs allows him to get away with it.

I smiled all the way through, even teared up while still smiling a couple of times...he is one helluva character and we're stuck with him :grinv1:

..love ya Mitch:heart:

...and to think I didn't want him anywhere near my club, he wears you down!:tongueoutv1:

3KZ is Football my Dad gave me a call earlier today to talk about the game and he said "That number 35 looks like a talented kid. Defended everything and kicked a goal. When did you sign him?".

The Lester legend is spreading far and wide.
Nice, your dad is an astute judge. He had his best game on Saturday night, perhaps not statistically, but he was on the big stage and he was sensational. He performed exactly the way that I thought he would. Watching the joy of his teammates after Lester's second quarter goal really does demonstrate how respected and important he is to our group. I have said this before, but I have no doubt a career in coaching beckons when Lester eventually retires.

For whatever reason, he has been underrated by the football department at the Lions and by many supporters. For years I could see what he was capable of and I always had him rated higher than players who were getting a game ahead of him. Based on what we are seeing this year, it is hard to fathom that he only played 2 senior games last year and was an unused sub for another.

But that is all water under the bridge, because you can't turn back the clock. Lester really should have played many more senior games for Brisbane, but winning a premiership on Saturday would be a fitting reward you his years of hard work, resilience and loyalty.He has also earned his place on our list and I look forward to watching him play next year.

Was right in front of us. I thought at the time, he was getting close and in my experience once you notice the distance it's probably too late. I had few complaints with that call, though it deflated us completely.

THE GOOD

Harris Andrews - i think that's one of the best quarters i've seen any player put out there. Incredible. DIdn't just spoil - got it out of bounds. Marked. Gathered cleanly. Went through like superman at one point. Sometimes he looks panicked when is worried about our backline but he just made sure we stayed in the game.

Linc - don't remember a bad possession. So clean and calm

Kiddy - again so calm when others were worried. If he meant that pass to daniher in the second it's about the best kick i've ever seen, not sure he did haha

McKenna - made an error or two but kept going for it. Has me tearing my hair out sometimes but we need his dare. That goal was incredibly skillful and he was never missing

Goalkicking from 5 goals down - nailed all our gettable shots over 30 minutes or so. Just crucial

Gardiner - one brain fade free (curnow made sure the umpire saw) but vintage dizzy. Such a competitive beast.

Rayner's impact - helped change the game in the second. just put the carlton mids on the back foot

Dev's defence - he is a really important part of this team. Hits them hard. Always running hard to shut down outlets. a lot of unrewarded work

Fagan - preached calmness. sensed they were on the right path at qt and went for the encouragement path

THE BAD

Rayner's hands - just couldn't clunk them! only had 9 possessions as a result.

Dev's kicking - not sure you can improve at his age, he always has at least a couple of shockers

Charlie's composure - i think it was all a bit charlie centric with the obsession over coutnry roads etc. granny might be good for him, no songs, do your job. agree he needs to use the snap less. but not put it away. let's not forget the left foot snap v dees in the semi. simple rule should be more than 30m out on right no snap, mroe than 25m left foot no snap. he is a good drop punt

THE UGLY

That start - great recovery but after so much time to think about handling a prelim off a bye we were so flat. Hope it was discussed in the coaching analyis, not swept under the carpet

That umpiring - honestly some bizarre decisions. Berry pinged for going the same distance most players go (our first too far for the year!) McKay getting frees vs Joe when held. Cerra too high vs Bailey play on. Hipwood htb was borderline, i thought no prior. but the 50m was a disrgace. Stevic pointed really aggressively as if starce had booted it away. Really weird body language. i think early it was umpires going with momentum which happens. the carlton crowd were very loud. but that doesn't explain some of the latter ones. probably means we will get a better run next week

First time watching the replay of the non-high call on Bailey. I don’t think he did lean into it or did anything to increase the chance of being taken high

Hard not to believe that the ump wasn’t looking for a reason to not give us a free
He lowered the shoulder a touch, but how much of it was deliberate versus just turning... eh.

It was definitely no more than the high free kick at the other end.

There seemed to a subtle change in the ambiance in the room around there didn't it :)
Was this the actual broadcast that went out on SEN ?
They are actually rather pathetic . Surely they would be embarrassed .

Back